Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Student performance on educational testing depends greatest on two factors: Parent educational attainment and family income. Those two factors outweigh all other factors combined. The school attendance zones that have the greatest number of high income families and families with high parent educational attainment (factors often overlapping) will have the highest student test achievement.
There's a title one elementary school in Kings Mountain that is a blue ribbon school. However parental involvement is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:52 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Student performance on educational testing depends greatest on two factors: Parent educational attainment and family income. Those two factors outweigh all other factors combined. The school attendance zones that have the greatest number of high income families and families with high parent educational attainment (factors often overlapping) will have the highest student test achievement.
So basically - high concentration of wealthier/more educated parents = better school. And an individual child from a wealthier/educated family would likely do just as well at a school closer to average. Therefore, most schools is the Charlotte metro will serve a child well.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
People ask about schools continually on this board. The only non-subjective answer is school rankings. To varying degrees the rankings lean on test scores. I suggested US News because it's recent & seems to be in the same ballpark as other rankings that I've seen. There are a lot of schools in the area that didn't get ranked. I have no answer for that as I don't work for US News.

If I recall correctly, the highest ranked area school was Highland in Gastonia. The OP asked specifically about schools west of Charlotte I addressed those schools.
I think school rankings and test scores make it easy for "outsiders" to get a good idea of where the better schools are and it probably works. However, natives can probably identify good schools that don't necessarily rank high. Some schools wont rank well and natives will mostly agree that they're bad...this will usually be your schools in areas of higher poverty...which usually have high concentrations of African Americans (Southwest Middle is an example I can think of). I agree that Highland is a very, very good school. Oddly enough, Highland is located in one of the worst areas (drugs/prostitution, etc) of the Charlotte metro - it's a magnet school though so only the "brightest" students from around the county have a chance to enter the lottery to go there.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Regarding the US News rankings, there was actually a thread about that on here awhile back:

US News ranks Hopewell best high school in NC

If you click on the link I posted in that thread about the methodology it takes you to this year's methodology (I can't actually find it just on the ranking site), which in relation to this discussion mentions that it takes into account the number of economically disadvantage students as well as how they perform compared to other similar students.

According to that, the best schools in the Charlotte metro are Butler, South Meck, Cox Mill, Porter Ridge, Mooresville, Central Cabarrus, Olympic, Hopewell, Independence, Kings Mountain, and Lincolnton. It's likely that schools like Marvin Ridge, Ardrey Kell, etc. don't have enough data on economically disadvantaged students that they weren't included.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:06 PM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Kids can do well in life even when coming from terrible schools. A lot depends on parents.
Once again this sums up the whole thread.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
A descent school is a school where there is a method for eliminating or controlling disruptive students and parents are involved in the school an their child's education. Along with that kind of school comes the better teachers. Bottom line, you will find better schools in areas where the education level is at its' highest and crime levels are at there lowest. It isn't the schools that are terrible, it is the people that go through the entrance doors daily that make it that way.
I agree. I do believe it's possible to find good (not the best) schools in areas where the locals on average aren't very educated. Take Kings Mtn as an example - only 14.4% of the population have a bachelors degree. That's nearly half the state average. For Lincolnton it's only 17%. But yes, these areas have relatively low crime and most of the parents are at least somewhat involved in their child's life.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I agree. I do believe it's possible to find good (not the best) schools in areas where the locals on average aren't very educated. Take Kings Mtn as an example - only 14.4% of the population have a bachelors degree. That's nearly half the state average. For Lincolnton it's only 17%. But yes, these areas have relatively low crime and most of the parents are at least somewhat involved in their child's life.
Kings Mountain HS is fairly consistently ranked better than average on Great Schools. Part of their ranking is how many kids go from high school to college. Many kids in Kings Mountain work for a couple of years then go to college or trade school. This hurts the high school rating on Great Schools. The school is now trying to dig up grants & scholarships for kids.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
If you really care, you can determine this for yourself on the NC DPI web site.

I would focus on how many passed algebra 1 and how many students (convert to %) are taking high level classes.

There is a lot of data out there. Parent rankings and the US News stuff is very subjective, I don't think you will go wrong looking at the math and how many in the high school are taking rigorous courses.

Pretty buildings have about 0 influence of the quality of education.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you really care, you can determine this for yourself on the NC DPI web site.

I would focus on how many passed algebra 1 and how many students (convert to %) are taking high level classes.

There is a lot of data out there. Parent rankings and the US News stuff is very subjective, I don't think you will go wrong looking at the math and how many in the high school are taking rigorous courses.
Yes but as has been mentioned the "averages" will be better at schools where a higher percentage of the population comes from highly educated and higher income families. The US News rankings are based on "math" too.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No it doesn't. But that doesn't mean that the teachers are better.
Teachers are there to guide students and provide educational ops. Students that take responsibility for their learning will always prevail. Parents are instrumental to a huge extent.

In other words one cannot find a great school without parental involvement and value of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte