Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 141,003 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I hate to bother you guys and gals again with another one of these relocation threads, but sometimes I think it's best to hear from the locals.

Okay, my wife-to-be (getting married in October, either cheer for me or pray for me, I'll let you know by November ) and I will be relocating from Phoenix, AZ next summer. I am from Mississippi and she is from the Detroit area in Michigan and we need to be closer to our families. We have our relocation selections down to about 5 places: Memphis, Nashville, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Chicago. I already know about Memphis (my parents live just south of there), I was born in Nashville so I don't need any information on that, I have a good friend who is from Philadelphia, and my Uncle is a season ticket holder for the Cubs, so I'm good there too. The only place I don't have any information on is Charlotte.

I do know that the job market there is less than stellar (or has it come up? I don't really know). However, my future wife and I are both in education, we both have our master's degrees, and we will both move as teacher's and then hopefully progress into administration or curriculum or what have you. Truthfully, I don't see acquiring a job as being to difficult in any of those places. Not to brag or anything, but my wife and I are pretty good candidates for employent (young, educated, and motivated). Besides, I won't move anywhere without a job.

About us:
Who we are?
We are between 27 and 29 years old with a dog and hopefully a child in the next few years. We both have taught in Title I schools and would prefer to stay in Title I. I also know that the salary schedule is frozen in a lot of North Carolina schools (it's frozen in almost every school in Arizona), however, is it frozen in Charlotte? I would think that Charlotte would be ahead of the game on pay rates (and I believe it is). Between the two of us, in North Carolina, and I'm low-balling, according to the salary schedule, we would make around $85,000 a year before taxes.

Why the move?
We are too far away from our family. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on plane tickets and it's too damn hot here. When we have kids, we want people to be able to visit us without having to fly to see us.

Why Charlotte?
We are looking for an up and coming city with people our age and a nice downtown area that we could enjoy. We also want to live in a place where we see fall colors (you don't get that too much in Phoenix).

Our questions:
What would be a good area for us? Safety is a huge concern. We don't care about being in trendy neighborhoods, we would prefer to be in a family friendly suburb with good schools. We only want to send our kids to public schools, so the schools have to be good. We are looking to spend around $125,000 to $160,000 on our our first house.

How is crime in Charlotte? I'm sure it's like heaven compared to Memphis, but I'm curious as to what ya'll think.

Any other information that you think could be helpful would be great! It's an exciting time for us and we can't wait to decide.

Thanks again! If I didn't provide certain information that you need, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 11:31 AM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoAZ View Post
Greetings!

I hate to bother you guys and gals again with another one of these relocation threads, but sometimes I think it's best to hear from the locals.

Okay, my wife-to-be (getting married in October, either cheer for me or pray for me, I'll let you know by November ) and I will be relocating from Phoenix, AZ next summer. I am from Mississippi and she is from the Detroit area in Michigan and we need to be closer to our families. We have our relocation selections down to about 5 places: Memphis, Nashville, Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Chicago. I already know about Memphis (my parents live just south of there), I was born in Nashville so I don't need any information on that, I have a good friend who is from Philadelphia, and my Uncle is a season ticket holder for the Cubs, so I'm good there too. The only place I don't have any information on is Charlotte.

I do know that the job market there is less than stellar (or has it come up? I don't really know). However, my future wife and I are both in education, we both have our master's degrees, and we will both move as teacher's and then hopefully progress into administration or curriculum or what have you. Truthfully, I don't see acquiring a job as being to difficult in any of those places. Not to brag or anything, but my wife and I are pretty good candidates for employent (young, educated, and motivated). Besides, I won't move anywhere without a job.

About us:
Who we are?
We are between 27 and 29 years old with a dog and hopefully a child in the next few years. We both have taught in Title I schools and would prefer to stay in Title I. I also know that the salary schedule is frozen in a lot of North Carolina schools (it's frozen in almost every school in Arizona), however, is it frozen in Charlotte? I would think that Charlotte would be ahead of the game on pay rates (and I believe it is). Between the two of us, in North Carolina, and I'm low-balling, according to the salary schedule, we would make around $85,000 a year before taxes.

Why the move?
We are too far away from our family. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on plane tickets and it's too damn hot here. When we have kids, we want people to be able to visit us without having to fly to see us.

Why Charlotte?
We are looking for an up and coming city with people our age and a nice downtown area that we could enjoy. We also want to live in a place where we see fall colors (you don't get that too much in Phoenix).

Our questions:
What would be a good area for us? Safety is a huge concern. We don't care about being in trendy neighborhoods, we would prefer to be in a family friendly suburb with good schools. We only want to send our kids to public schools, so the schools have to be good. We are looking to spend around $125,000 to $160,000 on our our first house.

How is crime in Charlotte? I'm sure it's like heaven compared to Memphis, but I'm curious as to what ya'll think.

Any other information that you think could be helpful would be great! It's an exciting time for us and we can't wait to decide.

Thanks again! If I didn't provide certain information that you need, please let me know!
Also look at Gaston County schools & Cleveland County schools for openings. You don't say if you'll be looking for elementary or secondary. In your price range with good schools you are probably looking at Belmont or Kings Mountain to get the most bang for your buck.

You might make out a lot better in Philly. It will all depend on the results of the election in November.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Also look at Gaston County schools & Cleveland County schools for openings. You don't say if you'll be looking for elementary or secondary. In your price range with good schools you are probably looking at Belmont or Kings Mountain to get the most bang for your buck.

You might make out a lot better in Philly. It will all depend on the results of the election in November.
Thanks for your response. We'll be looking for both elementary and secondary. I teach elementary and my future wife teaches secondary. However, when I move into administration, I can do either elementary or secondary.

What about Matthews?

What's going on with the elections?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. We'll be looking for both elementary and secondary. I teach elementary and my future wife teaches secondary. However, when I move into administration, I can do either elementary or secondary.

What about Matthews?

What's going on with the elections?
The election in November will determine if the current tea party Republicans lose some of their grip. Many are running unopposed. There are numerous threads on the Charlotte board & the NC board about teaching.

Matthews is east of Charlotte in Mecklenburg County. The schools are good there but I don't know if your price-point will work there.

Also, I wouldn't look at all of Cleveland County for schools. Keep it to Kings Mountain & Shelby. Also be aware of Early College High Schools.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The election in November will determine if the current tea party Republicans lose some of their grip. Many are running unopposed. There are numerous threads on the Charlotte board & the NC board about teaching.

Matthews is east of Charlotte in Mecklenburg County. The schools are good there but I don't know if your price-point will work there.

Also, I wouldn't look at all of Cleveland County for schools. Keep it to Kings Mountain & Shelby. Also be aware of Early College High Schools.

Ah, got ya. I probably should have known about the elections . I'm a big supporter of buying the crummiest house in the best neighborhood and putting in the 'sweat equity' to make it liveable. My lady has looked at houses on Zillow in Matthews and seemed to like what she saw, which is why I asked.

Thanks, I'll keep your reccommendations in mind!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ah, got ya. I probably should have known about the elections . I'm a big supporter of buying the crummiest house in the best neighborhood and putting in the 'sweat equity' to make it liveable. My lady has looked at houses on Zillow in Matthews and seemed to like what she saw, which is why I asked.

Thanks, I'll keep your reccommendations in mind!
OK, most people on here don't think that way. In that case, have her look in SE Gastonia as well as Belmont, Cramerton, & Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain won't work for all areas, but then Matthews won't work for everywhere either. Mooresville has excellent schools. But I don't know about fixer-uppers. No one area will work for the whole area. You might want to have several places in mind if you decide on the Charlotte area.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM

That's why I'm talking to you . I want to know all the areas that you think would be best for us. We have done a little research on Charlotte and it seems to me that Charlotte is a pretty family friendly city and I think it may be a good place to start a family.

Again, thanks for your input.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
That's why I'm talking to you . I want to know all the areas that you think would be best for us. We have done a little research on Charlotte and it seems to me that Charlotte is a pretty family friendly city and I think it may be a good place to start a family.

Again, thanks for your input.
I live west of Charlotte. Hopefully you'll get responses from people in other areas. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Matthews would probably be a good fit. It is safe and family friendly and has pretty reasonable prices and maybe the best schools you can get in that price range, however you may not want to be in the immediate vicinity of 74.

I'm not that familiar with teaching jobs in the area, but there have been several threads on here talking about how CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) is not that great to their teachers (pay and otherwise). However I would guess that it is probably easier to get a job in the Title 1 schools than the more suburban ones.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Matthews would probably be a good fit. It is safe and family friendly and has pretty reasonable prices and maybe the best schools you can get in that price range, however you may not want to be in the immediate vicinity of 74.

I'm not that familiar with teaching jobs in the area, but there have been several threads on here talking about how CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) is not that great to their teachers (pay and otherwise). However I would guess that it is probably easier to get a job in the Title 1 schools than the more suburban ones.
Thanks for your response. North Carolina is one of the many states that is struggling with funding and therefore not paying teachers adequately. The good thing is that I'll probably only teach for another year and then I'll move into administration.

I'm going to look in to Matthews a little deeper.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte