U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,433 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I'm currently living in NYC but i am thinking about moving to Charlotte after the holidays. I'm from Georgia and have visited Charlotte a couple of times, but I don't really know which areas are best for me to live.
I am a single 24 year old female and I am also a flight attendant, so I definitely need an area that is safe since I sometimes have leave for work or get back in from work at odd hours.
I would also still like to be close to some kind of nightlife, bars, restaurants, and shopping. I've been looking around Elizabeth, the South End, Dilworth, and the Fourth Ward but I would also love opinions on areas around the airport. Are they more rural and family focused, or are there young single people around there too?
Also, I am thinking about keeping my place in NY while I also rent in Charlotte, so I'd love something around $800 or less, but I know that is stretching it a little haha!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM

51 posts, read 51,007 times
No to around the airport, it's rough areas. You could look @ the steele creek area, there are things to do there. $800 or less will be tough here now, typical rent is around $900 starting out.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:38 AM

363 posts, read 367,234 times
I'm a 27 year old male so maybe I can relate.. I personally live Uptown and really enjoy it, and id say SouthEnd would be the next best. However, you will need a roommate to make that a reality.. Uptown rent is around 1500 as a starting point, SouthEnd is a bit cheaper.. I think I've seen some for maybe 1100 there. I honestly can say I don't think any other area would be on par with those two as a 24 year old female. I formerly lived in NY so I can say every other area gets way to suburbia.. Dilworth is nice, but you lose walkability, same with Elizabeth.

These are my personal opinions, anyone is free to critique!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 AM

22,026 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRCharlotte View Post
Hi guys!

I'm currently living in NYC but i am thinking about moving to Charlotte after the holidays. I'm from Georgia and have visited Charlotte a couple of times, but I don't really know which areas are best for me to live.
I am a single 24 year old female and I am also a flight attendant, so I definitely need an area that is safe since I sometimes have leave for work or get back in from work at odd hours.
I would also still like to be close to some kind of nightlife, bars, restaurants, and shopping. I've been looking around Elizabeth, the South End, Dilworth, and the Fourth Ward but I would also love opinions on areas around the airport. Are they more rural and family focused, or are there young single people around there too?
Also, I am thinking about keeping my place in NY while I also rent in Charlotte, so I'd love something around $800 or less, but I know that is stretching it a little haha!

Thanks!!
If you go west into Gaston County $800 is no problem. SE Gastonia has the majority of apartments. there are several bars in downtown Gastonia & a place called Tavern 24 that is usually mobbed with young people. I think that there are a couple of places in downtown Belmont.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:25 AM

31 posts, read 29,170 times
Moving from NYC to Charlotte right now - I live in midtown in NYC, and now have a place here in Charlotte in Myers Park. You'll really enjoy it here - but you need to confine your search to Uptown or South End - everything else is very suburban.

Hope to see you at the airport - best of luck in your move.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 3,658 times
I would consider moving to Gastonia... it's a big small town adn close to all that Charlotte offers. You could uy at Rosegate- right off Union Road and Gaston Day School Road.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:13 PM

983 posts, read 2,180,114 times
OP, Really depends on what you are looking for.. South Charlotte is very nice and you can find a small 1 BD for less than $1000, North Charlotte around North Lake Mall is nice area too. Huntersville, Cornelius, Concord, and even Davidson are nice places to live and commute to the airport. Come visit and check out different parts and see what you like.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM

22,026 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelover453 View Post
I would consider moving to Gastonia... it's a big small town adn close to all that Charlotte offers. You could uy at Rosegate- right off Union Road and Gaston Day School Road.
The OP is looking for a rental.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 PM

140 posts, read 137,567 times
Anywhere near the 277 loop will be a quick drive or ride to any nightlife. However if you are looking for walkable areas or something more urban feeling, you will be limited to uptown, perhaps southend. NoDa and Plaza Midwood are also good spots for bars and restaurants.

Shopping is often confined to the suburban malls, with a few small boutiques within neighborhoods.

As for renting/leasing, sometimes there are studios uptown for 900 or 1k. Otherwise, yes, a room mate would help bring the price down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte