Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 16,583 times

Advertisements

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who is posting details about their pools and tips!
We certainly want to take our time with these decisions and all your feedback is extremely helpful.
I welcome all opinions and information you are willing to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,104 times
Can anyone share what a budget should look like for this type project? We are interested and exploring our backyard pool as well. Thank you

Old 06-18-2015, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 13,044 times
I'm looking for suggestions on pool installers and reasonable estimates too.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:57 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,167,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwantsapool2015 View Post
Can anyone share what a budget should look like for this type project? We are interested and exploring our backyard pool as well. Thank you
30,000 or so, but also remember it could make the home more difficult to sell

Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM

533 posts, read 930,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
30,000 or so, but also remember it could make the home more difficult to sell
Well not if the weather patterns we are currently experiencing stay this way lol

Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,155,111 times
Anthony & Sylvan has done many pools in the area. However, with any general contractor there are a number of caveats:

None of these pool companies employ the people who will actually build your pool. Your pool is only as good as the subcontractors who build it, and that could vary for them between projects. Your project manager is the person that you will have on speed dial for six months. You'll have to stay on top of the subs and bring in the project manager in case anything starts to turn left.

About a year after your pool is complete, you will never end up contacting the original pool company ever again. Everything is up to you after that.

Any moving part that you have (pumps, vacuums, filters, heaters) has a warranty of about a year. Somewhere between five and ten years, these pieces will start to fail one by one. Either the motor will die or the fiberglass/plastic casing to the piece of equipment will start to fail due to a combination of pressure from the inside and the temperature extremes that we experience in this area every year.

Still want to build a pool?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,095,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxycat6 View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on pool installers and reasonable estimates too.
I got a quote in April 2013 from Aloha pools. I ended up not getting a pool as there were many changes at work shortly after I got the quote, so I didn't want to risk it. That said, I thought they were very professional and not pushy at all. If I do decide to get a pool, they would be the first I would call. The quote I received if I remember correctly, was around $40,000. This was for a salt-water pool, patio and waterfall. Wasn't too much more than I was hoping for actually.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:21 AM

97 posts, read 128,776 times
I have a 40x20 concrete pool that I can't imagine living without. You need to ask yourself what you want out of the pool. Mine goes from 4-8ft. We have a diving board so the deep end gets plenty of use lol. I won't lie - with the filter running, the deep end circulates to the shallower end - and the pool stays cool all the time which is important when it's 101 degrees.

Pools do require maintenance and a budget...if you don't keep up with it - it requires more..and more money. Our backyard is our vacation - so instead of taking big trips - that money goes towards the pool.

I bought this house because of the pool - when it's time to sell you home - someone who wants a pool will be your buyer - and it won't be everyone - as is the case with any home. As far as shape - that's up to you - I have a basic rectangle - each type of filter also has it's own maintenance - some spread the cost over time, some a lot up front. The more fancy things or specialty things...the more repair and maintenance so prepare your budget accordingly.

As far as a return on investment - again ask yourself why your getting a pool - I feel our investment is returned daily - not financially - but in enjoyment -

Old 06-20-2015, 11:53 AM

443 posts, read 1,251,507 times
Just a quick opinion about owning a home with a pool. It was worth every cent and headache when our kids were young (4-13). After that, not so much. They were often busy with camps then jobs and 2 of the 3 were not 'into' hanging at our pool or the neighborhood pool.

But while young, it was great for their constant summer entertainment as a family and with guests. We had it open some years from Easter until the end of September.

Not sure about resale but I agree that the general rule of thumb is that it can impact it negatively. I know that we did NOT want a home with a pool and almost did not buy our house because of it, but our realtor (we were young!) convinced us that it would not be too hard to manage and would be great for our young kids. She was right, about the later. But the cost a care was a pain as we had NO IDEA what we were doing and were a young couple on a budget.

On the other hand, our next door neighbor's put in a sports pool and love it. They have no young kids. THEY enjoy being in and near the pool a great deal and entertain regularly. They don't mind the upkeep and the cost to put it in, to them, was worth every penny as they find their home to be their retreat. They ruled out a deep end as they had no real need for it.

T

Old 06-20-2015, 04:01 PM

97 posts, read 128,776 times
Oh I forgot to mention..we have a concrete patio around the pool..easy to maintain..however it gets extremely hot (don't walk in bare feet hot) no biggie..just keep flip flops out there...wood decks require more costs and maintenance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: