Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 PM

176 posts, read 289,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCali View Post
I've never had MX food from Charlotte but I've had MX food in Arizona and Chicago and its just not the same..the meat and how they cook it and the salsa...no one knows how to make carne asada fries other than San Diego taco shops. Go to Yelp.com and search Super Sergios in San Diego and check out the pics its DELISH!!!!
Native Californian weighing-in here. I moved to Charlotte 2.5 years ago. I have not found any local Mexican food I like as much as my CA favorites. Carowinds theme park & Carolina Whitewater center are fun, but not really comparable to the Disney/Knotts/Six Flags/ LA based mecca. You are farther away from the coast & mountains (3.5 hours from the coast and 2 hours from the Blue Ridge). San Diego weather, of course, is superior.

Having said above, I will NEVER regret moving to Charlotte. I don't anticipate living here forever, but my experience has been very enriching. I like the diverse weather! Yes, you get some humidity in the summer but you also get summer thunderstorms, 4 seasons, a mild winter with a couple of snow days and spectacular spring/fall. The city and suburbs are beautiful with stately brick homes, an amazing tree canopy, winding & rolling topography, and tons of colorful flowers. Charlotte is a large Metro and everything you need/want is convenient and proximate.

Although the coast is 4 hours away, areas like the Lowcountry are beautiful and distinct. We frequently spend long weekends in Charleston, Hilton Head and Savannah. The history is interesting, the seafood is great and the water is warm.

We also enjoy the Blue Ridge. For me, nothing compares to the Sierras but the Blue Ridge is remarkable in its own right and we really like Asheville and the surrounding area.

We made the eight hour drive to Disneyworld this past winter and had a wonderful time. Savannah is a great half-way point. As mentioned previously, Carowinds is 15 minutes away and a great roller coaster park.

Atlanta is also four hours aways and also worth a couple of trips per year. DC is six hours.

The Charlotte airport is fantastic! Great options to get back to CA to visit family, etc.

Although I prefer CA Mexican food, I certainly enjoy Carolina BBQ & sweet tea!!

In summary, the move to Charlotte has been an enriching and engaging experience for me and my family. I still love CA, but now I love Charlotte too!

Best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 PM

23 posts, read 37,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
Yes, we have an amusement park called Carowinds, and there are places to go out and dance and have drinks. Charlotte has around 800,000 people and the area has over 2 million. Every "normal" thing you can do in a city you can do here.
reassuring for sure. Once thing i'm concerned about is interracial dating? I'm filipino and my husband is black, I heard that a lot of ppl in the south are not open to that. Your thoughts?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM

95 posts, read 162,089 times
Definitely not true. If anything the interracial couples in Charlotte are up there with that of DC/NY/LA. Will always have some people that may stare here and there but they're mostly older people.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,238,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
Native Californian weighing-in here. I moved to Charlotte 2.5 years ago. I have not found any local Mexican food I like as much as my CA favorites. Carowinds theme park & Carolina Whitewater center are fun, but not really comparable to the Disney/Knotts/Six Flags/ LA based mecca. You are farther away from the coast & mountains (3.5 hours from the coast and 2 hours from the Blue Ridge). San Diego weather, of course, is superior.

Having said above, I will NEVER regret moving to Charlotte. I don't anticipate living here forever, but my experience has been very enriching. I like the diverse weather! Yes, you get some humidity in the summer but you also get summer thunderstorms, 4 seasons, a mild winter with a couple of snow days and spectacular spring/fall. The city and suburbs are beautiful with stately brick homes, an amazing tree canopy, winding & rolling topography, and tons of colorful flowers. Charlotte is a large Metro and everything you need/want is convenient and proximate.

Although the coast is 4 hours away, areas like the Lowcountry are beautiful and distinct. We frequently spend long weekends in Charleston, Hilton Head and Savannah. The history is interesting, the seafood is great and the water is warm.

We also enjoy the Blue Ridge. For me, nothing compares to the Sierras but the Blue Ridge is remarkable in its own right and we really like Asheville and the surrounding area.

We made the eight hour drive to Disneyworld this past winter and had a wonderful time. Savannah is a great half-way point. As mentioned previously, Carowinds is 15 minutes away and a great roller coaster park.

Atlanta is also four hours aways and also worth a couple of trips per year. DC is six hours.

The Charlotte airport is fantastic! Great options to get back to CA to visit family, etc.

In summary, the move to Charlotte has been an enriching and engaging experience for me and my family. I still love CA, but now I love Charlotte too!

Best wishes

Great post and that about sums it up. No matter the quality of food in the new home, the food will never equate to regional specialties back home or mama's cooking.

I've never quite understood why some people can't seem to enjoy both regions or all regions of the US. ....the OP will be just fine here.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:09 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,554,856 times
Quote:
reassuring for sure. Once thing i'm concerned about is interracial dating? I'm filipino and my husband is black, I heard that a lot of ppl in the south are not open to that. Your thoughts?
No one cares...

it isnt the 60's.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,444,834 times
I am not the one to talk to about Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. There was one right down the street from us in LA and I didn't like it. There are other food establishments I miss though, just not Roscoe's!

I no longer live in LA, I live in Charlotte now.

Dawn

Quote:
The other reason is because my husband's brother lives in NC. But you are right, there's other options but I would rather move to NC where i know we have family. It's a big move so I'm looking forward to visiting.

You live in LA? Have you been to Roscos Chicken and Waffles? I know it won't be as good as NC but it might be close to it.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 14,409 times
Quote:
I have kids and I take them out on the weekends to Theme Parks like Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, Seaworld, Aquatica etc....for my husband and I we like dance (hip hop) and have a few drinks. Does Charlotte have these type of places?
I live in San Jose and am considering Asheville because we can't afford Calif. any more and can take our income with us. You honestly don't sound like a very good candidate for a major move - if you do those sorts of things on weekends you are living a pretty different lifestyle. You sound a bit like you want to reproduce all that in another area.... I think the point of moving is to experience the different lifestyle. When folks move and want everything to be like where they left you get the folks who get a bad reputation.

The weather will suck compared to San Diego and San Jose, I'm taking that as a given but also knowing I"ll experience nice aspects of other weather, like not being brown and dry and parched all the time!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 16,837 times
Charlotte is an amazing place to live (Not giving in-depth explanations because I don't want to stay up all night typing a responses LOL)

Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 PM

180 posts, read 343,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post

Best wishes
THANK YOU! We're leaving for Charlotte tomorrow to consider relocation and this is the most positive description I've heard yet!!! Someone in this forum actually told me not to move b/c I said I love where I live now - and that Charlotte would never meet my expectations. Talk about a DOWNER. I think loving where I live now just means I know how to appreciate all the good things about my surroundings, not that I can't do the same somewhere else......... Thank you again, can't wait to see YOUR Charlotte!!!!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,256,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
THANK YOU! We're leaving for Charlotte tomorrow to consider relocation and this is the most positive description I've heard yet!!! Someone in this forum actually told me not to move b/c I said I love where I live now - and that Charlotte would never meet my expectations. Talk about a DOWNER. I think loving where I live now just means I know how to appreciate all the good things about my surroundings, not that I can't do the same somewhere else......... Thank you again, can't wait to see YOUR Charlotte!!!!
LOL, I moved from NJ too (and liked it, although probably not as much as you). And I like Charlotte better. I was just saying with the way you describe how much you like where you live in NJ it sounds like you're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you move anywhere else (not just Charlotte).

The biggest advantage for me is the weather (although for this thread it wouldn't be an advantage over CA). The summer can be hot and humid, but it gets hot and humid in NJ. There's probably not a day in the year where I couldn't wear shorts if I didn't want to (although yes it does get cold). Other than that, compared to NJ (and probably CA, haven't been there much), there is a lot less traffic and IMO the drivers are a lot less aggressive (although you'll get complaints about both). There is even decent pizza here, which I couldn't find when I lived in MD for a couple years. Can't really comment on the CA-style Mexican food though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte