U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,826 posts, read 27,079,121 times
Reputation: 8898

Advertisements

If the OP is Puerto Rican Gastonia would be a good fit but, like everywhere else in the country, jobs are scarce & the OP didn't tell us what jobs he's looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,739 posts, read 14,989,382 times
Reputation: 9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree. Please remember this person is coming from the Bronx. There are 3 BR houses and apartments for rent in Charlotte for $1000.

It won't be desirable for some but for others it will be just fine.

I don't know if this is against the rules but this is available in Cotswold for $1,150


A few years ago I lived in a 2BR/2Bth for $750 in Cotswold. I'm sure it's gone up but I doubt it is more than $900.

There is also another house in Cotswold that is on Mccalway Dr that was renovated for a flip and I guess it didn't sell so they are trying to rent it. $1,150 for 3BR/2Bth with hardwoods. A little more than $1000 but still, if you can get that in Cotswold I'm sure there are places that are a little less desirable that are still safe.

If these are legit then there are definitely spots available in University, East Charlotte, South Charlotte that are doable for a person from the Bronx. Just remember what you think is undesirable/unsafe may be OK for the average person.

Also remember this guy is willing to come down by himself before bringing his family down. He can find a 1BR for $600.

No matter what the OP finds to rent, he will be hard pressed to find anything without a job, a background and credit check. Not only that, but how do you propose that this man would pay $600 rent and support himself here, while at the same time supporting as his family back in NY ?

He should consider looking in TN; around Knoxville, outside of Nashville, maybe near Oak Ridge where he may have a chance to get work and lower cost of housing.

Please don't lead him on; Charlotte is not low cost of living for a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
Reputation: 5226
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
No matter what the OP finds to rent, he will be hard pressed to find anything without a job, a background and credit check. Not only that, but how do you propose that this man would pay $600 rent and support himself here, while at the same time supporting as his family back in NY ?

He should consider looking in TN; around Knoxville, outside of Nashville, maybe near Oak Ridge where he may have a chance to get work and lower cost of housing.

Please don't lead him on; Charlotte is not low cost of living for a family.
That isn't my problem...

Charlotte COL is still LOWER than the Bronx and I believe this is what the OP wants...

He didn't ask for the cheapest city, just asked if Charlotte is an option worth checking out and I think it is. If he doesn't like it he can move back home just like he would if things didn't work out in Knoxville or Oak Ridge where the public transportation is lacking.

"leading him on???" what does that even mean? Are you leading him on with your suggestions about other cities he didn't ask about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,739 posts, read 14,989,382 times
Reputation: 9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That isn't my problem...

Charlotte COL is still LOWER than the Bronx and I believe this is what the OP wants...

He didn't ask for the cheapest city, just asked if Charlotte is an option worth checking out and I think it is. If he doesn't like it he can move back home just like he would if things didn't work out in Knoxville or Oak Ridge where the public transportation is lacking.

"leading him on???" what does that even mean? Are you leading him on with your suggestions about other cities he didn't ask about?



The OP came on this thread/forum to get information that he can use in making an informed decision. He will sift through the responses and do what is best for his family. Many posters come on a thread about a particular area, some post on several threads about various areas that may interest them.

He has other options.

We are here to give unbiased relocation advice. Not to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,712 posts, read 9,324,455 times
Reputation: 5226
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The OP came on this thread/forum to get information that he can use in making an informed decision. He will sift through the responses and do what is best for his family. Many posters come on a thread about a particular area, some post on several threads about various areas that may interest them.

He has other options.

We are here to give unbiased relocation advice. Not to argue.
yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top