U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 AM

89 posts, read 278,967 times

Advertisements

I am looking at homes in these neighborhoods and finding them to be an incredible value. Charlotte crime stats website says these are low crime areas yet everyone says the east side is crime ridden. I am confused about these neighborhoods.. they look like very nice middle income homes..

Whats the concensus on these neighborhoods? Should I worry about home values? Person property theft? What is the terrible "east side".. is this in it? If not how far out of it is it?

I realize if I buy it may be years before the east side loses its reputation.. or maybe never.. but I can't pass up these values without researching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:56 AM

89 posts, read 278,967 times
Anybody?

Oh my message is too short.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,569 times
New member as of 08/30. Did you move to Grove Park. Have lived here 25 years and really love it.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,516 times
Moved to the Grove Park area in March and love it. Good neighbors and very peaceful.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
ADR

171 posts, read 457,543 times
Default I left Grove Park 2 years ago

The actual community itself is nice. Lots of older folks and retirees. But as they pass on a different class of people are buying those homes as the property values have plummented, thus the great values you speak of.

If I could have never left the community I would have been fine but just as you leave the community you have Milton Rd to your rt, and lots of low income housing on HT Blvd to your left.

We saw so many people walking the streets at all hours of the night.
I honestly did not feel safe letting my wife and child go to the near by grocery stores or gas stations alone.

The shopping center just up from there used to be nice and had a Winn Dixie, Damons resteraunt, Mayflower Seafood resteraunt, and other nice places.

They all left and now you have a Compare foods, which if you walk in is 99.9% hispanic with loud hispanic music playing all the time. The center was painted a bright orange and has gone down hill fast.

The great values on homes are there for a reason, property values have plummeeted drastically in the last several years.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up jsimbal

There is some truth to ADA's post. The mortgage meltdown has benefitted us in that the very few undesirables here in Grove Park were foreclosed and the people currently buying are rock solid. As to home values--no they have not plummeted. They have actually stayed the same or gone up. You can check this on Neighborhood Scout website. In addition Grove Park has a very low crime rate. We have a very strong Neighborhood Watch and since you left have formed a Grove Park Neighborhood Association. GP is a very safe neighborhood because of the number of retirees, stay at home workers, walkers/joggers and very observant dogs! I don't think there is any place in Charlotte that once you "leave the neighborhood" that you are safe.

As to East Town Market, yes--the roof is orange but the new management, Sterling Corporation, has done extensive landscaping, added more lighting and a security patrol. I feel safer over there than at nearby Food Lion stores. Go to Sterling Corp's website and click on the tab "acquistions" and you will see they indeed have an Hispanic agenda. However, they seem to have lost more businesses than they have attracted and maybe they will just go away or rethink their agenda. They will realize soon that they have 700 plus households across the street in Grove Park and Ravenwood that are hungry for national chain shopping. If they don't they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I would encourage anyone looking for value for their real estate dollars to investigate Grove Park. I think ten years from now values will skyrocket.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 457,543 times
Default Grove Park-Ravenwood-Charloote in general

I did admitt this in th every beginning of my post..............

" The actual community itself is nice. Lots of older folks and retirees. "

And I witnessed this with my own eyes................

" But as they pass on a different class of people are buying those "

My main problem was not Grove Park or Ravenwood which is where we lived. For the most part people were very nice and I loved the neighborhood. The comments I made about the area are very true. Watch the news every night and track it and see how many times you here the words "East Charlotte" when they are reporting crime stories, car jackings, murders,etc. And you are right, there are alot of areas in Charlotte that are the same way thus my reason for leaving Charlotte. I am not naive. I know there is crime every where including where I moved in Indian Trail but at the end of the year you may have heard of crime in Indian Trail 5-10 times vs. Charlotte hundreds of times. Quite honestly, Charlotte is not nearly attractive, (and I don't mean physically because it is still is beautiful, ) as it once was because of the crime and until they can figure out a way to keep all the scum in jail that the Charlotte police officers works so hard and risk there lives to arrest, it will only get worst. Peter Gilchrist is a joke and Charlotte judicial system is severely broken. It is not the officers faults. All they can do is arrest the thugs but then they see them back on the streets in a day or two , what can the do.

Every thug that you see arested for violent crime such as the thug in Gateway Village last week, look at there past rap sheet and ask yourself, why are they still on the streets.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Default jsimbal

Yes, Charlotte is a cesspool--all of it--even expensive neighborhoods. Why do you think Dilworth marched on City Hall last spring--cause even the priviledged have been touched. The day I retire we leave town for a small mountain town. It would be oh so nice to be able to go out at night without looking over your shoulder.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimbal View Post
Yes, Charlotte is a cesspool--all of it--even expensive neighborhoods. Why do you think Dilworth marched on City Hall last spring--cause even the priviledged have been touched. The day I retire we leave town for a small mountain town. It would be oh so nice to be able to go out at night without looking over your shoulder.
Well, nationally meth labs abound in small mountain towns, so just be aware you could be trading one kind of "cesspool" for another.

NO ONE likes the current crime levels in Charlotte - but this is still a beautiful city and a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or