U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

27 posts, read 67,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Our water bill keeps coming higher than the previous one. We are a family of 3 (wife, me and 18 month old son) . I called the county waterboard and they said there may be a water leak. So, I started taking the readings everyday.

1. Last week when I started, it was 28840 and today it is 29430. Does it mean we consumed 590 gallons of water or there is a multiplier I need to use to get the correct usage

2. How much is your average water bill ( I am sure it varies family to family)?

Note: since it rained last week I didn't turn my sprinkler on to see if it is a water leakage inside or outside. This is a 10 month old home and the first 6 water bills were around $50. Then it jumped to over $170 and last month it's $230.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,893 times
The water rate does go up with more water you use so it is not linear. Therefore no direct multiplier.
And yes it looks like either you have a leak, could be inside or out. I don't know how to go about looking for the leak.

But no it should not jump that much after 6 months of a more constant number

Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,734 times
Union County water dept will come out to check for leaks at no cost.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM

343 posts, read 486,315 times
Sounds like a definite leak. We are anywhere from 35 - 50 depending on how often sprinklers are run. This is over a 2 year period.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM

533 posts, read 764,871 times
How large is the yard? What type of irrigation system do you have, and how many zones are you watering and the times etc. $200+- is about right to irrigate a large yard over the summer. Water is not cheap

Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM

820 posts, read 1,529,234 times
It's a leak. I had a neighbor go through he same problem. Leak was hard to find until the weather dried out for more than a week and then he found it up next to his house. I hope the leak is close to the meter so that i would belong to the water system.

Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,547,061 times
Same thing happened to us in Union County. Leak was on our side, but we called the Water dept and they adjusted our bill as long as we submitted a receipt re: the leak and that it was fixed.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM

27 posts, read 67,725 times
Thanks for all the replies. I will call them to see if they can do an inspection

Sloante74, our lot size is about half acre. I would have to check the number of zones again (might be around 8 to 10 zones). Landscaping guy set it to water the lawn 3 days a week

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM

43 posts, read 46,484 times
This happened to us - same exponential growth of water bill in UC. Until they came out to find the leak, we turned our sprinkler system off (not just set it to 'off', but turned water off to the whole irrigation system) and this held our bills at bay until it was fixed. For us, it was a bad leak with the irrigation system. So, until we turned it off completely, it was constantly running

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 45,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT2012 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I will call them to see if they can do an inspection

Sloante74, our lot size is about half acre. I would have to check the number of zones again (might be around 8 to 10 zones). Landscaping guy set it to water the lawn 3 days a week
I'm perplexed when I see sprinkler systems going full blast during rain or after a total saturation of the grounds after heavy rainstorms. I'm new to irrigation systems, since the only major connection I previously had to watering a lawn was by hand/mechanical sprinklers and my prior lawn was primarily on the drainage field from our septic system. This irrigation business has been driving me batty with programming the controller and one zone not operating correctly -- with all the rain since I've been down here in June, I'm just activating the system manually, though I have a rain sensor attached to the controller.

I can see watering a lawn once or perhaps twice a week in normal conditions of incipient rain, but three times a week seems a bit excessive to me (and could damage the lawn) especially after the grounds have been saturated with heavy rainfall. It also seems contrary to good water conservation practices and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or