Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

My Parents will be visiting in a few weeks, and they're interested in taking a dinner cruise on Lake Norman.

Anyone familiar with the dinner cruise via Queens Landing?

Were you happy with the cruise/dinner?

Thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
No clue on the dinner, went a couple of years back with my Father just for the cruise tour, enjoyed that.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks Flyingscotsman, for the feedback

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I've been on a Queen's Landing dinner cruise The food is what you would expect in a hotel restaurant. i.e nothing to talk about. The reason for taking the cruise is of course the trip on the lake. Since Daylight savings time has started it's probably OK, but there is no point in taking this cruise if dinner starts after it gets dark. There are no lights on the lake and you can't see anything at that point.

It is a good way to get a nice tour of the Southern 1/2 of Lake Norman. The boats, as far as I can tell, never go to the upper 1/2 of the lake because I presume, they would have issues getting under the Hwy 150 bridge.

That is a particularly active area during the summer. In addition to the cruises, there is a large floating bar that you can boat up to, a putt putt type course, outdoor bands, and usually some sort of weekend event taking place. It's location midway on the Lake and accessible from both sides via Hwy 150, makes Queen's landing one of the bigger Lake Norman destinations that you can get to by car. If you are trailering a boat there are also to well kept boat landings right there along with at least 4 marinas and several other places that offer up lake side dining.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
I agree with Frewroad!

If you will be cruising in the dark you are better treating them to a nice upscale restaurant for dinner. I have been twice in recent years, once during darkness. The only excitement was watching for our friend's house as we went by. He flashed the spotlights in his boathouse on and off so we could identify the house from the water. Not much of an experience in the dark. We went with a large birthday party group so the company was the entertainment.

It might be better during a full moon, but still not as good as a daylight cruise.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
If you find you don't want to go on the cruise, i recommend Big Daddy's as a place to eat.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I've been on a Queen's Landing dinner cruise The food is what you would expect in a hotel restaurant. i.e nothing to talk about. The reason for taking the cruise is of course the trip on the lake. Since Daylight savings time has started it's probably OK, but there is no point in taking this cruise if dinner starts after it gets dark. There are no lights on the lake and you can't see anything at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
If you will be cruising in the dark you are better treating them to a nice upscale restaurant for dinner. I have been twice in recent years, once during darkness. The only excitement was watching for our friend's house as we went by. He flashed the spotlights in his boathouse on and off so we could identify the house from the water. Not much of an experience in the dark. We went with a large birthday party group so the company was the entertainment.
You were both extremely helpful . Thanks for your time, and information

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Cut and paste my response from another (OLD) post...

"...However, we did go one year for Easter dinner.
I thought we left the house in plenty of time, however we were the last one's to arrive and be seated before the ship sailed.

The boat has two levels. And when serving the buffet-style dinner, they served the lower level first. Then, the second level (which is where we were seated.) And, while we were the first ones on the second level to make it to the buffet, there were nothing but leftovers. I felt bad for the others behind us! Waiting in line for the buffet, we looked around and saw mountains of food on the plates of the lower level diners; yet, there were only a few pieces of meat and some cold, canned vegetables and maybe 3 rolls left for all of the upper level diners.

Evidently they called to their sister boat (who had left about 30 minutes before us) and they still had some food. So the boats rendez-vous'd and transferred ~their~ leftovers to us.

I'm not big on buffets or leftovers. Maybe others have had a better experience regarding the food. We had to stop on the way home to get something to eat.

Other than that, the cruise was very nice! ..."

I'd try it again, but not on a Holiday.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
If you decide to skip this, try this option. Drive out to Shelby & go to Bridges BBQ then go to the main Hamricks in Gaffney. It's pretty big. They also have a clearane center somewhere in the Blacksburg/Gaffney area. Do this on a Tuesday & your parents can get an extra 10% off on all purchases (I'm assuming that they're over 60), including clearance items, then on your way back, stop in Kings Mountain. Big E's BBQ just reopened, in the downtown.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks Lakeside & Southbound !

Hamricks...that in itself is a destination .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte