Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM

19 posts, read 39,076 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating college in May, and I am looking to move to the Charlotte area. I will be looking for a teaching job, so i have a few questions....

1.)Where is a good place to move to for someone who is 23 years old....I am looking into buying a condo, but I won't rule out renting apartments though...

2.) What are your views of the school systems? I will be licensed grades 4-9...

3.) any other info about the Charlotte area that may help me

oh, and i've been to the Lake Norman area before and loved it so i'm looking around there in particular!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM

252 posts, read 879,728 times
AS in most cities there are good and bad schools. The Lake Norman area is great and most of the schools there are highly rated...Nice condos in that area

Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
My suggestion would be to rent for 6 months to a year. That would give you time to look around and really explore the area and see where you really want to live.

Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Thank you both for your sugesstions! If anyone else has any advice, keep it coming!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 13,355 times
Default Schools

Definitely check out Union County for a great school system and an excellent place to live.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
23 years old, sounds like your single, and looking for good schools? I would look no further than LKN. I would suggest downtown, but schools would be an issue unless you commuted. You would have it all in LKN!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Union County is nice, but not if you are 23. Uptown is where alot of young professional singles are moving. Families too. Depends on what school system you will be working for and what school you will be working at. Southpark and Ballantyne and Lake Norman have alot of singles too.

Also depends on your price range.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM

14 posts, read 34,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croush View Post
I will be graduating college in May, and I am looking to move to the Charlotte area. I will be looking for a teaching job, so i have a few questions....

1.)Where is a good place to move to for someone who is 23 years old....I am looking into buying a condo, but I won't rule out renting apartments though...

2.) What are your views of the school systems? I will be licensed grades 4-9...

3.) any other info about the Charlotte area that may help me

oh, and i've been to the Lake Norman area before and loved it so i'm looking around there in particular!
The CMS school system is tough, especially in the middle schools. You might want to stay with elementary. Union County has a great schools and their structure surpass CMS. However, as a single 23 year old, you will without social outlets. Uptown Charlotte is a better choice - depends on your priority - singles life or school system

Old 01-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Is the CMS school system really as bad as what I keep hearing?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 42,045 times
I hope you realize that the NC public school system is either the 48 or 49 worse out of 50 states. You might want to try private schools if you are into quality education. My neighbor moved here from Rocester NY with 2 daughters, one in high school. The daughter wants to be a doctor but she said she is afraid that she is not getting a good education in NC. The schools she went to in NY are years ahead of what they teach in NC comparable grades. I told her to look for classes on the internet because competition is tough for medical school.

I bought her a magazine that listed the 100 best public school in the country and told her to try and find one near a relative that she could live with until she finishes high school. Or to see if she could find a good private school here.

Where I moved here from the high school had their own radio and tv stations run by the students, they were designing and building the next generation computers, etc. These kids were receiving full scholarships to MIT, CAL Tech, etc. while in high school because their work is attracting national attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte