U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,670,326 times

Advertisements

Wow, 6 rep points in 5 minutes, must have hit some nerves. Thanks guys! You must all be smokers too?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:07 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,634,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
My husband is doing a contract in Charlotte now and I could not BELIEVE they still allow smoking in a lot of the restaurants. We ate at Olive Garden in Gastonia a couple weeks ago, and as soon as we walked in we were blasted by a a cloud that wafted over from the smoking section that is right by the front door and BTW the "waiting" area for people to be seated. I honestly have not been to a restaurant in about 10 years in the US that still allows smoking. Why is North Carolina behind the times on this??/
You know, I can't find a single state that has a total ban on smoking in restaurants without some sort of exception to the ban.

The NC General Assembly just voted on the issue in the 2007 session. It failed to pass. It will probably be reintroduced in the next session. City and county governments do not have the legal authority to pass such a ban without the approval of the state. However, privately owned businesses may ban or restrict the use of tobacco at their own discretion.

State Smoking Restrictions - http://www.restaurant.org/government/state/docs/SmokingRegulations_Jan08.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 12-21-2007 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,648,206 times
I always choose non smoking establishments. I can't take more than three minutes next to a smoker, especially indoors AND eating.......NASTY!!

As long as I'm a non smoker, smoking establishments will not get my coin.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,641,898 times
I remember once visiting New York City, we were living in Oregon at the time for 5 years, progressive green state that it is, so in this fancy restaurant, we asked the maitre' d to please seat us in the non-smoking section, he gave us an absolute venom-filled look, reached down for his cigarette, blew a large cloud of smoke in our faces, said, "There is no such thing" and then seated us. I was amazed...

Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I always choose non smoking establishments. I can't take more than three minutes next to a smoker, especially indoors AND eating.......NASTY!!

As long as I'm a non smoker, smoking establishments will not get my coin.
Thank you Mike for responding to the thread. I think you are the perfect example for why the market should control this issue. Cigarettes have obviously become taboo over the years and is increasingly unpopular. As the number of people who choose, like yourself, to not be around cigarette smoke, the more restaurant owners will decide to become non smoking establishments. When people have the right to choose between any commodity in the market, the market has proven time and time again that it can address an issue like cigarette smoking. If the restaurant owner sees his wallet getting smaller, he will have no choice but to become non smoking. It truly is the beauty of the market and is the best place for the public to express their opinion, sans Nanny.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 PM

628 posts, read 1,855,168 times
I am a non-smoker...I cannot stand it! However, I feel privately owned places should be able to make it's own decision as to allow smoking or not. No one forces anyone to eat, drink, or work there. There are plenty of options for all smokers and non...make the decision as to where you want to go.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
I remember once visiting New York City, we were living in Oregon at the time for 5 years, progressive green state that it is, so in this fancy restaurant, we asked the maitre' d to please seat us in the non-smoking section, he gave us an absolute venom-filled look, reached down for his cigarette, blew a large cloud of smoke in our faces, said, "There is no such thing" and then seated us. I was amazed...
hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I pictured a Dick Tracy like cinema when reading your post. Was he French?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM

870 posts, read 3,209,996 times
I am not a smoker but my parents and grandparents were. I do not like the smell and I try to avoid places where smokers gather and the smoke lingers. But I do believe in everyone having their rights not violated. I do not like people or the government telling me what to do, how to live or where to live. I choose the restaurants I want to eat in and I shop in the stores I want. I don't force organizations that push their agenda's and political correctness on others to go away because they have their right's too. Just don't push your agenda on me.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 PM

876 posts, read 3,481,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post

A mall is a place where smoking is banned because people must access the stores through the common areas, "the mall." People have no alternate entry/exit therefore they would be required to walk through smoking if it was allowed.
So when I enter a restaraunt, where is the non-smoker entrance? I gotta know because this drives me up a wall as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,641,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I pictured a Dick Tracy like cinema when reading your post. Was he French?
don't know if he was French but he was very mean and very scary and very intimidating. It was the same restaurant where the waiter criticized what I chose to order, he disapproved of the appetizer that i selected to go with my entree. Very expensive, I mean dinner for two was close to $150!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte