Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
But as I've said, if one takes an in depth look at things, Concord offers very little that isn't available in Gastonia. I'm not arguing that Concord Mills isn't a draw for people - I'm arguing that when one looks beyond Concord Mills, there's not much difference.
Well it's kind of hard to look beyond Concord Mills with its ~200 stores and such. That does make a difference.

Personally, Concord Mills Blvd is too busy for me to want to live in close proximity and I prefer living closer to Uptown, but we live in a suburban nation so I understand why that huge cluster of stores, restaurants, entertainment, etc. is the draw that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:31 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I can see that as it's only about 30 miles and you can easily do 70-75 mph up 321. We used to take some back roads when we went so that's probably why I recall it taking longer...went up there just to eat at J&S Cafeteria.
I take 321 to NC 10 (Exit 37) to Robinson Road. That takes you to their mall & several shopping centers.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But speaking of downtown Gastonia, this thread is probably as good as any to put it in, but I recently ate at Nick's Steak and Taphouse which was really cool. Good food and really cool atmosphere.
I guess it didn't help that I haven't been back since this post, but I was thinking of trying to go to Nick's this weekend and just saw that it is closed. Possibly something to do with the owner's wife being arrested for selling cocaine?? Anybody know the scoop?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I guess it didn't help that I haven't been back since this post, but I was thinking of trying to go to Nick's this weekend and just saw that it is closed. Possibly something to do with the owner's wife being arrested for selling cocaine?? Anybody know the scoop?
Apparently he was a bit behind on payments then the wife was arrested in proximity to the restaurant. From what I hear there's interest in the building for another restaurant. The other day, while driving down Franklin, eastbound, I noticed a sign in the parking lot at Franklin & South that Nicks used for customer parking. A building is going up there.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:19 AM

25 posts, read 33,720 times
Hello Belmont guy,

This thread you started is a bit old but I am doing research on Belmont, NC and hope you can help me a bit. We are considering a move to Belmont from a suburban town 45 minutes North of Boston. My husband is in IT but will not be commuting to Charlotte. He is keeping the job he has here, working from home in NC and flying back here as needed. We are considering Belmont because of its' proximity to the airport, affordable housing, and closeness to Atlanta where we both have family and friends living.

Do you see any interracial couples in your city at all? I am Caribbean-American and he is German-Chinese, born and raised in Germany and is a fluent German speaker. We have one child, 7 yrs old. We have told only a few people about our plans, one couple in particular, an afro-american/asian recommended we not move to Gaston Co. and to stay as close to Charlotte as possible. I'm doing research on Huntersville, but it seems to be more expensive, more crowded, more traffic and not as desirable to us.

The town we live in now is 99% white. We haven't had any issues here but it hasn't been the warmest reception either, but that's how it is up here. I don't think it has much to do with race, people up here keep to themselves. We are hoping the people are friendlier in North Carolina. While I don't expect to come in contact with any direct racism, I don't want us to be socially excluded, invisible or ignored, especially because we have an only and want to make sure she has as much social interaction with other kids as possible.

I hope you or others can help us decide if Belmont is a good city for us. Thank you!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangolover View Post
Hello Belmont guy,

This thread you started is a bit old but I am doing research on Belmont, NC and hope you can help me a bit. We are considering a move to Belmont from a suburban town 45 minutes North of Boston. My husband is in IT but will not be commuting to Charlotte. He is keeping the job he has here, working from home in NC and flying back here as needed. We are considering Belmont because of its' proximity to the airport, affordable housing, and closeness to Atlanta where we both have family and friends living.

Do you see any interracial couples in your city at all? I am Caribbean-American and he is German-Chinese, born and raised in Germany and is a fluent German speaker. We have one child, 7 yrs old. We have told only a few people about our plans, one couple in particular, an afro-american/asian recommended we not move to Gaston Co. and to stay as close to Charlotte as possible. I'm doing research on Huntersville, but it seems to be more expensive, more crowded, more traffic and not as desirable to us.

The town we live in now is 99% white. We haven't had any issues here but it hasn't been the warmest reception either, but that's how it is up here. I don't think it has much to do with race, people up here keep to themselves. We are hoping the people are friendlier in North Carolina. While I don't expect to come in contact with any direct racism, I don't want us to be socially excluded, invisible or ignored, especially because we have an only and want to make sure she has as much social interaction with other kids as possible.

I hope you or others can help us decide if Belmont is a good city for us. Thank you!
I live in Kings Mountain. I would suggest that you plan a trip & check out Belmont & Cramerton. You could also look at SE Gastonia & Kings Mountain. There are German companies in the area. There are Germans in the area. I have heard German being spoken in Aldis. There is nothing unusual about interracial couples.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM

186 posts, read 604,272 times
I'm in Cramerton. My neighbors up the street are mixed race marriage, and several other families are multi-racial in my neighborhood. Probably YMMV depending on how much you are going to spend on housing and where you live. (Not sure the science on this, but I assume higher SES would probably have a little more open mindedness).

Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM

60 posts, read 158,477 times
We have lived in Belmont for 5 months now and love it. I would love to meet you and your family if you moved here -- we have a 7,8,9 year olds. I feel like the schools are diverse and that Belmont is somewhat diverse in demographics. I feel it is more progressive then a lot of Gastonia. Let me know if you do move here!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 AM

25 posts, read 33,720 times
Thank you for your responses southbound, tspoon and Racinefam. We are thinking about a coming down for a visit during spring break. We will spend time in the Charlotte area and Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area too.

How do I send a private message? I've tried all the icons but no message window is opening up. Thanks again!

Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangolover View Post
Thank you for your responses southbound, tspoon and Racinefam. We are thinking about a coming down for a visit during spring break. We will spend time in the Charlotte area and Raleigh/Durham/Cary/Chapel Hill area too.

How do I send a private message? I've tried all the icons but no message window is opening up. Thanks again!
You're welcome.

Click on the screen name of the person who you want to send the message to. Several selections drop down. Click on direct message.

FYI, Kings Mountain is in Gaston & Cleveland counties. For schools, the Cleveland County side is far better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte