Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 AM

38 posts, read 68,449 times

Advertisements

Many on here I agree with:

I'll leave out the chains, because you know exactly what you're going to get there.

Newk's
Rusan's is a great place to go if you're not looking for fancy sushi. Very casual, but very good.
Nikko is also a great place for sushi, but it is a bit fancier. Although when I go, I feel as though I'm in a foreign country led by a dictator. All of the large murals of the owner, and there are many, make me feel like I'm in Cuba or Iraq.
Jade Asian Fusion is really good too. We just tried that the other night.
Big Daddy Burger Bar is great and they have buffalo burgers. We only eat grass fed beef.
Cantina 1511 and Zapata are good also.

Mac's Speed shop is excellent, although they don't serve grass-fed or organic meats so we don't eat there anymore. But I would eat there again if I could. Rick Brown (he's the chef with the checkerboard shirts) called the brisket there the best he's ever had.

As far as mexican food goes, those are the only two places that remind me of Southern California (home) mexican food. Although, I like to shop at the mexican markets on South Blvd and make our own Mexican meals.

Last edited by iwaboy; 04-25-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro z 5 View Post
we have extended family staying at near by hotel and was in the area and wanted to have lunch here yesterday, could not do so since it appears they have went out of business? the number is also not valid.
On the thread about businesses closing, Elliot's took a beating. I went there once and liked, although I've had better for less money. I think they took on too much rent when they moved to that location from where they were.

Old Hickory House on North Tryon for BBQ and the best Brunswick stew.

Pisces restaurant for sushi "buffet" for lunch. They make it fresh when you order it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
IMHO, The Cowfish should be on any CLT list of must eats...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
IMHO, The Cowfish should be on any CLT list of must eats...
Haven't been there yet but it is on the list.

The Liberty (http://www.libertycharlotte.com) is probably at the top of our list - we go there quite often - the food never disappoints and they have quite an eclectic and always changing beer selection. Also, their regular burger just won Charlotte's Best Burger for 2011 per the Charlotte Observer (if you happen to catch their lamb burger on the menu - its a must).

We rececently ate at George's Basserie (http://www.georgesbrasserie.com/) and will definitely be going back.

I think I mentioned The Fig Tree (http://www.charlottefigtree.com/) on this thread over a year ago when it was first posted. We returned there again recently and it is still top notch - they change their menu seasonally and always have some interesting menu items (buffalo short ribs, lobster ball apetizers). Probably our current favorite of the more upscale local (i.e. non-chain) places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaboy View Post
I'll leave out the chains, because you know exactly what you're going to get there.

Newk's
Actually, Newk's is a chain (although I think primarily in the south / southeastern portion of the country). But for a casual sandwich chain, I do prefer them to Subway or Panera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaboy View Post
Big Daddy Burger Bar is great and they have buffalo burgers. We only eat grass fed beef.
I had lunch there a few weeks ago (Ballantyne) and was not that impressed with the service or the food. Burgers were ok, but nothing to write home about - the Liberty's burger aside, I'd probably take a Red Robin or Fuddrucker's over Big Daddy's. That said it was my only visit, so I'll likely give them another chance

Cantina 1511 is good, although I notice that, over the past couple of years, their menu has started slanting towards more typical mexican restaurant fare.

Also, although completely unhealthy in every way - Price's Chicken Coop has to be on any list of "must eat" places in Charlotte.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM

368 posts, read 945,698 times
Does anyone know what happened to Clucker's Mediterranean Grille that used to be near the Highway 51/Park Road intersection? It's closed down and the interior is somewhat gutted. I heard they renamed the restaurant 'House of Athens' and moved somewhere near Carolina Place Mall, but I can't find anything about it online.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,367,981 times
I noticed Cluckers was closed on one of my 32,500 trips to Lowe's last week. Bummer. I googled House of Athens and nothing came up. Let us know if you hear anything. I loved their pitas.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
A very unique - must eat place - is Jake's Good Eats on Albemarle Rd. in eastern Mecklenburg county. Think southern gourment ( like Southern living magazine). Located in an old gas station in the middle of nowhere. No alchohol but some tasty eating.

Reviving this thread to recommend this place

Jake's Good Eats -

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Reviving this thread to recommend this place

Jake's Good Eats -
So when are you taking me

Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
So when are you taking me
hee hee - I'll have to check with my hubby

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 63,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giaa81 View Post
where are the must eat places? Your favorite place to grab a bite, have a beer or to grab dessert...i am going to miss nyc cupcakes and such places where i can get anything and everything my palate desiresi am a food junkie!!!!
krazy fish central ave, hurry and get the lobster bisque,,,, yes i am shouting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte