U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,980 times

Advertisements

I have heard time and again how nightmarish the traffic is in Charlotte... so I went on Google Maps and i'm trying to do some data analysis of the traffic patterns using historical traffic data. The traffic in Charlotte is not as bad as some other cities that I've been to but its still bad...La has insane traffic like your sitting in a parking lot. I was in Dc once going to the airport during evening rush hour and traffic was pure insanity...the entire road was a sea of jammed cars for miles.

The thing is that commutes seem within 45 to an hour even with peak traffic. Am I mistaken?

I hate commuting so and i just started a new job of western house blvd and i dont know why isn't it 2 lanes in each direction lol. Google maps says 15 mins to get home but i forgot how bad south Tryon to 48
5 to 77 north can be. Its a Nightmare. it took me 45 mins to get home in the am and yesterday close to an hour. My boo was like bae every-time i go home i fill like the traffic is getting worse everyday. All i could say is well Charlotte is growing very fast

What kind of commute times do you guys have? State your residence location and work location and the time of your commute and time taken. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Agree with your first paragraph. Charlotte traffic is nowhere near as bad as many other places. There are some bad spots (77 in the Lake Norman area, 485 heading to/from 77 in the South, much of 74 to name a few but other than that it's pretty doable IMO, and even those areas are not constant logjams like in other places). Obviously they are trying to fix the 485 issue so we'll see how that goes. I think they did clean up one of the previous bottlenecks (for now) though with the 85 expansion in NE Charlotte/Concord.

I live directly east of 485, don't have a specific work location but am on the road a lot. I do wish there was a better way to get to the uptown area besides Albemarle Rd. The traffic isn't really due to volume IMO it's just compounded by the fact that there's so many traffic lights.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,980 times
[quote=richard rawson;36203692]I think you mean Westinghouse and not "Western House." Whether traffic is bad in Charlotte is relative to what you are accustomed to. It isn't as bad as Atlanta or Washington, D.C. but better than most comparably sized cities as we have descent highways and connecting roads throughout. But, as in all other cities, you run into bottlenecks at junctions. For example, in the mornings and afternoons, there are always bottlenecks on I77 at exits 23, 25 that slow traffic to halt in most cases during rush-hour times. There is normal congestion throughout the city during rush hours as well.

You will get the responses from the urban hero wannabes that "laugh' at the traffic here that the say is "nothing like where they came from" which is most likely in the middle of nowhere," but they should be taken with a grain of salt. Until you learn the city and it's shortcuts, etc. you could say that traffic can be pretty bad.

A commute to the northern part of the county (Cornelius or Davidson) is normally 20-25 minutes during the day. During rush hour traffic, it is 45 minutes to an hour. That isn't horrible, but annoying. But, our highways often turn into parking lots if there is construction or accidents so beware.[/QOTE]

I kinda felt I spelled that wrong. Thank you for the correction. I agree with your post for the most part. The traffic isn't bad but it can get very very annoying. For instance I was going to the pet smart off south blvd/485 intersection. The car in front of me was in the southblvd ext from 485 and was in it all the way till it curved and just cut me off till the point that I missed my exi and almost hit the car next to me. It was one of those (wtf situations). It also happens during rush hour traffic and driver's get over at the last minute. The only thing I say to myself is the place you have to go must be more important then mine. I think that has a lot to do with the gridlock. Drivers merging at the very very last minute.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM

601 posts, read 789,532 times
Some states actually have a law prohibiting drivers from hogging up the left lane. And not to my surprise, NC is one of the few states in America that has no law on left lane bandits:

Left-Lane Passing Laws: A State-By-State Map

Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,123,406 times
I get a little more annoyed every day I make the commute from Mooresville to Charlotte as I sit in traffic looking at the massive median between the north and south bound lanes as well as tons of room to the right of the highway in many places, especially when I know that I85 now has up to six lanes between somewhere around exit 55 down to 40 something.

Then I read all the hoopla about how they want to build toll lanes and charge insane amounts to drive in them. I would be shocked if very many people are willing to pay $5 or $10 to drive in those lanes. They will look like the HOA lanes look now which is practically untraveled.

$200 a month to get home 15 to 20 minutes earlier a day. Doesn't sound worth it to this guy.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,991,511 times
My commute to center city takes about 5-7 minutes. Coming home is less. Add a couple minutes for walking from deck to office and vica versa.

I live off Monroe Rd inside of route 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte