U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 50,856 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about attending school in Charlotte. The career I will have after graduation pays about $40k/year for recent grads in Charlotte. That's a great salary where I'm from in central Pennsylvania, but is it a good salary for a single person to live off of in Charlotte? What I mean by good is...can I afford a decent house payment, car payment, etc and still have $ to spend on 'fun' things?? Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 11:15 AM

38 posts, read 85,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby_9c View Post
I'm thinking about attending school in Charlotte. The career I will have after graduation pays about $40k/year for recent grads in Charlotte. That's a great salary where I'm from in central Pennsylvania, but is it a good salary for a single person to live off of in Charlotte? What I mean by good is...can I afford a decent house payment, car payment, etc and still have $ to spend on 'fun' things?? Thanks for your input!
That depends entirely on if you buy a house and car that you can easily afford on $40k per year. Do yourself a favor. In spite of your desires and what you will be told by re agents and car sales people, don't buy anything that is at the top of what you can afford. My rule of thumb is figure out what I can afford then scale it back 25%, you'll always be comfortable. Good Luck with your adventure where ever it leads you.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:15 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby_9c View Post
As a single person, yes. As a family man, no (just my humble opinion). You would need to look in areas likes Huntersville or Harrisburg to find your best deal on a home in your price range, but it could be done. Just don't plan on being able to live close in to uptown Charlotte necessarily, or in south Charlotte at all. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 43,955 times
lovesmountains,

Is it fair to say that your statement above implies that in those two areas is where you'd find lower income families/singles?

Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oandino View Post
lovesmountains,

Is it fair to say that your statement above implies that in those two areas is where you'd find lower income families/singles?

No, the opposite. Houses near to uptown or in south Charlotte are very desirable. It is hard to find anything in those areas now for less than
$200,000.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oandino View Post
lovesmountains,

Sorry, did you mean Huntersville and Harrisburg? No, those areas are not necessarily where you would find low income housing at all. Singles, yes. It's just that those areas are a bit further out and many homes are still affordable there.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 43,955 times
Thank you, lovesmountain. You've answered my question.

cheers

Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 PM

24 posts, read 54,221 times
Default mortgage options

What you can afford will depend a lot on the type of mortgage you get.
There are numeous types of mortgages rangeing from 30 yr fixed, 5/1yr ARM,
to 40 yr fixed 10 yr interest only......

What you should be doing is discussing your option with your banker.
If you need any advice, feel free to contact me.

Eric

Old 11-01-2006, 04:54 PM

31 posts, read 141,686 times
Default Harrisburg

Whatever you do don't go to harrisburg!!! I know some people who were transfered there from Ny by their company and are so unhappy. They say that the people there are the most unfriendly in all of the Charlotte areas.
I was just there looking around to buy a condo, and people I know there( who have lived there all their lives) told me that it is absolutely true!!

We are looking in the Pineville area, still staying in Charlotte city limits, which is a great area!! Don't know about singles though.

Good luck!

Hopeful of moving to charlotte someday,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or