Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:18 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,991,307 times

Advertisements

For those curious, UCPS has posted enrollment numbers for this school year (link below). I also provided a link to Webb's Magical McKibben 9Ball Forecast used to finalize the redistricting - it was of course finetuned to include all the grandfathering back in the Spring. Now we see how he did.

Biggest swing and miss easily was New Town ES which will need to be capped - unless our illustrious facilities committee can wave a magic wand and change capacity numbers. The largest joke in the entire proposal is still on Valhala / Bonds Grove section carved out to be sent across into Cuthbertson... as Ms. Savage completely ignored them and packed up to leave the vote, they're bused past her neighborhood to a capped Elementary. Meanwhile across the board Marvin Ridge is well under forecasts.

This should make for an interesting BOE meeting on the 8th. Time to save face.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/communicat...enrollment.pdf

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/Forecast052214.pdf

Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 AM

97 posts, read 129,182 times
We all now know we can't trust them, their numbers, their judgement or when they speak. Nothing they say, show or do has any meaning now. This disaster affected EVERY area and the entire county will continue to feel the negative effects for a long time to come.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 AM

527 posts, read 737,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
We all now know we can't trust them, their numbers, their judgement or when they speak. Nothing they say, show or do has any meaning now. This disaster affected EVERY area and the entire county will continue to feel the negative effects for a long time to come.
Well said.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 AM

110 posts, read 156,680 times
We moved our younger kids to private...and older is finishing out HS in UC. We didn't really move because of redistricting but more because of Common Core and our overall unhappiness that we felt w/ Public School over the past few years. That aside...a neighbor told me that at Sun Valley her daughter said they could barely walk through the hallways because it is dangerously crowded? Anyone else heard or experienced this. If this is true...what does next year bring with all of the new neighborhoods going up.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM

2,765 posts, read 5,130,504 times
What went on with redistricting could be best described by one word: incompetence...

Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM

2,765 posts, read 5,130,504 times
I wonder if anybody can do a check on affected neighborhoods - how many houses are for sale compared to previous year?

In mine there are 4 times as many compared to same time (summer to today) last year...and I know other neighbors that plan to list & move before the "grandfather clause" expire for grade 8th students by next school year...

Lots of parents now have to drive students so they can stay in same school (grade 8 and HS) which resulted in more traffic & danger (since many more HS students are forced to drive) and headaches...so I understand why so many plan to move from what were once very desirable neighborhoods...

Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,676,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
We moved our younger kids to private...and older is finishing out HS in UC. We didn't really move because of redistricting but more because of Common Core and our overall unhappiness that we felt w/ Public School over the past few years. That aside...a neighbor told me that at Sun Valley her daughter said they could barely walk through the hallways because it is dangerously crowded? Anyone else heard or experienced this. If this is true...what does next year bring with all of the new neighborhoods going up.
SVMS?

If its the middle school, that is greatly exaggerated I can assure you.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:48 AM

161 posts, read 193,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
SVMS?

If its the middle school, that is greatly exaggerated I can assure you.
No, it's Sun Valley High School. My kids said the same thing. My daughter said the halls feel much more crowded this year.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 AM

549 posts, read 672,991 times
Mikey-There are only two elementary schools in Cuthberston cluster.

Kensington and Newtown Combined Capacity=1608/6 grades=268 seats per grade
Cuthbertson Middle=1200/3 grades=400 seats per grade
Cuthberston High=1600/4 grades=400 seats per grade
Capacity of 3 Elementary Schools Would Be 2412/6 grades=402 seats per grade

Obviously, UCPS knows this and plans to move forward on the third elementary school. That can't happen with the wave of a wand. It will be crowded at both New Town and Kensington. Alternatively, it looks like there is some room in Waxhaw Elementary (which could be split) it appears from the numbers MikeyKid posted, but everyone wants to go to the elementary school closest to their house.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 10-03-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 AM

161 posts, read 193,321 times
[quote=BubbaHelms;36734145]Mikey-There are only two elementary schools in Cuthberston cluster.

Kensington and Newtown Combined Capacity=1608/6 grades=268 seats per grade
Cuthbertson Middle=1200/3 grades=400 seats per grade
Cuthberston High=1600/4 grades=400 seats per grade
Capacity of 3 Elementary Schools Would Be 2412/6 grades=402 seats per grade

This makes me furious. They don't need a new Cuthbertson Elementary School. They have over 1000 empty seats in the west side elementary schools. We don't have enough damn toilets at Sun Valley High School. Some of the boys bathrooms don't even have doors on the stalls. Fix our schools first. They should have put the Marvin kids in trailers, they would survive, might be good for them. Mine do just fine in trailers at Sun Valley. Stop wasting all this money bussing kids all over the county. Union Elementary doesn't have hot water? Did you know they have about 3 working toilets? Disgraceful. Greedy, and keep raising our taxes to pay for this. What a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte