U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 PM

28 posts, read 58,770 times

Advertisements

I was on a thread about Matthews vs. Charlotte in terms of safety and a recent relo to the area claimed that Matthews was high crime because of a recent incident. A few other posters responded with recent reports of crime in area (which they had considered safe).

Now, in Mint Hill, at the Brighton Park/Lowe's Food there was a fatal shooting at Rookies...a place that up to this point I had considered family oriented. We regularly have dinner at Mama's (in the same strip mall) with the baby and grandparents. Local merchants that I asked were split on the reason for the shooting. Some said money owed, some said drugs.

Now I'm no idiot. Drugs are everywhere. I taught in some of the toughest public schools for 7 years and it didn't matter the age, location, or SES (social economic status). But lately it seems that the borders between good and bad neighborhoods are blurring and crime seems as pervasive as ever.

Am I alone in feeling this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,773,047 times
This as been debated a lot and I don't know the correct answer. According to CMPD (http://charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Statistics/Home.htm - broken link) violent crimes have decreased and property crimes have increased.

The experts say most crime is either domestic or drug related. I think that because the media (rightfully) covers the major crimes in the region, you can get overwhelmed by crime reports. For example - the murders at that Statesville gas station and shooting of a Lancaster county SC grandmother (by her grandson). These shootings happened some 80 miles apart but because they are part of the metro area they were covered by the Charlotte media.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
This as been debated a lot and I don't know the correct answer. According to CMPD (http://charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Statistics/Home.htm - broken link) violent crimes have decreased and property crimes have increased.

The experts say most crime is either domestic or drug related. I think that because the media (rightfully) covers the major crimes in the region, you can get overwhelmed by crime reports. For example - the murders at that Statesville gas station and shooting of a Lancaster county SC grandmother (by her grandson). These shootings happened some 80 miles apart but because they are part of the metro area they were covered by the Charlotte media.
Excellent post NCgirl

In regards to violent crime...Some people new to our area do not realize that local media covers not just Charlotte and Mecklenburg county - but news from up to at least 9 of our surrounding counties! When a new resident in south Charlotte hears about a murder in Statesville I bet they do not fully understand just how far from Statesville they really are - yet now their perception of crime being high has been falsely inflated.

I have said this before, most violent crime in Charlotte and NC is either drug-related or domestic. Don't hang with druggies and mentally unstable people and you will be pretty safe.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vammo View Post
I was on a thread about Matthews vs. Charlotte in terms of safety and a recent relo to the area claimed that Matthews was high crime because of a recent incident. A few other posters responded with recent reports of crime in area (which they had considered safe).

Now, in Mint Hill, at the Brighton Park/Lowe's Food there was a fatal shooting at Rookies...a place that up to this point I had considered family oriented. We regularly have dinner at Mama's (in the same strip mall) with the baby and grandparents. Local merchants that I asked were split on the reason for the shooting. Some said money owed, some said drugs.

Now I'm no idiot. Drugs are everywhere. I taught in some of the toughest public schools for 7 years and it didn't matter the age, location, or SES (social economic status). But lately it seems that the borders between good and bad neighborhoods are blurring and crime seems as pervasive as ever.

Am I alone in feeling this?
Vammo, I can understand your concern. Unfortunately, social problems and crime pretty much go hand in hand, and each are more prevalent now than ever before.

However, I believe Mint Hill (and Matthews) are still very safe places. That shooting at Rookies happened during a PRIVATE party - which means it was most likely a domestic and/or drug related event - not something you would personally have to feel endangered by.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM

7,175 posts, read 12,311,162 times
I dont know if I agree on this one..I do agree with the original poster..dh and I have been discussing the home break-ins in this area and how awful and frequent they are becoming. The shooting in a home robbery last week in providence country club estates is right down the block from us, the homeowner was shot. Way to close to home for us. another development right near me has had 4 attempted home break-ins and 1 while the lady was upstairs taking a shower and she came out and heard a noise the would be robbers must have gotten nervous and ran out of the house. My dh is on the neighborhood watch, so we get alot of info from the Union County Sherriffs dept and its a bit alarming.

Ive lived in quiet a few different states and places but this has to be the worst of them all, because its private property let alone your home.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM

102 posts, read 11,492 times
my wife has been here for 2 months and i joined last week in charlotte, The apartment complex she lived in off harris blvd, had 10 - 12 breakin's in the time she was there. They did not have one in there apartment, but that is the rate at which crime is here. And in 10 yrs i lived in colorado, i knew of one friend whose house was attacked when they were away for a month or so.

wondering about safety for sure. but if you have a security system.. is it still happening ?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlazygc View Post
my wife has been here for 2 months and i joined last week in charlotte, The apartment complex she lived in off harris blvd, had 10 - 12 breakin's in the time she was there. They did not have one in there apartment, but that is the rate at which crime is here. And in 10 yrs i lived in colorado, i knew of one friend whose house was attacked when they were away for a month or so.

wondering about safety for sure. but if you have a security system.. is it still happening ?
Another reason to be careful where you choose to live around Harris Blvd. I would consider a change in location, though apartments in general, especially large complexes, are frequently targeted by criminals.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 20 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,370 posts, read 4,681,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Vammo, I can understand your concern. Unfortunately, social problems and crime pretty much go hand in hand, and each are more prevalent now than ever before.

However, I believe Mint Hill (and Matthews) are still very safe places. That shooting at Rookies happened during a PRIVATE party - which means it was most likely a domestic and/or drug related event - not something you would personally have to feel endangered by.
This is a very true statement by Loves. It can't get any more clear than this. There is always the potential for any crime to occur in any neighborhood, even gated communities. Criminals will not respect an invisible border that separates a good area vs. a bad area.

I don't think there are any lines to be blurred as crimes can occur anywhere- we live in an open society. The best thing to do is to be personally and community proactive in crime prevention.

So the question is crime on the rise, yes, but so is the population of Charlotte. However that doesn't mean you can't be safe and feel safe.

I live less than 10 minutes from the near kidnapping that occurred at the entries of Providence Country Clubs, and, it was absolutely awful to hear that. However I have the same reaction for *any* violent crime that occurs *anywhere* to *anyone*.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 PM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times
Well, with increase of population, which Charlotte and areas around it are definitely experiencing, crime will also increase. Some people just can not afford to live in a "more" safer area, while other can afford to live in a "safe/safer" area. Some people go drive further to get to work, but they know they have to do that in order to stay living in the "safe/safer" area they are in. There are areas of Charlotte, that my wife and I sure wouldn't go into at night (in the dark).
People are constantly looking for safe cities/areas to live in across the U.S., but that is getting to be harder and harder to find due to the population explosions that are happening.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,742,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I dont know if I agree on this one..I do agree with the original poster..dh and I have been discussing the home break-ins in this area and how awful and frequent they are becoming. The shooting in a home robbery last week in providence country club estates is right down the block from us, the homeowner was shot. Way to close to home for us. another development right near me has had 4 attempted home break-ins and 1 while the lady was upstairs taking a shower and she came out and heard a noise the would be robbers must have gotten nervous and ran out of the house. My dh is on the neighborhood watch, so we get alot of info from the Union County Sherriffs dept and its a bit alarming.

Ive lived in quiet a few different states and places but this has to be the worst of them all, because its private property let alone your home.
Wow...ncmomof...I mean berryjuice...saying that North Carolina has to be the worst of them all. The North Carolina Cheerleader saying that it has to be the worst of them all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte