Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 AM

12 posts, read 29,805 times

Advertisements

NC Girl - thanks for the correction - I could have sworn it was Just Fresh! Must be having a senior moment! =)

I've only been here for about a year and a half, and I come from Fitchburg, MA, which is drug/crime mecca (and, I believe, an illegal immigrant safe harbor), so everything has to be in perspective. But I do believe that crime is on the rise. I know a girl who moved here from Wisconsin and was held at knifepoint. Don't know the details, as (I'm sure you can imagine) she doesn't really like to talk about it.

However, I think Charlotte's crime should be compared with everywhere else to see where it comes on the list. Also, I believe there are certain areas of Charlotte where the majority of the crime happens.

The property crime rate that I posted last time was scary to me and made me wonder if I really wanted to stay too...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynniepoo87 View Post
NC Girl - thanks for the correction - I could have sworn it was Just Fresh! Must be having a senior moment! =)

I've only been here for about a year and a half, and I come from Fitchburg, MA, which is drug/crime mecca (and, I believe, an illegal immigrant safe harbor), so everything has to be in perspective. But I do believe that crime is on the rise. I know a girl who moved here from Wisconsin and was held at knifepoint. Don't know the details, as (I'm sure you can imagine) she doesn't really like to talk about it.

However, I think Charlotte's crime should be compared with everywhere else to see where it comes on the list. Also, I believe there are certain areas of Charlotte where the majority of the crime happens.

The property crime rate that I posted last time was scary to me and made me wonder if I really wanted to stay too...

Good luck!
Where was the location of the knife incident?
Also, where are the certain areas of Charlotte where the majority of crimes are happening?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 AM

102 posts, read 119,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I hear ya slowlazygc As I said in another thread.

I have a few questions for you -please don't take offense. How much time did you spend researching the complex/area you live in? Did you visit it at various times of the day or night? Did you ask the management about the area? Did you look at CMPD's crime map to see what has happened in the past?
The apartment people by law are not supposed to say about the crime rate on the property, i researched in CMPD, some small blue dots and big dots. the big dots were in mostly small shopping areas. I looked at 20 different complexes, before narrowing down to the gated one i am in. I spend 750 for a single bed. All i wanted was safety and close to work as i felt the only area i like in charlotte is the ballantyne and it would take her a good 1.5 to get here in traffic. My choices were few. Though in the gated ones, it is a little better. There are complexes right next to this, where we have friends now and who atleast let us know one or two breakin's/door cuts or armed robbery. This is a scary thought and getting into gated areas is not that bad either, they can follow the car and get in. I do my best in making sure no one enters behind me. But the thought of constantly looking around and waking up for every small noise makes it worse. And that was my complaint. If you dont hear it from the neighbours around, i consider it safe... but most of them talk about a incedent there or here. Then you dont know what to do.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
Where do I begin searching.... which zip codes, which apartment complexes, which neighborhoods are ranked higher for safety and security?
Can anyone be more specific?
You can't really go by zip codes because they are very big here, covering several areas of town. If you search this board you will see several threads discussing the safer areas of Charlotte.

A good resource is CMPD.org. They have a crime mapping system (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Mapping.htm - broken link) where you can put in your address and it will show you the reported crimes that have occurred in that area.

My .2¢ on crime - Crime here isn't new. However, according to CMPD stats, most crime is going down or holding steady. Charlotte isn't a small town. This is a large city with two major interstates running through it.

The crime rate factor is something everyone must evaluate; It may be a deal breaker for some and not for others. Newcomers - do your research, visit the area, talk to people who live in your potential neighborhood and then decide. If you have a job here and living in Charlotte proper isn't for you, there are many wonderful towns nearby.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
Well, this is a pretty scary and upsetting thread...
Is crime really that bad in and around Charlotte? I never expected to read so much about home break-ins anywhere in Charlotte, and reading about home break-ins is the most upsetting of all. I know there is domestic violence and drug crime everywhere, but, robbers kicking in doors and cutting out doorknobs to gain entry is scary as heck!
Where do newcomers (like me) even begin to search for a safe/secure place to live? I can't imagine not feeling safe in my own home, whether it be an apartment complex or actual house.
Where do I begin searching.... which zip codes, which apartment complexes, which neighborhoods are ranked higher for safety and security?
Can anyone be more specific? Schools are not a consideration, neither is budget. I just want to know the safest, most secure area to live.
I am so excited about my upcoming move to Charlotte this month, and this crime thread is upsetting me to no end.
Any help in directing me to the safest areas will be so much appreciated.
And if no one feels comfortable posting their suggestions on the board please e-mail or send personal messages to me.
I'm leaning toward Birkdale Village, Ballantyne, Huntersville, South Park, Dilworth...or any other suggested places by you fine folks. My work location is South Tryon Street.
Sincerely,
Maddie Claire
P.S. Is there a shortage of police, or just too many criminals to handle?
All those places you listed are fine. Here's what I would suggest to ease your fears- get a RE agent such as Allen Tate that does apartment placements. They can guide you more appropriately than trying to do it yourself in a new area, and integrating a lot of information from this forum (some being on the money while others are sensational).

Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
You can't really go by zip codes because they are very big here, covering several areas of town. If you search this board you will see several threads discussing the safer areas of Charlotte.

A good resource is CMPD.org. They have a crime mapping system (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Mapping.htm - broken link) where you can put in your address and it will show you the reported crimes that have occurred in that area.

My .2¢ on crime - Crime here isn't new. However, according to CMPD stats, most crime is going down or holding steady. Charlotte isn't a small town. This is a large city with two major interstates running through it.

The crime rate factor is something everyone must evaluate; It may be a deal breaker for some and not for others. Newcomers - do your research, visit the area, talk to people who live in your potential neighborhood and then decide. If you have a job here and living in Charlotte proper isn't for you, there are many wonderful towns nearby.
Thank you NCGirl.
I'm moving from Denver Colorado, home to 4.86 million people, and I have never ever felt unsafe in my neighborhood or anyplace in the city of Denver.
I thought Charlotte would be the same.

I appreciate your help and your time in responding, also for the link.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Default A million thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
All those places you listed are fine. Here's what I would suggest to ease your fears- get a RE agent such as Allen Tate that does apartment placements. They can guide you more appropriately than trying to do it yourself in a new area, and integrating a lot of information from this forum (some being on the money while others are sensational).
Thank you!!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 AM

How safe is it to ride the new Lynx Light Rail in Charlotte??
Any crime problems reported yet?
Many thanks,
Maddie Claire

Old 01-01-2008, 10:27 AM

36 posts, read 228,120 times
Geez, what a way to start the New Year - sent hubby to get bagels this am at Noah's on South Blvd. They were closed because someone robbed them this morning.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves Saddlebreds View Post
Geez, what a way to start the New Year - sent hubby to get bagels this am at Noah's on South Blvd. They were closed because someone robbed them this morning.
Guess it wasn't anywhere near the first homicide of 2008, was it?

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/427692.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte