U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,075 times

Advertisements

I think there is a similar thread already in circulation, but after some searching, I couldn't find it. So, here goes, (to anyone who has gone throught the relo-process and is now settled in the Charlotte area):
What are some of the things you wish someone had told you about the RELOCATION PROCESS before you began? What would you have done differently?

Thanks!

Last edited by stmaarten; 10-31-2006 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,108,639 times
All these transplants on this board and no answers for this? Come on guys get those typing fingers out

Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 PM

743 posts, read 2,024,689 times
Default Relo

I am in the process of relocating right now. One thing I wish I knew before now is that when moving from state to state, it is really difficult to get a mortgage. Especially when going from two incomes to one. We had to get a "stated income" loan which has higher rate.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 PM

35 posts, read 150,836 times
Oh wow! That's scary! My job is mobile, so I'll be working for the same company after I move, just from home. My husband, however, will be looking for a new job. We've heard as long as our credit history is good, we should be able to get a good rate. Is that not true? I'm not sure if it matters, but I'll be able to swing the mortgage on my salary alone.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:45 PM

124 posts, read 472,810 times
If it is possible I advise getting your loan while you still have a job prior to relocating if you think you will have trouble finding work when you get there. I know this does not always work and everyones situation is different but the banks like you to have a stable job when they give you money and if you can back that up with a company you have been with for a few years that is even better. just my .02

Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 PM

259 posts, read 1,092,740 times
The one thing I wish I knew before coming to Charlotte was....... knowing about this forum!!
Seriously, I came here having only done research on wikipedia and a couple other websites that give demographics based on zip code, and go by census info which can be years behind. I rented in a not so great area that I had no idea was going to be that bad. Thank goodness I'm out of there now though.
So you're ahead of the game by coming here and asking REAL people's opinions. Not that people are always in agreement but it gives you some direction.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 PM

65 posts, read 44,802 times
want i would like to know is .

does n.c. have whats called here in ohio as e-check ( a machine they use to check your cars emissions/ aka exhaust) some parts in ohio have it some dont... basically if your car fails an e-check the state wont let you register your car untill you fix the emission problem can be costly at times, basicaly if it you fail you dont drive , fix your car or buy a new car, either way it can cost a crap load if your car fails,

so does n.c. have something like that, my 04 taurus would pass but my fuel efficient toyota would fail in 10 seconds.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
want i would like to know is .

does n.c. have whats called here in ohio as e-check ( a machine they use to check your cars emissions/ aka exhaust) some parts in ohio have it some dont... basically if your car fails an e-check the state wont let you register your car untill you fix the emission problem can be costly at times, basicaly if it you fail you dont drive , fix your car or buy a new car, either way it can cost a crap load if your car fails,

so does n.c. have something like that, my 04 taurus would pass but my fuel efficient toyota would fail in 10 seconds.
Our inspection standards are high here. EVERY inspection station has the same equipment - you don't pass one place there is no going down the road to another. You get x amount of days to fix and try again or you can't drive the car.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM

65 posts, read 44,802 times
is that the same in mooresville, because like in ohio im in central ohio and e-check isnt in my area but up by the lake there is e-check, so do you know if mooresville is the same as my example of my area?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay View Post
is that the same in mooresville, because like in ohio im in central ohio and e-check isnt in my area but up by the lake there is e-check, so do you know if mooresville is the same as my example of my area?

As far as I know these are state standards, doesn't matter where in NC you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte