Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM

47 posts, read 106,970 times

Advertisements

would love to see a thread about the downfall of East Meck...that used to be a top area H.S.

First time poster, long time reader.

The answer to this question goes back to the opening of Providence HS in the late 80s (and later Butler).

Imagine taking some of the best students at EM and putting them in Providence HS and Butler HS -- what kind of impact do you think this would have on the school? Keep in mind that not so many years ago, EM was in many ways what MP and Providence are today. A while back, folks from Matthews all the way to Sherwood Forest and Cotswold and down a good ways on Providence Road went to EM. Now many students in those same locations go to Providence, Butler, and Myers Park.

Today, EM does have the IB program, which has a great reputation. I still think that EM is a fine school, and wouldn't hestitate to send my son there. Plus, it does offer a more diverse student experience than many schools in other parts of Charlotte.

I also think that all of the changes in the student assignment plan over the last 5 or so years have had a huge impact on things. I'd rather not open that can of worms, but all you have to do is look at the number of high poverty schools now vs. about 5 years ago to see the impact.

I mean really --that many schools with over 90% poverty? That is not only absurd, it's almost criminal.

Just my .02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM

71 posts, read 284,948 times
Amen, I concur completely. I'm from Greensboro so I understand if someone yells at me that I really don't know. I've only been to Charlotte three times (like eight if you count trips to the airport) and yeah, people's perceptions of "bad" often equates to poorer or minority populations.

I grew up in one of the most diverse neighborhoods here in Greensboro. It really helped develop me as a responsible human being. I went to a magnet school for elementary and was exposed to a great variety of people. Also, in my own neighborhood (middle-middle class to lower-middle neighborhood) I had a Black family across the street, White behind me, Cambodians to the right and Vietnamese diagonal and to the left of me. All of these different cultures help.

Often, you find these in older neighborhoods and ones that people could see as "bad" just because they aren't cookie-cutter suburbia.

Amen about the schools, Bravo.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 PM

474 posts, read 1,416,841 times
We like Matthews and Mint Hill. IMO stay away from West Blvd - my son was car jacked over there several years ago.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 AM

13 posts, read 34,076 times
if all of this crime is a higher than "normal", is there any talk of possible solutions on the news or behind the scenes that anyone knows of? i know the area is skyrocketing and so maybe there are a lot of other problems to deal with at the same time, but are there any steps being made to try and put a leash on the crime around here?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM

10 posts, read 23,488 times
Default Charlotte neighborhoods:IdLeWiLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-Smart View Post
Stay away from harris, starting at independence all the way to the uncc area. Also stay away from idlewild, albemarle rd and monroe road.
I just looked at the crime mapping on CMPD and it seems like the big blue circles are all over the retail thoroughfares which says a whole lot of nothing. And all three of those roads fit that description.

What about the neighborhood of Idlewild? I was in the Huntingtowne Farms area and the areas off of Park and just figured out it was out of my price range so I wandered over to Idlewild.

Checking the crime out, I searched for 7331 Marlbrook which happens to be a property I like in a neighborhood I visited two weeks ago and seemed ok, and all the blue dots were vandalism, larceny / auto, robbery (same as the blue dots you'll find in Elizabeth and Myers Park) etc. But I know very little about the demographics of the neighborhood, and I'd like to learn more about this and the schools.

I'd appreciate getting a Charlottean's perspective on this. The sterile suburbanites in the spankin-new subdivisions outside Rte. 485 who rarely venture into CLT proper can sit this one out.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCheshireCat View Post
I just looked at the crime mapping on CMPD and it seems like the big blue circles are all over the retail thoroughfares which says a whole lot of nothing. And all three of those roads fit that description.

What about the neighborhood of Idlewild? I was in the Huntingtowne Farms area and the areas off of Park and just figured out it was out of my price range so I wandered over to Idlewild.

Checking the crime out, I searched for 7331 Marlbrook which happens to be a property I like in a neighborhood I visited two weeks ago and seemed ok, and all the blue dots were vandalism, larceny / auto, robbery (same as the blue dots you'll find in Elizabeth and Myers Park) etc. But I know very little about the demographics of the neighborhood, and I'd like to learn more about this and the schools.

I'd appreciate getting a Charlottean's perspective on this. The sterile suburbanites in the spankin-new subdivisions outside Rte. 485 who rarely venture into CLT proper can sit this one out.
Dan, I for one really appreciate that you are taking the time to look at older established neighborhoods as an option. And I have to say, there are many homes with great yards on Marlbrook that show a true pride in ownership.

HOWEVER, I would not personally ever live there and cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone other than an "urban pioneer". This is due to the proximity of Marlbrook to one of the worst areas in all of Charlotte - Farm Pond Lane. That section of Albemarle Road that intersects with Farm Pond Lane is just the pits too. There are just some real ghetto types in those apartments and crime is rampant - a damn shame for the whole area. I would suggest you look at a few other areas instead, like Coventry Woods and Sheffield - unless you really are an urban pioneer from some place like Philly Best of luck in your search.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM

10 posts, read 23,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would suggest you look at a few other areas instead, like Coventry Woods and Sheffield - unless you really are an urban pioneer from some place like Philly Best of luck in your search.
Well I guess I am an urban pioneer, though Idlewild feels like a suburb to me coming from Providence and growing up in the most densely-populated state. Maybe no one will buy my house and the price will drop some more and further entice me to get out of here sooner than the end of the year.

The issue is cost here and I really can't afford to be anything but a pioneer. I live in a small house here in a culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhood because its all I can afford (before gas/food prices going up - now I can't even). When I move to CLT I would rather be close to city amenities, but I can't afford to live in Dilworth or Chantilly - even Wilmore. That West Blvd area appears to be Charlotte's half-million dollar ghetto, so I'm not spending any time trying to get in there.

If you could tell me more about Sheffield and Coventry (main streets there) then I'd appreciate it. If I can afford it I'll definitely check it out.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCheshireCat View Post
Well I guess I am an urban pioneer, though Idlewild feels like a suburb to me coming from Providence and growing up in the most densely-populated state. Maybe no one will buy my house and the price will drop some more and further entice me to get out of here sooner than the end of the year.

The issue is cost here and I really can't afford to be anything but a pioneer. I live in a small house here in a culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhood because its all I can afford (before gas/food prices going up - now I can't even). When I move to CLT I would rather be close to city amenities, but I can't afford to live in Dilworth or Chantilly - even Wilmore. That West Blvd area appears to be Charlotte's half-million dollar ghetto, so I'm not spending any time trying to get in there.

If you could tell me more about Sheffield and Coventry (main streets there) then I'd appreciate it. If I can afford it I'll definitely check it out.
I can recommend several good neighborhoods in your price range

I'll send you some links on dm to prove you don't HAVE to be an urban pioneer unless you want to be!

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
everyone seems down on west boulevard, and while some of it is understandable, it doesnt deserve to be painted all bad... I work there so I spend 60 or 70 hours a week there and am involved in community events as well just being in the neighborhood and meeting the people who live there. There is crime, but its mostly petty non violent crimes done by young misguided boys such as car break ins and stealing phones and wallets left unattended or in lockers. Of course there are violent crimes also but those are going to happen everywhere, I havent noticed a larger number of those on West Blvd than anywhere else in Charlotte. There are some gang related crimes ( mostly car break ins and drug related crimes ) but Ive noticed that most of the gang related stuff is young boys trying to prove themselves and dont really mean to do any harm to anyone. The city has taken strides to lessen the crime that is there by moving businesses into the area and having police outreach programs to the poorer communities like West Boulevard and I can attest that they are working. To sum up my point, while crime is crime and all crime is bad, the crime in Charlotte, even West Boulevard, is very petty compared to the organized crime of Atlanta, LA, or NY, just lock your doors, keep your possessions on you at all times and dont walk up dark alleys and you will be fine.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisko7gwu View Post
everyone seems down on west boulevard, and while some of it is understandable, it doesnt deserve to be painted all bad... I work there so I spend 60 or 70 hours a week there and am involved in community events as well just being in the neighborhood and meeting the people who live there. There is crime, but its mostly petty non violent crimes done by young misguided boys such as car break ins and stealing phones and wallets left unattended or in lockers. Of course there are violent crimes also but those are going to happen everywhere, I havent noticed a larger number of those on West Blvd than anywhere else in Charlotte. There are some gang related crimes ( mostly car break ins and drug related crimes ) but Ive noticed that most of the gang related stuff is young boys trying to prove themselves and dont really mean to do any harm to anyone. The city has taken strides to lessen the crime that is there by moving businesses into the area and having police outreach programs to the poorer communities like West Boulevard and I can attest that they are working. To sum up my point, while crime is crime and all crime is bad, the crime in Charlotte, even West Boulevard, is very petty compared to the organized crime of Atlanta, LA, or NY, just lock your doors, keep your possessions on you at all times and dont walk up dark alleys and you will be fine.
I appreciate your optimism and view on being proactive about crime.

But as for the type of crime going on and attempting to "lessen it" by saying it is being perpetrated by "misguided boys" . . . I have to comment . . . that I don't think it means a thing to a victim of crime as to who committed it or whether they are 16 or 61. If your car gets broken into or your purse snatched - it really doesn't matter if a "young boy" or wanna-be "gang member" or druggie did it . . .

I apologize if I read your post wrong . . . as I know you posted to de-mystify the depth of crime in that area . . . by saying career criminals are not the ones doing it . . . but . . . the thugs who were recently apprehended for kicking in doors and ripping off homes were all under the age of 20 (correct me if I am wrong!!!) and had all been previously convicted of other crimes. So the fact that young boys are running in packs perpetrating crime is somehow . . . not comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte