Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 AM

76 posts, read 283,699 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recent experiences with the magnet schools in CMS? The more I look at commute times from UC, the more my husband wants to live in Meck County. The schools seem ok, but the magnet schools seem better - any chance of getting in? My daughter will be going into 3rd grade - seems like the older kids have a better chance. Looking at Cotswold, Myers Park Traditional, really like Chantilly Montessori and Park Road Montessori. Unfortunately we will not move in time to make the first lottery this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:43 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
There are plenty of great magnets and regular schools in CMS in all parts of the city. If you want to live in Meck, I would start looking at areas and then ask for feedback on the places you are considering.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
Anyone have any recent experiences with the magnet schools in CMS? The more I look at commute times from UC, the more my husband wants to live in Meck County. The schools seem ok, but the magnet schools seem better - any chance of getting in? My daughter will be going into 3rd grade - seems like the older kids have a better chance. Looking at Cotswold, Myers Park Traditional, really like Chantilly Montessori and Park Road Montessori. Unfortunately we will not move in time to make the first lottery this year

Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Myers Park, Cotswold, Elizabeth, Dilworth - and maybe even down into the Providence HS area (if he can deal with that commute). Price range is up to 450k. So I guess I'm looking for (non magnet) feedback on Selwyn Elementary, Cotswold Elementary, and Dilworth Elementary.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:18 AM

777 posts, read 2,566,862 times
We have a kid in Cotswold and love it there. You just need to be in the Blue transportation zone and enter the lottery. The "home school base" for Cotswold is VERY small. Most students there are magnet. Just be aware however if you don't get into the lottery, you have to go to your home school so be careful at where you look. The blue zone is HUGE.

If you do move into an area like Cotswold and that becomes your home school, you still have to lottery in the IB program if you want to continue onto Randolph middle. It is an IB only school and even kids who live next door to it have to already be in the IB program. No local kids unless they are officially in the IB program. Once you are in the IB program, you are in for life.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:46 PM

What if you have an IB kid and you don't lottery in to an IB school? Those kids are just out of luck?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:05 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,029 times
Elementary IB is not that special- the important years are in High School. This page lists the lottery results from last year so you can see what your chances are:
Lottery Results

Looks like the chances are pretty good for Lansdowne IB.

Not all magnets are good necessarily. Some neighborhood schools are better than some of the magnets. Many of the neighborhood schools in the southern part of the county are excellent. Beverly Woods, Olde Providence, Selwyn and many of the schools south of route 51 are good.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Yes, I checked out the lottery results thanks. But those are all for the first lottery - I guess we would be looking at the second. For an older kid it might be better. I also have a Pre K kid - he is probably out of luck

Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
We love our magnet school.

It's not IB or STEM though, it's the language school. The bad part about (most) of the magnets is the lottery... No guarantees

Old 10-04-2014, 07:58 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,029 times
The language school Waddell is excellent - my kids went there. But you have to start either K or grade 1. They don't accept after grade one unless you know the language already.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:37 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,581 times
Selwyn and Dilworth are two of the better elementary schools in CMS. Both have really involved parents/parent associations and we have friends who are very happy with both schools. Don't know a lot about Cotswold, but think it is an IB school.

As far as magnets, Park Road Montessori is extremely popular and hard to get into. My sense is that Myers Park Traditional and Elizabeth Traditional are both good and have similar curriculums, with Elizabeth being more intentional about socio-economic diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: