U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 mph in 65 mph zone ( $240 fine).

Not sure, how many points for this violation and how much my insurance cost will be increased.

This is my ticket after 10 years of safe driver history. When officer stopped, i thought that i will get a warning, due to my safe driving history. That did not happen.

Now my dilemma is whether to simply the fine online and bear the increased cost of insurance, when it happens
OR go to court.

I received at least 10 -15 letters from the law offices, to get the legal services.

Does hiring lawyer will help me in any way?

Appreciate, any advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM

777 posts, read 2,272,478 times
https://mecktraffictickets.mecklenbu...e/Welcome.aspx

You're welcome.

If that doesn't work, just go to see the traffic ADA at the courthouse at the specified times (tue/thur) and plead down to 5mph over. Pay the fine/court costs and it won't effect your insurance. My wife did just that and plead a 15mph over down to 5 and they threw out the seatbelt citation. Took 20 minutes in line and 2 minutes at the counter. Trust me, the ADA want as small of a court docket as they can. Also, I "believe" this save your PFJ for another time when you can't plead down.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,488,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akglen View Post
I got a speeding ticket for driving 80 mph in 65 mph zone ( $240 fine).

Not sure, how many points for this violation and how much my insurance cost will be increased.

This is my ticket after 10 years of safe driver history. When officer stopped, i thought that i will get a warning, due to my safe driving history. That did not happen.

Now my dilemma is whether to simply the fine online and bear the increased cost of insurance, when it happens
OR go to court.

I received at least 10 -15 letters from the law offices, to get the legal services.

Does hiring lawyer will help me in any way?

Appreciate, any advice.

Thanks
Depending on your record, many insurance companies have a small buffer of how many points you can get before they start charging extra.

My best advice would be to plead not guilty and hope they throw it out.
If they don't throw it out, then negotiate with them. Offer to help with a charity maybe and if it's a first or 2nd offense then plead with them that you feel you've learned a lesson.

Unless you can prove that their equipment was faulty or that the cop is a liar (both unlikely) then you're at their mercy.

Oh, and stop speeding

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,855,043 times
If you have the extra $$$ hire an attorney and be done with it. They will plead it to an equipment violation....no points on license. All you will have to do is mail a check. Won't even have to go to the courthouse. I'm no fan off attorneys, I think the system is a joke however, it's unfortunately the easiest way to go.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 AM

2,158 posts, read 2,355,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
If you have the extra $$$ hire an attorney and be done with it. They will plead it to an equipment violation....no points on license. All you will have to do is mail a check. Won't even have to go to the courthouse. I'm no fan off attorneys, I think the system is a joke however, it's unfortunately the easiest way to go.
Amen, this is the best and most surefire way to handle it. I would guess, from experience, 300 to 500 dollars for the lawyer and fines associated with the improper equipment. Depending upon your situation you may realize those savings over the increased insurance costs. (although as previously stated by insouthpark, it may not increase at all.)

Call a lawyer and ask about the chances of getting the charge changed/reduced, etc.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
I disagree from personal experience that using a lawyer is the most cost effective way to go.

I went to court myself and knocked down an 85 in a 65 to a 4 hr class and court fees.

If I would've hired a Lawyer it would've been an extra $300 on top.

Would recommend a lawyer for those who either have no time to do this, or just flat out intimidated to negotiate on their own.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 AM

777 posts, read 2,272,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I disagree from personal experience that using a lawyer is the most cost effective way to go.

I went to court myself and knocked down an 85 in a 65 to a 4 hr class and court fees.

If I would've hired a Lawyer it would've been an extra $300 on top.

Would recommend a lawyer for those who either have no time to do this, or just flat out intimidated to negotiate on their own.

Exactly. Why hire a lawyer for something you can plead down ONLINE or spend 20 minutes of any tue/thur at the courthouse!?!? Crazy. But hey, crappy lawyers need a paycheck too I guess.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 AM

56 posts, read 66,815 times
If you have the time to deal with it then do it yourself. I got a bogus ticket and paid a lawyer 150 to get it reduced. I sent him my ticket he sent me some paperwork i signed. went on line paid and was done in less than 10 min. It would have cost me more to cut out of work for 1/2 day to save 150. Its a service not a defense.

The things that drives me nuts is the fine went up from speeding from 175 to 250 or something I don't remember but the whole math was ridiculous. Its a revenue generator for the city and the courts are in on it.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 AM

820 posts, read 1,529,234 times
Follow InSouthPark's advice.

Also, you get one free-bee from any NC insurance company. Eight-five, though? You must have been in emergency mode. Please slow down. It is a documented fact -excessive speed leads to wrecks, injuries, and death. In reality, 15 over could, but won't, cost you your license. Besides, the more speed over 55 is costing you money in gas. Me, I TRY to stick it on 65, but slide a little to 70 in 65 zones - and I am not an obstacle on the highway. I don't have time to waste in court and with the price of gas, don't have money to waste.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Follow InSouthPark's advice.

Also, you get one free-bee from any NC insurance company. Eight-five, though? You must have been in emergency mode. Please slow down. It is a documented fact -excessive speed leads to wrecks, injuries, and death. In reality, 15 over could, but won't, cost you your license. Besides, the more speed over 55 is costing you money in gas. Me, I TRY to stick it on 65, but slide a little to 70 in 65 zones - and I am not an obstacle on the highway. I don't have time to waste in court and with the price of gas, don't have money to waste.
Gas $$ was not an issue doing the 85/65....I have a company car. Normally dont speed, but was trying to get home quicker because of a personal emergency...(the twentysomething cop was a jerk and still gave me a ticket)

I do understand that some people cant get time off to go in court and fight it (which I did..)...everyone's situation is a little different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or