U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM

14 posts, read 31,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vammo View Post
I was on a thread about Matthews vs. Charlotte in terms of safety and a recent relo to the area claimed that Matthews was high crime because of a recent incident. A few other posters responded with recent reports of crime in area (which they had considered safe).

Now, in Mint Hill, at the Brighton Park/Lowe's Food there was a fatal shooting at Rookies...a place that up to this point I had considered family oriented. We regularly have dinner at Mama's (in the same strip mall) with the baby and grandparents. Local merchants that I asked were split on the reason for the shooting. Some said money owed, some said drugs.

Now I'm no idiot. Drugs are everywhere. I taught in some of the toughest public schools for 7 years and it didn't matter the age, location, or SES (social economic status). But lately it seems that the borders between good and bad neighborhoods are blurring and crime seems as pervasive as ever.

Am I alone in feeling this?
You are not alone. Just had this conversation last night after hearing about the 6th murder this week. We moved here from NYC. I said, the criminals here are more blatant...as if they do not care. I do not believe in the "good" neighborhood. Crime is everywhere, it is just covered better in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:34 PM

14 posts, read 31,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I dont know if I agree on this one..I do agree with the original poster..dh and I have been discussing the home break-ins in this area and how awful and frequent they are becoming. The shooting in a home robbery last week in providence country club estates is right down the block from us, the homeowner was shot. Way to close to home for us. another development right near me has had 4 attempted home break-ins and 1 while the lady was upstairs taking a shower and she came out and heard a noise the would be robbers must have gotten nervous and ran out of the house. My dh is on the neighborhood watch, so we get alot of info from the Union County Sherriffs dept and its a bit alarming.

Ive lived in quiet a few different states and places but this has to be the worst of them all, because its private property let alone your home.
I work in Meyers Park and our business has been burgalarized twice in one month. From what I know Meyers park has had a series of home robberies and a shooting lately.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy5k View Post
I work in Meyers Park and our business has been burgalarized twice in one month. From what I know Meyers park has had a series of home robberies and a shooting lately.
Just don't forget, that shooting in Myers Park was DOMESTIC - not random. It only happened there because a scum bag wife abuser followed his wife to the area where she worked to kill her. Fortunately, the co-worker she was with was not harmed. VIOLENT CRIME IN CHARLOTTE IS ALMOST ALWAYS RELATED TO DOMESTIC ABUSE OR DRUG TRANSACTIONS GONE BAD.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:49 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,755,673 times
Indy im from brooklyn...lived in NJ for 10 years was always very safe...However although the crime has gotten out of control we do love it here...its just concerning that is all...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,956 times
Make that now 8 murders in 6-7 days.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Make that now 8 murders in 6-7 days.
Sadly, tis the season...

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 AM

51 posts, read 147,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sadly, tis the season...
Tis the season for murder? Now that right there is an idiotic statement. That happen every 'season' in Charlotte?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post
Tis the season for murder? Now that right there is an idiotic statement. That happen every 'season' in Charlotte?
It isn't an idiotic statement and you took it out of context. Every year at this time, every major news market counts down every horrible crime including murder and compares those numbers to last year. The media continues this maybe through mid January, then you rarely hear about comparisons to previous years crime stats.

So yes it's the time of year in which panic and mayhem are trumped up as the media awaits to squeeze as much bad news in before 12/31/07 11:59 PM

Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,272,913 times
Quote:
Tis the season for murder

Didn't David Caruso open an episode of CSI: Miami with that line? If not he should have.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 AM

674 posts, read 604,253 times
Quote:
NOT idiotic. I know people who have police scanners in their homes and listen to the barrage of domestic incidents come across the scanners Dec 20-31. It increases ten-fold during the "season of peace."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte