Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:57 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte Observer reports that Pearsons is approximately 58% through with the review of the 2011 Mecklenburg County BOTCHED property valuation. So far, property owners will be refunded 16 million dollars!

The current Mecklenburg County tax assessor Ken Joyner said 82% of properties had no value change because many values were corrected before the Pearsons review began in October of 2013. I wonder if we will ever really know how many properties were originally overvalued. I doubt that figure will ever be released.

Thankfully, the state law forced this current review and property owners that were jerked around for years are getting their due. Certainly took long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
So if homeowners already had their value corrected through appeals then that's the value they'll use? If they weren't able to get it corrected for a few years will they still get refunded for the years they paid the higher value?

Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So if homeowners already had their value corrected through appeals then that's the value they'll use? If they weren't able to get it corrected for a few years will they still get refunded for the years they paid the higher value?
Pearsons is assessing all of the properties in Mecklenburg county - even those that had been through an appeal. I appealed my 2011 tax value and received a 'revised' value based on my appeal. Then Pearsons did a review and my tax value was increased by about $1,400. For example - Original tax value - $100,000. Revised value after appeal - $80,000. Value after Pearsons review - $81,400. My guess is that they figure I wouldn't argue over $1,400 (and they were right).

Refunds are required to be paid for each year that homeowners paid based on incorrect values. I know a few people that have received many thousands of dollars in refunds.

It is unfortunate that the original tax assessor and tax assessors office would not admit from the start that many of the 2011 tax values were grossly inflated. The tax assessors office could have corrected many of these values early on and this would have saved taxpayers many millions of dollars.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Pearsons is assessing all of the properties in Mecklenburg county - even those that had been through an appeal.
That's what I thought, but then I was confused by the statement saying 82% of the properties had no value change. Especially considering they're apparently even changing the value as little as $1,400 even for values that have already been successfully appealed. I know $1,400 isn't much but how can they even justify raising the value at all for a house that's already been changed due to appeal?

Was curious about the refunds as I've been in my house 2.5 years but just successfully appealed last year, and wanted to make sure they wouldn't use my just appealed value as the basis for if I got a refund. (I've said in the past I would've been okay with no refunds and just redoing the reval based on current values, but if they're giving refunds I better get one too).

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
$1400?

I got one for $1000. (increase)

Got 3 separate first class letters for it too. One for each of the years in question. By the time they actually bill me, I suppose 3 separate times, they will have spent more money than the tax on this. It's got to be one big inefficient mess down there.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
$1400?

I got one for $1000. (increase)

Got 3 separate first class letters for it too. One for each of the years in question. By the time they actually bill me, I suppose 3 separate times, they will have spent more money than the tax on this. It's got to be one big inefficient mess down there.

Yeah. I am sure we are being counted in those that had their tax values 'increased'! What a joke this entire revaluation process has been.

Kudos to the county commissioners and taxpayers that fought to have the revaluation redone!

Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM

I see ole Bob Deaton hasn't sold his house yet although he hasn't budged on the $1.5M price tag in a year. Also looks like 2 of his neighbors are trying to sell their homes for $250K-$400K above their "fraudulent" values as well (apparently one is willing to trade for a beach or mountain house, that's a new one for me).

Old 08-12-2014, 01:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
$16m (NET) might seem like small potatoes ($5 per capita per year) but I think some context is needed.

If the results come back and some geographic areas were overbilled by $100m while others were underbilled by $84m, the result is much more significant than the $16m revaluation figure would initially suggest. If that's the case then the property revaluation, as slow and painful as its been, was probably worth doing.

I hope once this is all said and done, someone publishes a map of total revaluation by neighborhood. I think there are going to be a lot of upward revisions in neighborhoods East and West of Center City and downward revisions in South Charlotte.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I see ole Bob Deaton hasn't sold his house yet although he hasn't budged on the $1.5M price tag in a year. Also looks like 2 of his neighbors are trying to sell their homes for $250K-$400K above their "fraudulent" values as well (apparently one is willing to trade for a beach or mountain house, that's a new one for me).
I guess by your use of "fraudulent" you think the redo should not have happened? I am pretty sure you would feel different if you were one of the thousands that have overpaid for 3 years!

Also, it doesn't matter what a home sells for now in 2014 (or what it is listed for, etc.). By law, the 2011 tax valuation had to be done as of 1-01-2011. ONLY sales that occurred before 1-01-2011 could be considered. In some areas the market is considerably different now than it was on 1-01-2011.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I guess by your use of "fraudulent" you think the redo should not have happened? I am pretty sure you would feel different if you were one of the thousands that have overpaid for 3 years!
No I was only referring to Mr. Deaton whose value actually didn't seem too far off and it wasn't until AFTER he got his value changed that it now appears "fraudulent," as evidenced by the $12K assessment on his physical house.

And I was one of them, as I just posted earlier in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte