U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:29 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,881,352 times

Advertisements

I have been a Time Warner Cable customer for over 30 years and I just wanted to say I am so happy to have finally cancelled my service!

I know there have been a lot of posts about Time Warner cable, antennas, converter boxes, Roku, etc. I just purchased a smart TV and got a digital antenna - hooked it up to my TV and I get more than enough channels here in Charlotte (with Netflix) to make me happy!!!!!

Woooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 02:37 PM

348 posts, read 527,456 times
I'm glad I did the same with TW years ago. Been with DirecTV ever since and have had absolutely 0 complaints.

On Friday, I just read where DTV is now being purchased by AT&T.

Just great......

Old 09-28-2014, 02:43 PM

38,059 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Charlotte just got 4 new OTA channels.
  • Escape TV
  • Movies!
  • Heartland
  • getTV
Grit TV will due to start in CLT in October.

Classic Dr. Who is also on RetroTV.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Charlotte just got 4 new OTA channels.
  • Escape TV
  • Movies!
  • Heartland
  • getTV
Grit TV will due to start in CLT in October.

Classic Dr. Who is also on RetroTV.
Thanks for the info WaldoKitty! I will be looking for Grit TV.

I have been having a blast watching some of the old shows I watched when I was a kid (Bewitched, Bonanza, Flipper, etc.).

Old 09-28-2014, 03:50 PM

20,495 posts, read 25,698,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post

I have been having a blast watching some of the old shows I watched when I was a kid (Bewitched, Bonanza, Flipper, etc.).
Dobie Gillis is on in the middle of the night, for those of us who knew Bob Denver as Maynard G Krebs before he was Gilligan.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 PM

2,152 posts, read 5,939,220 times
It's quite liberating to cut the cord from Time Warner. I felt like they were trying to get me to leave them a few years ago. I went with Directv and couldn't be happier.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Dobie Gillis is on in the middle of the night, for those of us who knew Bob Denver as Maynard G Krebs before he was Gilligan.
Oh wow Southbound. I forgot all about Dobie Gillis.
I will keep an eye out for that too.
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 PM

118 posts, read 141,985 times
Good for you! TWC and their customer service was not fun to deal with... You can find multiple webpages and blogs on it but the company never listens. I called support multiple times and always got someone with a bad headset or hung up on. I am with DirectTV as well and am much happier. When I lived uptown I had AT&T which was also very nice.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post

Grit TV is scheduled to debut on WBTV 3.3 coming soon in October. And check out Antenna TV and MeTV on 18.2 and 18.3 if you like those classic old shows. And MeTV is also on WSPA 7.2.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 AM

38,059 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
..... I am with DirectTV as well and am much happier. When I lived uptown I had AT&T which was also very nice.
Most of the OTA channels that we are discussing here can't be received via Direct TV.

We cut the cord 3 years ago not as much to do with the cost, but because the basic channels had all devolved down to nothing more than pointless scripted "reality", and "news" is now nothing more than loudmouths spouting opinion as news. There is no counterpoint as it's nothing more than shilling for the status quo. On the other hand the close to $4000 we haven't sent to DISH has been nice too.

An OTA antenna and optional DVR to go with it, and a Roku or Amazon Fire and you will more TV available than anyone could possibly watch. And all for far less $$s than a cable or sat subscription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or