U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

I am a special ed teacher looking to move away from VA to somewhere more interesting and productive for a single twenty-something professional woman. I've heard a lot of good things from friends about how great Charlotte is for single black professionals, and I'm considering moving to the area. I'd like to know a few things:

1. How is the CMS school system? Does it have potential? Caring educators and administrators? Do teachers generally like working for the system? Are children getting a decent public education?

2. ARe there lots of opportunities financially? I know it's a good place to buy a house, but what's the cost of living like for someone who makes about 40K/yr.?

3. Where is a safe place to live for a single woman? I'd like to live in a place that has things to do but not in the downtown area. I'ma suburban girl and I need grass but I need shopping and restaurants too!

4. What are some local spots I should check out when I visit?

Thanks! If you can give me any more info that I might need to know before moving please feel free to add it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:56 PM

4,097 posts, read 10,176,250 times
I do not know specifically about working as a spec. ed. teacher in Charlotte, but I do know what I have heard.

Special Ed. teachers seem to have the most trouble with getting credentials in NC. If you haven't passed the PRAXIS you will need to do that and will be considered a sub (with no benefits and sub pay) until you do, even if you have worked for years were you are.

Also, I have heard that Special Ed. teachers get hired by the district and can be moved around last minute, so be prepared to get a job on the North end and then be reassigned last min. to an entirely different location. This happened to me in Union County in ESL and I have heard Spec. Ed is similar.

There is a desperate need for Special Ed teachers so I don't know why they make it so difficult!

Dawn

Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 PM

92 posts, read 333,468 times
You can live pretty well on 40K in most areas. The University area (Davis Lake, etc.) has the suburban feel to it and a lot of young black professionals live here as far as I can tell. It's one of the more diverse areas of town. Your money will go farther here than in Southeast, Ballantyne etc. As far as teaching, I have no idea, but the perception is CMS has some really good schools and some really bad schools, and not much in between.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,176,250 times
Do you really think you can live well on 40K? I guess if I were single it would be ok, (not great though) but I can't imagine having children and living on 40K.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0813 View Post
You can live pretty well on 40K in most areas. The University area (Davis Lake, etc.) has the suburban feel to it and a lot of young black professionals live here as far as I can tell. It's one of the more diverse areas of town. Your money will go farther here than in Southeast, Ballantyne etc. As far as teaching, I have no idea, but the perception is CMS has some really good schools and some really bad schools, and not much in between.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 PM

As a single young person who doesn't waste a lot of money, absolutely. I lived on under 30K for years and never wanted for anthing

Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM

It depends on your definition of "well." You're not going to drive a luxury car and go out to eat every night on it, but with rent on a decent 1 BD at 600-700/month, groceries relatively inexpensive, there's no reason someone single making 40K couldn't pay for all the neccessities, have some fun and save a little in Charlotte. Probably would be a stretch to raise a kid by yourself on it, but with 2 incomes at that level I don't see why not. It just depends on what you want to spend your money on. As a teacher, I am sure this woman was not expecting to get rich, so living on 40K would likely be very nice in Charlotte compared to other urban areas.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM

14 posts, read 31,713 times
I think as a single person makng 40k in NC you are doing well, depending on your expenditutres. If you are a person that needs a fancy car and oversized loft, then 40k will not do. But moderate living is quite comfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or