U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I never see speed traps except on 321 N between Gastonia and Hickory -- with a stretch around Lincolnton and past the I-40 junction in Hickory (going N but SB lanes are pulled over, as well) being the worst. My feeling is - I am not about to possibly draw attention to my car by flashing my lights. Folks know that this is the region's worst speed trap area and if they don't, not going to call attention to myself to make them aware.
The welcome to Gastonia committee They should create a police sub station as they are usually there at the 321 interchange. To much merging switching lanes to fiddle with flashing headlights. Alot of the speed traps are usual hang out spots for PD like the others you mention and Ill add for 85 travelers near Lexington particularly southbound towards Charlotte there a spot right after exit 91. If a highway that traveled often watch the speed near any cross over gravel roads in medians.

I rarely flash my lights except to warn I just past an accident, thank you to truckers for letting me merge or letting them know Im at safe distance for them to merge in front of me.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-27-2014 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM

489 posts, read 726,586 times
I still do it, but yeah, I rarely ever get the courtesy returned. Many times Highway Patrol hang out on 485 in the University area. No one ever warns.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,700,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
I still do it, but yeah, I rarely ever get the courtesy returned. Many times Highway Patrol hang out on 485 in the University area. No one ever warns.
Yeah was going to say I agree with the overall sentiment that I rarely see "speed traps" along the Charlotte highways, although I have been seeing more cops on 485 in the area you mentioned. Other than that the only time I notice them is when leaving Charlotte, such as on 85 north as Sunny mentioned, and sometimes along 74 going to the beach with all the speed limit changes.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The welcome to Gastonia committee They should create a police sub station as they are usually there at the 321 interchange. To much mergig switching lanes to fiddle with flashing headlights. Alot of the speed traps are usual hang out spots for PD like the others you mention and Ill add for 85 travelers near Lexington particularly southbound towards Charlotte there a spot rigyt after exit 91. If a highway that traveled often watch the speed near any cross over gravel roads in medians.

I rarely flash my lights except to warn I just past an accident, thank you to truckers for letting me merge or letting them know Im at safe distance for them to merge in front of me.
Yep. Welcome to Gastonia, Lincolnton and Hickory, lololol.

Some of my friends (and their friends) went to a game at AppState and got pulled over on 321 and were emoting on FB about the stretch up 321 N - they couldn't believe how many cops and it appeared they thought that they had been singled out b/c of their out of town tags. NOPE. This is 24/7 and has been that way since the road was laid, lol. Was on 321 N Friday and counted 5 different areas with cops using radar and every single one had folks pulled over. And there were 3 more I spotted driving within traffic.

There are also several speed zones - changes from 65 down as low as 35 (in Gastonia) and two other spots. So, it may FEEL like a trap on 321, but it isn't. However, the cops know folks are loathe to slow down or they aren't paying attention and don't notice the reduce speed ahead signs.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times
I don't see where flashing your lights provides much of a help anymore. It's a waste of time if you ask me.

I limit my illegal activity to less than 10 miles over the posted limit so I don't worry about speed traps. The po-po will not write a ticket for that.

On the other hand, if you are going for those, "throw you in jail overnight" kind of speeds, then you better have a better plan than looking for someone flashing lights.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM

106 posts, read 137,050 times
The State Troopers have always been heavy on 485 after Exit 41 (when it becomes a 3-Lane Highway), up until North Tryon at exit 29. They got me in 2012 and will never get me again. Now I know all the traps and at what areas its okay to go 75+ if needed. I see 1-2 cars pulled over every other day on my way to work and/or school, falling for the same traps. People need to get with the program so they can bother someone other than college students and the low/middle working class.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,650 times
I have done this as a warning for speed traps as well as a reminder if someone doesn't have their lights on at all, and I don't think the other driver had a clue as to why I was doing it!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
I often don't know people are flashing their lights at me.

It seems to mean different things.

For example, I was at a light, making a left turn. The oncoming car flashed his lights at me. I assume that meant for me to go ahead and go. So I did. He then honked and gave me a gesture that meant that was clearly not his intention.

Why the heck did he flash his lights?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I have done this as a warning for speed traps as well as a reminder if someone doesn't have their lights on at all, and I don't think the other driver had a clue as to why I was doing it!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 AM

986 posts, read 737,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A federal judge ruled in a case in Missouri this past February that flashing lights is legal first amendment right.
Judges often ignore precedent in cases like this. In order to have a first amendment right, you need the funds for an appeal. If you rest your initial court case on a first amendment right and make it obvious an appeal is coming, the judge is almost certainly going to impose a maximum sentence.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,413,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Judges often ignore precedent in cases like this. In order to have a first amendment right, you need the funds for an appeal. If you rest your initial court case on a first amendment right and make it obvious an appeal is coming, the judge is almost certainly going to impose a maximum sentence.
or the judge will make the right decision and uphold the case law, so as not to get ***** slapped by an appellate court placing his judiciary discretion in question with his peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte