U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:43 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
although I still can't find an answer to my previous question...since they apparently may be trying to charge back taxes for years that people didn't even live in their house, shouldn't someone who didn't win their appeal for 2-3 years after the initial revaluation be due a refund for those 2-3 years?
So I think I may have gotten an answer to my question...yes. Fortunately the county realized Pearson's number was ridiculous after my appeal. The county appraisers that came out were actually really nice and pretty much admitted they weren't sure where Pearson's got some of their numbers from. They were actually able to lower my value to a couple thousand lower than what it was after I previously appealed, so in the end I guess it all worked out. They did think that I should get a refund for the years before I had previously appealed.

So hopefully everyone that didn't agree with their values appealed! Unfortunately, the issue of having to pay years of back taxes still exists for many of the homeowners that had their values increase. I think it's laughable that the Senator who wrote the bill (Bob Deaton's neighbor, speaking of which Mr. Deaton still hasn't sold his house but after over a year on the market actually raised the asking price...someone might need to tell him how real estate usually works), is calling that part of it completely unfair...well gee maybe he should have thought of that when writing the thing.

After revaluation re-do, some property owners owe more taxes*|*DavidsonNews.net

Fortunately, it doesn't look like county taxes will be raised because of this mess (yet). The city of Charlotte may not be so lucky.

Refunds from 2011 revaluation review nearing $70 million | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:54 PM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,866,161 times
Reputation: 7945
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So I think I may have gotten an answer to my question...yes. Fortunately the county realized Pearson's number was ridiculous after my appeal. The county appraisers that came out were actually really nice and pretty much admitted they weren't sure where Pearson's got some of their numbers from. They were actually able to lower my value to a couple thousand lower than what it was after I previously appealed, so in the end I guess it all worked out. They did think that I should get a refund for the years before I had previously appealed.

So hopefully everyone that didn't agree with their values appealed! Unfortunately, the issue of having to pay years of back taxes still exists for many of the homeowners that had their values increase. I think it's laughable that the Senator who wrote the bill (Bob Deaton's neighbor, speaking of which Mr. Deaton still hasn't sold his house but after over a year on the market actually raised the asking price...someone might need to tell him how real estate usually works), is calling that part of it completely unfair...well gee maybe he should have thought of that when writing the thing.

After revaluation re-do, some property owners owe more taxes*|*DavidsonNews.net

Fortunately, it doesn't look like county taxes will be raised because of this mess (yet). The city of Charlotte may not be so lucky.

Refunds from 2011 revaluation review nearing $70 million | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer
I was worried about owing those prior years if mine went up even though I just bought this house recently. They said if the house was undervalued, I would have to pay back taxes for each of the years back to 2011. However my house actually was valued too high so they are giving the refund including the year I paid upfront at closing, but back to the people I bought the home from. I didn't think that was fair but whatever, glad I didn't have to pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I was worried about owing those prior years if mine went up even though I just bought this house recently. They said if the house was undervalued, I would have to pay back taxes for each of the years back to 2011. However my house actually was valued too high so they are giving the refund including the year I paid upfront at closing, but back to the people I bought the home from. I didn't think that was fair but whatever, glad I didn't have to pay!
I think they were trying to pass a bill saying you didn't have to pay the back taxes if you didn't live there, but haven't seen if it actually passed. That seems like common sense and probably illegal, but really just having to pay back taxes for 3-4 years ago in general doesn't seem fair IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 09:11 PM
 
1 posts, read 694 times
Reputation: 10
Our property was valued at $69,000 before, now at $98,000 as of 1/1/2011, in the midst of a flat market. We had a real estate agent appraise it for sale and came up with around $80,000 in June 2015. This is high-way robbery by Mecklenburg Cty to be assessing on $98,000 4 years back. Our counter evaluation with supporting documentation was rejected, without any explanation by the county. I asked for supporting documentation to support their outrageous value, but no response of course. This isn't any better than Russian government tactics under Putin. Isn't there a class-action lawsuit we can join to demand full accountability from the county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2015, 09:39 AM
 
2,828 posts, read 4,135,372 times
Reputation: 6836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merks View Post
Our property was valued at $69,000 before, now at $98,000 as of 1/1/2011, in the midst of a flat market. We had a real estate agent appraise it for sale and came up with around $80,000 in June 2015. This is high-way robbery by Mecklenburg Cty to be assessing on $98,000 4 years back. Our counter evaluation with supporting documentation was rejected, without any explanation by the county. I asked for supporting documentation to support their outrageous value, but no response of course. This isn't any better than Russian government tactics under Putin. Isn't there a class-action lawsuit we can join to demand full accountability from the county?
The 'value' of the property now and in June of 2015 has no bearing on the 2011 tax valuation. The only way to fight the 2011 tax valuation is to use data from before 1-01-2011 to prove a lower value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
246 posts, read 502,284 times
Reputation: 160
We just put our house on the market and found out that our house is 300 sq ft smaller than what is listed on the county website. Should we bother challenging our revaluation on this basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,802,302 times
Reputation: 9381
Why refund money? Why not give a credit towards future property taxes and limit the refunds to only those who do not own the subject property any longer? Instead of the state/municipalities being on the hook financially to refund this money, let the banks handle it through the federally required escrow analysis and let people opt in for a refund, otherwise let it be a tax credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 AM
 
1 posts, read 322 times
Reputation: 10
I sold my property back on 1/31/2014 and recently got 4 tax bills for increases due to the reevaulation. Meanwhile, back in 2011 they dropped my property value by almost $40k but now they are saying the land is worth more. Seriously? I received the bills in November of this year and they are due January 2017. I filed my appeals but I am curious if there is a class action lawsuit against them for this issue? I moved out of the state back in 2011 due to the economic downturn and couldn't sell my house until 2014 but still maintained it and paid the taxes on time. Now, because I bought a home they suddendly send me bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top