Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,132,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
I suggest you read up on the animosity expressed toward illegal aliens since you will probably be thought of as one of them ( india-ns do sometimes look a lot like latin people) and so you will have a better idea of what you will be up against.
OK. I can't believe you really believe this!!!!

I have never heard any animosity expressed about immigrants, naturalized citizens or people here working on a Visa. That is just absurd! Why would anyone assume a person w/ an accent is an undocumented or illegal immigrant? I would assume he/she was working on a Visa or was a naturalized American citizen.

And "indians sometimes look a lot like latin people" - be still my heart! Surely you do not categorize people by how they "look to you" (i.e., what you perceive to be their ethnicity) and make assumptions about their citizenship status??????

Where in this country/world/galaxy did you form such ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 04:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,847,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONT_FALL View Post
There's a lot of uneducated, racist people in the South so don't be surprised when you run into some of them. However most people here are friendly and welcome most anyone that is friendly in return. Listening to WBT radio will give you the wrong impression as most of their listeners are of the uneducated, racist breed.
Your comment is uneducated and racist. Looks like you have never been around many places? You shouldn't pass a negative, unfounded judgment that is based on ignorance. As a matter of fact, Indians are very intelligent, hard working people that assimilate well and have no problems fitting in. That goes for anyone. Too bad you don't see this. It is unfortunate that you seem to think that the south is the only section of the country that has racist.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champak View Post
Hello everyone , my company has asked me to move to Charlotte and our office is in Ballantyne Parkway ...... I was very interested in this but I was reading through some threads on the forum and was shocked to understand that there may be a factor of racism (I know it's very sensitive subject) . I am a Asian India (origin of India) and very concerned especially for the safety and culture of a place so that I can belong to a community . I have been in this country for 10 years and have lived across the country west , east , mid west and never thought about this....but looks like moving to south may be a bit sifferent . I would request anyone on this forum to please help me in deciding this move. At this point I was thinking of livign in Ballantyne, Waxhaw or Mathhews ....... I would really appreciate someone who is an asian indian and has lived in the area for number of years...... sorry guys I don't want to offend anybody but I want my family to be safe (have a 3.5 years old boy)...
Your question is very reasonable and welcomed. I am originally from London and moved to Charlotte when I was young. I live in Florida now but am moving back. My mother was from India. I can tell you that you will absolutely have no problems. Granted you won't have the Indian population that you might see in other cities around the country, but the Indians that are in Charlotte do well and assimilate well.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Glad you spoke up, Vindaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Your question is very reasonable and welcomed. I am originally from London and moved to Charlotte when I was young. I live in Florida now but am moving back. My mother was from India. I can tell you that you will absolutely have no problems. Granted you won't have the Indian population that you might see in other cities around the country, but the Indians that are in Charlotte do well and assimilate well.
I am so glad you spoke up and clarified any misconceptions the OP might have had about how he and his family would be received here. I have two Asian Indian friends here in CLT and they have assimilated here well and are very happy in this region.

I was appalled at the ignorant things that were posted earlier. Thank you for stepping in and advising about your own experiences.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 18,242 times
Thanks so much everyone , At last I felt that things will be alright. For those who gave so much positive comments , if I can PM you guys for any further information ..... I am planning to visit with family in Jan - Feb.... will put my comments after visiting back. Any suggestions for good apratments in ballantyne area , need it till I buy a house. Please suggest , money doesn't matter .... safety and sanity in life is important.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone , At last I felt that things will be alright. For those who gave so much positive comments , if I can PM you guys for any further information ..... I am planning to visit with family in Jan - Feb.... will put my comments after visiting back. Any suggestions for good apratments in ballantyne area , need it till I buy a house. Please suggest , money doesn't matter .... safety and sanity in life is important.
Good luck Cham, Welcome to the Charlotte area. I will be moving back there in May. Actually, my house will be ready in January.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Default You are welcome to PM me

Quote:
You are welcome to PM me or post any questions - there are many people who will make suggestions and give solid, meaningful advice. Ballantyne is a great area!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:04 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,395 times
Champak....Welcome. Unfortunatly, there are close minded fools everywhere. Is it more prevalent here than in other areas in the country? In my experience I would say absolutely not!! That stereotype of the south and racism is just not true. I have met so many nice people of all different nationalities and do not see a large amount of discrimination in the areas I live and work in. Does it exist?? unfortunatly it probably does....is it prevelant? I would say a resounding no!
As for apartments in Ballantyne...there are tons of options. You can drive straight down Ballantyne Commons Parkway between Lancaster and Providence Rd and probably hit at least 10 to 15 apartment complexes which are all real nice. You also might want to rent a townhome or house...there are quite a few for rent in the area depending on your budget. If you need any info...please PM me. Good luck with your search and I hope it all works for your family.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,447,027 times
There are so many Asians (Indians) here in the area. We have several friends who are Indian and there has never been any question or comment about them that I have heard. One of my friends is from NYC and was worried too when her husband had a job offer here. She said the first weeks she was here she went up to every Indian she could find and asked where things were (social activities, etc....) but she said she needent have worried. She has fit in just fine and felt very comfortable here.

Dawn

Old 12-23-2007, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 18,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
There are so many Asians (Indians) here in the area. We have several friends who are Indian and there has never been any question or comment about them that I have heard. One of my friends is from NYC and was worried too when her husband had a job offer here. She said the first weeks she was here she went up to every Indian she could find and asked where things were (social activities, etc....) but she said she needent have worried. She has fit in just fine and felt very comfortable here.

Dawn
This was really helpful . I again apologize to those who may have been offended by this thread , I am a worried man for my family's sake !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte