Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 18,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
Champak....Welcome. Unfortunatly, there are close minded fools everywhere. Is it more prevalent here than in other areas in the country? In my experience I would say absolutely not!! That stereotype of the south and racism is just not true. I have met so many nice people of all different nationalities and do not see a large amount of discrimination in the areas I live and work in. Does it exist?? unfortunatly it probably does....is it prevelant? I would say a resounding no!
As for apartments in Ballantyne...there are tons of options. You can drive straight down Ballantyne Commons Parkway between Lancaster and Providence Rd and probably hit at least 10 to 15 apartment complexes which are all real nice. You also might want to rent a townhome or house...there are quite a few for rent in the area depending on your budget. If you need any info...please PM me. Good luck with your search and I hope it all works for your family.
Thanks , I will get in touch with you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 PM

237 posts, read 298,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Are you kidding me? Being illegal has nothing to do with race! It just so happens that the overwhelming majority happen to be Latino. I have no animosity against a people, but I do have animosity against illegal immigration and the way our government has handled this crisis. You are very misinformed and cannot comprehend the importance of this issue.

I do love the knots you make. ok so if you know and i know that the majority are latino then repeat after me: it has to do with them being from where they are from.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
I do love the knots you make. ok so if you know and i know that the majority are latino then repeat after me: it has to do with them being from where they are from.

MODERATOR NOTE:
Lets get our GPS navigation device and veer back on track of this thread Please. Thank You.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:40 AM

674 posts, read 803,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONT_FALL View Post
There's a lot of uneducated, racist people in the South so don't be surprised when you run into some of them. However most people here are friendly and welcome most anyone that is friendly in return. Listening to WBT radio will give you the wrong impression as most of their listeners are of the uneducated, racist breed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
I suggest you read up on the animosity expressed toward illegal aliens since you will probably be thought of as one of them ( india-ns do sometimes look a lot like latin people) and so you will have a better idea of what you will be up against.
I hope the original poster ignores these posts completely as they are ridiculous.

Charlotte is getting more diverse and I actually think that people from other areas of the world are welcomed even more! We find them interesting and a credit to our growing city. Welcome!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,686,676 times
**Warning:
I strongly urge you to review the TOS for posting on these forums and specifically keep in mind the following listed below from the TOS.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.
If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

As any TOS violations are not tolerated and will result in infractions being issued and the thread being closed.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:03 AM

246 posts, read 583,268 times
Charlotte is an extremely diverse city. If there is an element of "racism" here, I certainly haven't picked up on it. Then again, I tend to try and ignore stupid/ignorant people.

There will always be a few people who cut you looks or maybe even talk behind your back. Your best bet is to pity those souls and move on. It's not like there are burning crosses on peoples' lawns here in CLT.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,279 times
Thumbs up That's Why I love City-Data!

Champak---first of all, kudos on your move to Charlotte! My wife and I have begun the investigatory stuff about a possible future relocation or retirement...you could not have picked a better place, IMHO

And to Vindaloo, Anifani, and all others who were so helpful and welcoming to Champak, a big thank you...folks like you are why A) I love City-Data Forums and B) I have strongly considered Charlotte as a place to live

It boggles my mind that this is the year 2008, and we have become so bogged down in backwards views and 'political correctness' (Lord, how I HATE the very mention of that odious and overused term!), that we lose sight of what is important---the desire and ablility of ALL people in America to live, worship, and raise their families without the specter of racism looming ominously overhead...

For the record, I am a 50-something black man living in Southwest Ohio...as far as I am concerned, I will LIVE WHERE I want, next to WHOMEVER I choose, and will NOT cave in to the bigotry and just plain ol' stupidity of others...to the Mods, I hope my last statement was not seen as inflammatory or 'attacking' in nature, but sometimes, I find I cannot sit idly by while folks just make outright dumb remarks to people who have legitimate questions to ask...as my late Mom was known to say when she encountered foolishness---'don't wanna hear my mouth? Then do right, and act right, and you have nothin' to worry about from me!'

Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Champak---first of all, kudos on your move to Charlotte! My wife and I have begun the investigatory stuff about a possible future relocation or retirement...you could not have picked a better place, IMHO

And to Vindaloo, Anifani, and all others who were so helpful and welcoming to Champak, a big thank you...folks like you are why A) I love City-Data Forums and B) I have strongly considered Charlotte as a place to live

It boggles my mind that this is the year 2008, and we have become so bogged down in backwards views and 'political correctness' (Lord, how I HATE the very mention of that odious and overused term!), that we lose sight of what is important---the desire and ablility of ALL people in America to live, worship, and raise their families without the specter of racism looming ominously overhead...

For the record, I am a 50-something black man living in Southwest Ohio...as far as I am concerned, I will LIVE WHERE I want, next to WHOMEVER I choose, and will NOT cave in to the bigotry and just plain ol' stupidity of others...to the Mods, I hope my last statement was not seen as inflammatory or 'attacking' in nature, but sometimes, I find I cannot sit idly by while folks just make outright dumb remarks to people who have legitimate questions to ask...as my late Mom was known to say when she encountered foolishness---'don't wanna hear my mouth? Then do right, and act right, and you have nothin' to worry about from me!'
Hope you will be able to work it out to retire here. I am noticing a lot of Ohio residents moving to NC/SC. Charlotte will be welcoming and I think you would find this a great area to retire in - so many others are retiring here. There are older, established neighborhoods like mine - and new Del Webb villages as well.

My neighborhood has interesting demographics - all ages, backgrounds, natives as well as transplants . . . we have seniors out walking beside mommies pushing strollers . . . lots of dog lovers . . . young professionals, telecommuters and retirees . . . and I think you will find that is not unusual in the older neighborhoods. We have people from all over the country - east coast to west coast. Nice melting pot of cultural backgrounds, too.

All are welcome as long as they don't blow their leaves onto their neighbor's property, Hee Hee.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

241 posts, read 891,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champak View Post
This was really helpful . I again apologize to those who may have been offended by this thread , I am a worried man for my family's sake !!
Don't worry about offending people by asking a question. You are right - you have to look out for yourself and your family and your well being and definitely don't want to move to an area where you're not welcome. There are parts that you probably wouldn't be welcome or feel comfortable (not necessarily in Charlotte), but as everybody else has stated, there are all walks of life here. I have noticed working in Uptown there is a big Indian community...I'm not sure if there are areas (such as Ballyntyne, Matthews, etc.) that Indians tend to live as I haven't seen too many outside of the regular work day in uptown, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck with your move and stop worrying about making people angry - you're just looking out for yourself...no harm in asking.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 PM

133 posts, read 493,992 times
Default race

if you go to anyplace with an attitude or going out of your way to get offended, im sure you will be able to fullfill your self fullfilling ideas. If on the other hand, you are amicable, people will be nice in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte