U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,396,087 times

Advertisements

my take is this area has been invaded by builders of the many cookie cutter subdivsions and do everything they can cut cost and save on time for their development to be finished. If they can sell more homes on smaller track of land and build them quick as a slab type home will provide it more money in their pocket.

The cost and time of basement style homes is not in their favor.
They would have to pay someone to an excavation of the property and not to mention they might run into a large boulder rock to delay the project. The cost of cement is way much higher now so it will cost more and take more time to have the "hole" ground to settle then lay the concrete foundation. The underground wiring and piping would have to be configured and hidden different than what would be used in a slab home.

They would have to pay for a radon inspector and apply correct ventilation if there is an issue. Basement homes are out there even rather new walk out homes. The communtiy across the street from me built a whole row of them but as NCgril mention they are a dime a dozen in the triad.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM

5,545 posts, read 6,650,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
One realtor told me it was the cost of digging into the red clay...another told me it was because of the low water table making moldy basements here....I like not having a basement. Didn't think I would, but I do....
My basement was warm and toasty in the winter. Our house had steam heat with a boiler and the basement also had the washer and dryer in it, along with the gas hot water heater which didn't have to work as hard as it does in my cold NC garage - altho' right now it's 65 degrees outside. I love NC winters! If the water table is so low, wouldn't everyone have a well to water their lawn? You could dig one in an afternoon. I think the builders will tell you anything to get you off their backs on this one. They built houses the next town over from me in NJ that required them to blast through granite to create basements for the new homes in that development. You can do almost anything if you're willing to throw enough money at it!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:23 PM

5,545 posts, read 6,650,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
my take is this area has been invaded by builders of the many cookie cutter subdivsions and do everything they can cut cost and save on time for their development to be finished. If they can sell more homes on smaller track of land and build them quick as a slab type home will provide it more money in their pocket.

They would have to pay someone to an excavation of the property and not to mention they might run into a large boulder rock to delay the project. The cost of cement is way much higher now so it will cost more and take more time to have the "hole" ground to settle then lay the concrete foundation. The underground wiring and piping would have to be configured and hidden different than what would be used in a slab home.

They would have to pay for a radon inspector and apply correct ventilation if there is an issue. Basement homes are out there even rather new walk out homes. The communtiy across the street from me built a whole row of them but as NCgril mention they are a dime a dozen in the triad.
Sunny - I think you hit the nail on the head with your post! Subdivisions down here spring up faster than fertilized kudzu! That probably explains why the NC forum is the biggest of all the state forums. From the number of posts on the NC forum, you would think that North Carolina had more people than California,Texas, and New York combined! Thanks for being such an excellent moderator!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,600 times
Question Things that make you go Hmmmm??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharisse View Post
Our sales rep told us that as well. SHe suggested it would be considered "commercial" instead of residential. WE opted for the finished 3rd floor attic. We still have 3 floors and it was way cheaper than a basement.

Did they dangle a shiny metal object in front of you when they said that?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 PM

92 posts, read 286,549 times
You know what....I bought the hard digging into red clay thing here...just because I came from one state up and it is easier digging than into this rock down here called dirt..this ground is tough here...it's diggable, but it's irritating...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 AM

532 posts, read 1,562,974 times
Default It's the Frost Line...

Y'all... it's a STRUCTURAL and COST equation.

Freezing and Thawing conditions are detrimental to concrete. By code, builders must protect the foundation of any structure by placing the top of the foundation at or below the frost line. The frost line in Charlotte is about 12". As others here have mentioned, excavation any further is very costly.

Up north, where the frost line is 5' or more, excavation is required just to get the foundation protected... so it's actually more cost effective (more SF and value to the home) to continue excavation to get a basement with an 8' ceiling height.

... Back to NC, unless the lot is sloping, or is contaminated with unsuitable soil (that would need removal) it will be very rare and expensive to have a builder build you a basement.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,428,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

But why wouldn't they do the same up North to save money, where the land cost more? The cookie cutter subdivisions are up there too. Like Ryan Homes in the DC area has plans for lower levels or "walk-out basements", but not here.

Quote:

Y'all... it's a STRUCTURAL and COST equation.

Freezing and Thawing conditions are detrimental to concrete. By code, builders must protect the foundation of any structure by placing the top of the foundation at or below the frost line. The frost line in Charlotte is about 12". As others here have mentioned, excavation any further is very costly.

Up north, where the frost line is 5' or more, excavation is required just to get the foundation protected... so it's actually more cost effective (more SF and value to the home) to continue excavation to get a basement with an 8' ceiling height.

... Back to NC, unless the lot is sloping, or is contaminated with unsuitable soil (that would need removal) it will be very rare and expensive to have a builder build you a basement.
Interesting observation, I never thought of that. I could see that making sense if we were comparing Charlotte to Boston or even New York, but what about between Charlotte and Fredericksburg VA? Basements are common there, at least the walk-out ones.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM

142 posts, read 558,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
But why wouldn't they do the same up North to save money, where the land cost more? The cookie cutter subdivisions are up there too. Like Ryan Homes in the DC area has plans for lower levels or "walk-out basements", but not here.

I'm building a Ryan home right now in Verdict Ridge (Denver NC). It has a walk out basement and a bonus room over the garage. One of the main reasons I went with Ryan was for the basement. They build a basement for less than half of any other builder I could find that builds basement homes. I just got bad news form the construction manager too. The ceiling height in my basement is gong to be 11 ft 5 inches instead of the 9 ft ceilings I was supposed to get. Darn!!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM

674 posts, read 602,221 times
Living in the western US, we had a basement and I do not miss it at all. Basements there are underground like the OP wants, not walk outs. Basements like this are just magnets for mold, moisture, and critters in the south. Who wants that?

I think the more common bonus room is more functional and livable in the south.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:35 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,620,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Living in the western US, we had a basement and I do not miss it at all. Basements there are underground like the OP wants, not walk outs. Basements like this are just magnets for mold, moisture, and critters in the south. Who wants that?

I think the more common bonus room is more functional and livable in the south.

I had a basement (along w/many of my friends) growing up in NJ and never ever had a problem w/mold, or moisture. I honestly LOVED it. I would've had one built w/Ryan here in NC, but they wanted a cool 40K extra for it UNFINISHED....no thanks

Mold, moisture & critters can be a problem for people who have crawl spaces even, but if you maintain it properly you can greatly reduce those chances...

Different strokes for different folks...know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte