U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM

51 posts, read 113,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vammo View Post
LOL! Matthews is straight GANGSTA??!!!???

That you would mention Matthews and high crime in the same sentence is pretty crazy. Growing up...and still, Matthews has the rep for the most strict and pervasive police presence. Period. Mint Hill only recently (5-7 years??) got the same type of police protection as Matthews....and they use Matthews' 911 service after hours and weekends.

I mean, just look at the area H.S. for Matthews (Butler and Providence). They are amongst the best in the region (in performance, facilities, and safety).

In 20 years, I've never heard someone say Matthews is high crime until I read this post.
Well, that is wonderful to hear. I never said it was gangsta. All I said is check it out before you live there. Knowledge is power. Crime can hit you anywhere.

Also, I never said Matthews and high crime in the same sentence, and I never said it was high crime period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM

45,220 posts, read 57,400,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vammo View Post
LOL! Matthews is straight GANGSTA??!!!???

That you would mention Matthews and high crime in the same sentence is pretty crazy. Growing up...and still, Matthews has the rep for the most strict and pervasive police presence. Period. Mint Hill only recently (5-7 years??) got the same type of police protection as Matthews....and they use Matthews' 911 service after hours and weekends.

I mean, just look at the area H.S. for Matthews (Butler and Providence). They are amongst the best in the region (in performance, facilities, and safety).

In 20 years, I've never heard someone say Matthews is high crime until I read this post.

Thank you so much for replying to the idiotic statement made above by someone who has only been in the Charlotte area ONE MONTH. Taking their opinion as good solid information is like letting a baby play air traffic controller at the airport

Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 PM

14 posts, read 23,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex23 View Post
we might be moving to NC, what are your thought on Charoltte vs Matthews? Like everyone else looking for good schools & a good place to raise kids. How is youth soccer ? Do they have competitive teams ? Do they have competitive swimming?
Need a little help here.

Thanks
I agree, to raise children Matthews is more family friendly. The schools are better than CMS. If you visit CharlotteParent.com you can get an idea of the sports offered

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,356 times
perhaps you should check the police website before you get offended. The post is pretty accurate!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 PM

264 posts, read 613,966 times
indy5k, Matthews IS in CMS. The middle school kids who live in my South Charlotte neighborhood go to Crestdale, which is in Matthews, and a lot of Matthews kids I know go to Providence or Independence -- the schools do not necessarily follow city/town borders, nor should they, since it's all the same major school district, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. I know kids in my S. Charlotte neighborhood who go to Crestdale Middle in Matthews, and I know kids in Matthews who go to schools in the Charlotte city limits.

I live just outside of Matthews and I don't really see any difference in "family friendly"-ness. Honestly there are some seedy areas of Matthews as well, especially along Independence. Crime is everywhere here, especially in CMS schools, even the ones in Matthews.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 PM

36 posts, read 63,235 times
My wife and I landed in Matthews and enjoy living on this side of Charlotte. There are great opportunities for dance, swimming, soccer. I definately recommend MARA however there are others like http://www.upward.org/. The local YMCA (one of the best in Charlotte I feel...and I'm a member) has a wonderful facility and may have swim programs there for children. Mine is too young enough to do sports. Plus, you're in between the Charlotte Acquatic swim center and the Monroe Acquatics and Fitness Center, about 20min each way.

As far as schools go, check out http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ as they have great data on the schools. Under construction and should be ready for the '08 school year is the new Stallings Elementary. Stallings is matthews but on the union county side of the line. My deed and mailing still says Matthews. In addition to the new school, the taxes are lower but the properties are limited since the town covers such a small area.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:49 PM

329 posts, read 647,602 times
What about huntersville and north meck high school? are they safe from major mayhem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte