Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Since I'm not Jewish, I'll probably say this wrong so I apologize in advance

On Sardis Road in southeast Charlotte there is, I think, a "lubavich" temple. I believe these must be the more conservative Jews, but not Hasidic necessarily as the men don't have the ringlets of hair on both sides of their faces? However, I do see many walking to Friday evening or Saturday services, so I know they must be more conservative. Other than these communities I am not aware of any other temples in the Charlotte Metro region. Hopefully someone who knows more than I will respond to your question.
I am Jewish -- there is a Lubavitch preschool on Sardis. There are also services but I don't think a separate temple. They are more observant, in general, than some of us who attend the conservative temple. There are also going to be services held up by the Lake (Lake Norman) -- no temple yet but it might be coming Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 12,490 times
are there any 55 and older active adult communities around this location for us. we are also looking to get out of South Fl. We still have a place on Long Island. Would like a mixture of Jewish and non Jewish. Please email us at mswerthit@aol.com. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 AM

540 posts, read 1,697,787 times
Hi Halrms - I have recently escaped from South Florida to the Charlotte area.
You are correct in that the temple(s) (one reform and one conservative) and the JCC are on one campus.
In case you want to map it, the address is 5101 Providence Road in Charlotte.
We put up a drive time circle of 30 minutes to "shalom park" and wound up in Waxhaw, which is Union county and sports much lower taxes we also had to consider schools for our young'uns.

In your age bracket, you may want to consider Sun City in South Carolina. It's going to be like a Century Village was years ago....With all sorts of activities and whatnot, and not too far from the "J" - and the taxes will be much lower.

That's where my in-laws are looking....
Good luck to you...

Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 AM

37,732 posts, read 40,772,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halrms View Post
We are not very religious but a nearby temple would work out well. Any suggestions on areas near the Charlotte? We are planning a trip early 2007 to look, and buy a preconstruction home for completion in 2008. All replys would be greatly appreciated.......Thank you.
I know nobody ever thinks of doing this but if you want to know what's in a town before you move there, visit the online yellow pages at yellow.com where you can search up to 6 different directories. I selected WhitePages.com and entered "temple" in the search box, Charlotte and North Carolina in the respective city and state boxes and got 7 hits for temples and synagogues in Charlotte (names, addresses and website links if they have one).

I usually recommend doing this for things like grocery stores, restaurants, clothing stores but have used the online yellow pages for churches, hardware stores, schools, clothing stores and federal office buildings.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,279,808 times
Laura,
Thanks for that info, I was wondering where the temples were since both my husband and I are jewish wanted to know proximity to the temples..I have seen the posts on Shalom Park....We are reformed.....

Old 12-19-2006, 09:40 AM

84 posts, read 122,139 times
Default jewish in nc

Shalom Park is the place to start. Web address is charlottejcc.org
The people there can give you all the information you need. Temple Israel is the conservative congregation and Temple Beth El is the reformed. Both temples are on the Shalom Park campus.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,537 times
Default Looking to move to NC from LI too

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Temple Israel

You should definitely visit Shalom Park -- it is quite impressive. A big difference from the facility we were used to in Plainview NY. Let me know if I can help you -- we have been here since 1998.
How do you like it there? My husband and I are married 4 years and looking to move down there and are a little nervous about the relocation. How was it for you?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,002 times
We have been here since 1998 -- and for us, it was absolutely the best move. We had been considering the move since 1996 before we finally took the plunge. Honestly, after my first visit I thought, "Why don't more people know about this place?" Now it seems a lot more are figuring out the benefits. We moved basically for lifestyle reasons, and I can't imagine going back to NY. Feel free to email me or PM me if you have questions -- I can also help with your search for a home Best of luck to you.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
hi my partner and I are thinking of moving one day to north carolina and my partner is from Plainview also. can you contact me via gismony@optonline.net so we can talk further. we are concerned about jews there. thanks susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Temple Israel

You should definitely visit Shalom Park -- it is quite impressive. A big difference from the facility we were used to in Plainview NY. Let me know if I can help you -- we have been here since 1998.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,101,837 times
Thumbs up Yellow pages

Perperhaps this will help.
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...C/T-Charlotte/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte