U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 AM
 
578 posts, read 2,349,711 times
Reputation: 305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Sorry I don't watch Oprah ... guess I am only female that has never ever seen the Oprah Show ... I did look through her magazine at the doctor's office this past week.

To the OP ... would you please define DL ... down low ... that's a new one for me.

My almost 13 year old son asked me yesterday, "Mom, who's Oprah?" I don't really watch Oprah either (who has time?), but I thought that was funny.

ETA: I don't think Charlotte is anything like Atlanta either. That's like saying that Portland is a little Seattle, and those two cities really are not that similar, aside from geography. I haven't been to Atlanta in some years, but Atlanta's "feel" and Charlotte's "feel" are totally different. I'm not sure about Atlanta, but I would suspect that Charlotte's atmosphere would have a lot to do with all the non-natives that live here.

 
Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 AM
 
10 posts, read 23,677 times
Reputation: 14
SugaColes,

There are obviosuly not very many African American folks on this thread because DL has been out for years. It is real and is affecting our community in a very negative manner. There are times when AIDS is being passed to unknowing partners because these individuals are sneaking and not wearing condoms. So for those of you who have a problem with labels you should read a bit more or don't respond to something you know nothing about. It is not funny! It is real in our community and affecting our families and our lives. I am sure you will become more aware of it when it transfers over to your community (by the way read the statistics it's coming!) because then it will matter to you and become world news!

Now, that being said for the person who has a problem with Atlanta get over it. Atlanta in my opinion is an amazing city with diversity, culture and has given African Americans amazing opportunity to shine. Atlanta is not as nearly conservative as Charlotte so something tells me that you have DL men (of all colors) who you will never see.

Finally, this is a forum to educate so just because you have never heard of it does not mean it does not exist. Open your minds you might learn something of importance besides whose opening up a donkin donughts soon!
 
Old 12-25-2007, 10:27 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,021,194 times
Reputation: 2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Diva View Post
Finally, this is a forum to educate so just because you have never heard of it does not mean it does not exist. Open your minds you might learn something of importance besides whose opening up a donkin donughts soon!
Honestly I would rather not be 'educated' in such things.
IMHO 'DL' is more appropriately described as 'dumb loser'.

No wonder there is so much AIDS in this world.

I am nearing 40, traveled around the world, worked for several Fortune 200 companies, and have never seen Oprah.

And beyond that, donuts are the least of my concern as there are too many fat people around this country already.


Now back to your regular scheduled program of porn and donuts apparently...

Last edited by mullman; 12-25-2007 at 11:26 AM..
 
Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 PM
 
9,905 posts, read 9,259,987 times
Reputation: 8035
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
The term DL has been very popular in the black community for several years not only referring to a man whom is bi but trying to pass as hetero but also to keep something quiet. So you may tell a secret to your friend and you would tell this person to "keep it on the DL".
WOW one learns something new everyday ... I guess they are still in the closet around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
My almost 13 year old son asked me yesterday, "Mom, who's Oprah?" I don't really watch Oprah either (who has time?), but I thought that was funny.
LOL That is funny! OH MY you are about to hit the teenage years with your son!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym Diva View Post
Finally, this is a forum to educate so just because you have never heard of it does not mean it does not exist. Open your minds you might learn something of importance besides whose opening up a donkin donughts soon!
I prefer Krispy Kreme to dunkin! Is Krispy opening a new location?
 
Old 12-25-2007, 04:36 PM
 
451 posts, read 1,119,584 times
Reputation: 216
I have wondered about this 2. I see a lot of this living in a military town. Men who are married, but when we go on deployment they hook up with other men. Now this is nothing new, or nothing to alarm anyone, but this should be a cause of concern for everyone. This DL issue is not a black or white issue. In DC there are men on the DL everywhere and because of the positions of society these men have they tend to live this dual lifestytle. I personally think that if we accepted gay people more across america the urge to live the dual lifesystle would take a dramatic decline.
 
Old 12-26-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
295 posts, read 1,191,548 times
Reputation: 133
As long as they keep it on the DL and keep it in the ATL, I'll keep turning a blind eye to it.

As far as it coming to Charlotte ... I sure hope not. I'm relatively new to Charlotte, but there was a reason I chose it compared to Atlanta. Atlanta is fine for what it is, but its not for me to want to live in. The people that chose Atlanta probably would say the same thing for Charlotte or Nashville or other nearby southern cities. Good thing we all have options.
 
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Dallas, NC
1,703 posts, read 3,512,711 times
Reputation: 808
I don't have an issue with the black or white of it but it is VERY frightening to think of men living a double life behind their wives backs and probably spreading diseases to their unsuspecting spouses! If you are gay, then be gay. Shout it from the roof tops. I honestly won't have a problem with you (have several lesbian friends and they are wonderful people!) but I can't stand the thought of the DL, as you say, men doing this. I don't think this is as out there as you think. Granted I'm white and live in a small Gaston county town, but I never knew that is what down low really meant! Wow, I really did learn something today. It's scary, but I'm glad I was educated. I wish there were warning signs for this type of thing!
 
Old 12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,748,219 times
Reputation: 1008
Actually there has been a problem with this in Charlotte at some of the parks and also near the airport.
 
Old 12-26-2007, 12:26 PM
 
451 posts, read 1,119,584 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually there has been a problem with this in Charlotte at some of the parks and also near the airport.

There guys like senator Craig tapping on the stalls in the airport LOL.


Also for a poster above, down low was slang term used for this. It didn't always mean this until a few years ago. But now when you use the words DL people connect it to men who sleep with men, but aren't gay.
 
Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,661,326 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
men who sleep with men, but aren't gay.
Oxymoron anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top