Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,782 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking at new construction around Marvin, NC. Since we are coming from NJ, we just don't know much about the area. We have researched the schools and the redistricting, but are curious about other things - what else should we know? Traffic, any areas prone to flooding, etc.?
And does anyone have information on Pulte's Tullamore development and the area surrounding it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:13 PM

123 posts, read 326,684 times
Tullamore is a great location in Marvin, you would be just minutes away from the major retail areas of Blakeney and Stone Crest on Rea Rd as well as the retail areas on Providence Rd. You also would be close to 485 exits on both Providence Rd and Rea Rd. Tullamore is only building 44 homes I believe but there are other new subdivisions going up in the area also. Traffic can be bad during rush hours on the main roads, just like anywhere, but coming from Jersey you will not think it is that bad I am sure. The area you are looking at, the Northern tip of the Waxhaw/Marvin area, has been attracting a lot of new retail and residential construction during the last few years and there are plans for further expansion. Traffic and School crowding are going to be adding to "growing pains" in the area, but it is growing because people really like this part of Union County. You can check the Union County GIS mapping website (GIS/Maps) to check on flood plains. Developers use a system of creeks and retaining ponds to control water run-off and this is planned before building begins but it important to check for yourself.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM

309 posts, read 761,456 times
That area is centrally located to shopping and Rea Road. However, be aware that there is a major shopping center planned for the corner of Tom Short and Rea Road with a huge grocery store and movie theater so that will impact traffic and noise in that area.

There are several new developments being built in Marvin, Tullamore being one of them. Are they planning to offer an amenities center or a pool? As a transplant, having neighborhood amenities can be the best way to meet people. Plus, in the hot & humid summer, having a neighborhood pool can be pretty welcome.

One thing I've noticed about new construction is that you need to be careful how much you pay for the house/upgrades vs. overbuilding for a "cookie-cutter" community. You can see some of the houses in Marvin Creek on the market in the high 6 figures, but if you research the sales history, the people paid much more to build it before the crash. For the same price you will likely pay in Tullamore, you could get a nice existing house in a custom-build neighborhood with amenities.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM

451 posts, read 704,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLifeNC View Post
Tullamore is a great location in Marvin, you would be just minutes away from the major retail areas of Blakeney and Stone Crest on Rea Rd as well as the retail areas on Providence Rd. You also would be close to 485 exits on both Providence Rd and Rea Rd. Tullamore is only building 44 homes I believe but there are other new subdivisions going up in the area also. Traffic can be bad during rush hours on the main roads, just like anywhere, but coming from Jersey you will not think it is that bad I am sure. The area you are looking at, the Northern tip of the Waxhaw/Marvin area, has been attracting a lot of new retail and residential construction during the last few years and there are plans for further expansion.

Classic RE agent who either doesn't know the area or conveniently forgets to inform a buyer about all the facts. Of course since you are from Jersey looking to move to Marvin you will like the convienece of being able to walk to from your $600K suburban home to the movie theater and a 100K SQF grocery store...

https://www.facebook.com/ReaTomShortNeighbors

Marvin is fine, just not in that area.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Are they planning to offer an amenities center or a pool? As a transplant, having neighborhood amenities can be the best way to meet people. Plus, in the hot & humid summer, having a neighborhood pool can be pretty welcome.
No amenities other than a "pocket park" and walking trail. However they will "pay" your initiation fee at Blakney Racquet and Swim Club or a Tennis and Swim membership at Longview. Monthly fees go along with those memberships.

HOA fees for the common area is 180 per month.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
I guess that it's a personal preference. If you will be working uptown then you need to take the drive time into consideration. The Blakeney/Ballantyne area into Union County is a hot area and has been for over a decade. The schools are great on that side of Charlotte and this side of Union County.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:37 PM

123 posts, read 326,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Classic RE agent who either doesn't know the area or conveniently forgets to inform a buyer about all the facts. Of course since you are from Jersey looking to move to Marvin you will like the convienece of being able to walk to from your $600K suburban home to the movie theater and a 100K SQF grocery store...

https://www.facebook.com/ReaTomShortNeighbors

Marvin is fine, just not in that area.
I am not sure why you need to attack me personally instead of just posting to the OP, but I live in the area, work in the area had 2 kids graduate from Marvin Ridge. My opinion does not need to match yours and the OP is asking for opinions. Retail areas in the South Meck. area (Stonecrest, Blakeney, Ballantyne ...) seem to be an overall benefit to the area and Union will, and should, certainly be looking to keep some of that sales revenue in Union. I do believe this is a great area of Marvin and, if you know anything about the area, you certainly know that I do not stand alone in this opinion, RE Agent or not (whatever that has to do with it?).

Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLifeNC View Post
I am not sure why you need to attack me personally instead of just posting to the OP, but I live in the area, work in the area had 2 kids graduate from Marvin Ridge. My opinion does not need to match yours and the OP is asking for opinions. Retail areas in the South Meck. area (Stonecrest, Blakeney, Ballantyne ...) seem to be an overall benefit to the area and Union will, and should, certainly be looking to keep some of that sales revenue in Union. I do believe this is a great area of Marvin and, if you know anything about the area, you certainly know that I do not stand alone in this opinion, RE Agent or not (whatever that has to do with it?).
I think those familiar with the area, especially a real estate agent, could recommend better places to spend $600K-750K in Marvin than at the corner of Rea and Tom Short. Especially given the traffic and potential commercial development at that particular intersection. There really aren't many bad places to live in Marvin from a location perspective, most of Marvin is 5-10 minutes to all the shopping areas you mentioned, but that's one of them. The worst place would be any house on Man of War in PD but it's a "great location".

For that kind of money you could buy in almost any neighborhood in Marvin. If you want something new, look at the Preserve or look at the new development off New Town that looks like its going to start building.

I'll throw in some local knowledge for the OP. The big neighborhood behind Tullamore, Marvin Creek, is probably going to be allowed to activate gates as part approving the commercial development. Those gates will block your best option up to Ballantyne, using Kindling Wood to Joe Kerr to Marvin Rd, and you will be stuck with the Rea and Tom Short every day.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,101,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I think those familiar with the area, especially a real estate agent, could recommend better places to spend $600K-750K in Marvin than at the corner of Rea and Tom Short. Especially given the traffic and potential commercial development at that particular intersection. There really aren't many bad places to live in Marvin from a location perspective, most of Marvin is 5-10 minutes to all the shopping areas you mentioned, but that's one of them. The worst place would be any house on Man of War in PD but it's a "great location".

For that kind of money you could buy in almost any neighborhood in Marvin. If you want something new, look at the Preserve or look at the new development off New Town that looks like its going to start building.

I'll throw in some local knowledge for the OP. The big neighborhood behind Tullamore, Marvin Creek, is probably going to be allowed to activate gates as part approving the commercial development. Those gates will block your best option up to Ballantyne, using Kindling Wood to Joe Kerr to Marvin Rd, and you will be stuck with the Rea and Tom Short every day.
It all depends...
For someone who wants more of an urban feeling (walking instead of driving) to shopping, it is as good as it gets in Marvin.
If you ask a teenager, he/she would prefer the closer to amenities/shopping area where they could walk to, instead of "need a car" areas like most of Marvin.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
It all depends...
For someone who wants more of an urban feeling (walking instead of driving) to shopping, it is as good as it gets in Marvin.
If you ask a teenager, he/she would prefer the closer to amenities/shopping area where they could walk to, instead of "need a car" areas like most of Marvin.
Urban in Marvin?

You have got to be kidding.

Forget the over 55 approach, we are going Marvin is the Hoboken of Charlotte. I would love to see the council pitch the new Marvin urban feeling vision with a mixed use condos, apartments, bars, and restaurants project at the corner of Rea and Tom Short. I'd pay to attend that meeting.

Save it for Waxhaw where we all anxiously await not only a WalMarket, TacoHell, and hopefully a DD. Waxhaw already has Maxwell's so why stop there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte