U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times

Advertisements

First, let me thank everyone for taking the time out to help people they do not even know, great to know their are still people out there with this trait.

Sadly our friends mother passed away in 1998
To our knowledge her name always has been and still is the only name on any paperwork involving the home. By word of mouth, it was left to her three sons and they were asked to try and keep the house in the family. To my knowledge a cousin has been paying the taxes since her death, for the past six or so months we have tried to contact him to no avail, apparently nobody knows where he is living etc.
Again, to my knowledge, he is the only person whom has ever made and tax payments etc, as I sit here, I believe I can go to the courthouse (or online) and see who has been making the payments and their info?
The main issue is this, two of the sons would like to sell the house, as third son does not want to sell the house, mainly because of the fact none of the sons can afford the taxes, upkeep, etc....
Can anyone explain to me what can be done, can the two sons somehow takeover and sell, can the one son take over and keep the house?
Can the cousin who has always paid the taxes and bills try to take over the house somehow?
I hope someone out there can help us before this turns into a family dilemma, pitting family member against family member etc...
Thanks in advance again to anyone who has even taken the time to at least read our post, time is valuable these days and we surely do appreciate any help we can get.
friends
I would like to help my friends in any way I can, trying to keep the family together and not let this fiasco get out of hand if I can keep them from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 PM

44,481 posts, read 17,762,937 times
I don't understand how the house can still be in the Mom's name unless the estate was never settled. That of course would have all kinds of legal issues as to why it never happened. If there was not a Will that specified it, then in NC, the house would have first passed to the spouse, then the children, then brothers & sisters, and then finally to the state.

You need to look at the deed to see who the house was transferred after your Mom's death. This will be considered the owner of the house now. If it was in fact placed in the names of all 3 sons, then it will depend upon whether it is a joint tenancy and/or a tenancy in common.

In any case, look at the deed. In Mecklenburg county you can do this on-line. You can go from there.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:46 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Is there a tax lien on the house?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 PM

373 posts, read 669,640 times
Waldo Kitty said it best.
There is a title with someone's name on it.
First, identify the title holder.

If the title holder is deceased since 1998, yet somehow that persons name is still on the title, that is outside the scope of my knowledge and you will need to do your research to connect all of the legal dots as to how that works.

Check up on all public records, tax and otherwise regarding the property.
In regards to the son paying taxes on the property.
Just because he has done so, this in no way grants him legal ownership or any ownership otherwise in the house.
If any one of the sons has lived there an extended period of time unending, that may or may not weigh in to ownership rights.
Such as one or more sons living on said property since 1998.

Please keep us updated as to how this all turns out.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,540,456 times
First go to the mecklenburg county property lookup website and search by address. Once you pull up the info there you can find a link on the page for the tax bills. It will show you current ownership.

Are all of these brothers competent adults? I find it hard to believe it has been 16 years and the estate isn't settled.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:15 AM

645 posts, read 756,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
First go to the mecklenburg county property lookup website and search by address. Once you pull up the info there you can find a link on the page for the tax bills. It will show you current ownership.

Are all of these brothers competent adults? I find it hard to believe it has been 16 years and the estate isn't settled.
Yow. That's what I was thinking. You can also search by name.

This is the url: Real Estate Lookup

Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 AM

4,211 posts, read 12,530,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmorbid1 View Post
First, let me thank everyone for taking the time out to help people they do not even know, great to know their are still people out there with this trait.

Sadly our friends mother passed away in 1998
To our knowledge her name always has been and still is the only name on any paperwork involving the home. By word of mouth, it was left to her three sons and they were asked to try and keep the house in the family. To my knowledge a cousin has been paying the taxes since her death, for the past six or so months we have tried to contact him to no avail, apparently nobody knows where he is living etc.
Again, to my knowledge, he is the only person whom has ever made and tax payments etc, as I sit here, I believe I can go to the courthouse (or online) and see who has been making the payments and their info?
The main issue is this, two of the sons would like to sell the house, as third son does not want to sell the house, mainly because of the fact none of the sons can afford the taxes, upkeep, etc....
Can anyone explain to me what can be done, can the two sons somehow takeover and sell, can the one son take over and keep the house?
Can the cousin who has always paid the taxes and bills try to take over the house somehow?
I hope someone out there can help us before this turns into a family dilemma, pitting family member against family member etc...
Thanks in advance again to anyone who has even taken the time to at least read our post, time is valuable these days and we surely do appreciate any help we can get.
friends
I would like to help my friends in any way I can, trying to keep the family together and not let this fiasco get out of hand if I can keep them from it.
You don't mention who's living in the house or if it's vacant?

You also didn't mention a mortgage, so one doesn't exist?

But it's easy to find who's been paying the tax bill. I'm guessing it's not being mailed to the house, but elsewhere, and that "elsewhere" mailing address will be on the tax record which, as many have suggested, you should seek out. The tax record will also list sales transactions which will indicate the last known transaction which will tell you if any "funny business" has occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or