Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 44,934 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input to Cherryville area? We are looking to move from Jackson, NJ area and Cherryville seems like a nice area within 45-60 minutes to Charlotte? Kids are grown, so not concerned with schools. We like a country setting, but yet close enough to major city ( we are now 1hr to NY or Phila). Would like a small town atmosphere..and Cherryville seems to have that. I do realize Carolina Freightways closed and other factories as well, but I hear there is new growth coming and pplans to widen 150 from Lincolnton are underway( which indicates growth to me?)
Also, I am a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan..so any fans in the area would be welcome..lol..although I know Nascar probably takes top billing in the area...
Anyway...any comments are welcome.....Thanks
P.S. We already looked at areas in Fort Mill, Rock Hill SC, Gastonia, Kings Mountain.......haven't been wowed by anything yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Just so you dont move and have someone wonder what you are trying to pronouce the city is prounce like "Chair-vul".

The people around that location are very friendly and I have notice have their own version of southern dialect that I like listening to. I only thought NC had 4 versions of dialect , North Carolina, applachain, Eastern, and OBX, however after hanging out with poeple in that area there is a very friendly foothills dialect.

I like the country beautiful rolling hills with the mountains in the distance back drop can be amazing around Cherryville.

It is a short drive to Shelby or Lincolnton for your shopping and errand needs both are very well establish southern North Carolina towns.

The area has low diversity and it is not a popular place for people from other states so you may find limited amount of friends who have also relocated, or share your views.
You may also alot of family streets which is a street where a brother of coworker lives across the street from the coworker, dad next door and a cousin that lives up the road.

Good thing is you will get a lot more house and acreage for the $$ than closer to Charlotte.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Just so you dont move and have someone wonder what you are trying to pronouce the city is prounce like "Chair-vul".
Yes! I've also heard some Gaston county natives prounouce it "Churr-vul"

NJeaglesfan - I second what Sunny said. From what I've heard, Cherryville is a nice town.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJeaglesfan View Post
Looking for some input to Cherryville area? We are looking to move from Jackson, NJ area and Cherryville seems like a nice area within 45-60 minutes to Charlotte? Kids are grown, so not concerned with schools. We like a country setting, but yet close enough to major city ( we are now 1hr to NY or Phila). Would like a small town atmosphere..and Cherryville seems to have that. I do realize Carolina Freightways closed and other factories as well, but I hear there is new growth coming and pplans to widen 150 from Lincolnton are underway( which indicates growth to me?)
Also, I am a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan..so any fans in the area would be welcome..lol..although I know Nascar probably takes top billing in the area...
Anyway...any comments are welcome.....Thanks
P.S. We already looked at areas in Fort Mill, Rock Hill SC, Gastonia, Kings Mountain.......haven't been wowed by anything yet....
Churr-vul certainly fits your description: rural setting, within an hours drive of a large city, small town atmosphere, growing area. I'm afraid you won't find many, if any Eagles fans though. You will find plenty of Panthers fans and they will do their best to convert you! You'll also find an area rich in local history, customs and folklore. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:05 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
Everything you said is correct except one. I grew up 10 minutes from Churr-vul (which is really how we say it here) in Crouse. They talked about widening 150 for years before Carolina Freight closed. I don't know why they still did it. There is no major growth in this area at all. There is a Wal-Mart getting ready to open on 150 and that is the first thing to open around here in YEARS! But it is a nice little rural town. You would be looking at 1 hour or more to get to Charlotte depending on where you want to go. However, I prefer living out in this area. I live in Dallas which is right down the road and love it. There are days I wish my commute was shorter but I love knowing I'm not in Charlotte but am close enough to get there quickly! Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your input and thoughts on cherryville..austinsmom, NCgirl and Major Minor
We will be looking at property in Cherryville in 3 days..thanks again

Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,302 times
Thumbs up Cherryville

You might also check out Moss Lake which is just outside Cherryville. My mom lives there and she really likes it. There are quite a few retired people in her neighborhood, Northshore Drive. She's been there (moved from NJ) for about 10 years. Great community.

Good Luck

Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
You might also check out Moss Lake which is just outside Cherryville. My mom lives there and she really likes it. There are quite a few retired people in her neighborhood, Northshore Drive. She's been there (moved from NJ) for about 10 years. Great community.

Good Luck
Thanks......I did research land in the Moss Lake area...however I do plan to have a stick built modular home on the property I buy and finish it myself as I have done here in NJ..and it seems like all the property in the lake area does not allow modulars. When I say modular I mean a stick built home set on a foundation from the factory not what I call a mobile home..seems like in the south the meaning is different...some tell me a mobile home is referred to manufactured home..and a home I am speaking of is a modular..which are allowed in many areas...

Old 12-26-2007, 11:11 PM

92 posts, read 317,899 times
Never heard anything bad about it....except it's chur-ville.....he...he...!!! Seriously, the area doesn't raise a red flag in my head...My ol' man said it's a really nice area...so there you go...

Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,472 times
Hello, Everyone
I am considering moving to Cherryville in a few months. Do any of you know anything about the school system there? I have a son in the 6th grade and I am concerned about his transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte