U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times

Advertisements

Seems they have decided to fast track the North Corridor so they can get federal funding. Projected Start on the North end is 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 AM

474 posts, read 1,594,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Seems they have decided to fast track the North Corridor so they can get federal funding. Projected Start on the North end is 2009.
CA, I'm not holding my breath on seeing the North line getting built anytime soon. It lacks the projected ridership numbers to get the federal $'s, which are necessary to build the line. Without federal $, the cost would fall to the local municipalities and private developers, who I can't see making up the shortage (I believe it's in the range of $100 million). The University line has the ridership numbers, but the cost to build it is almost triple that of the North line ($740 million versuse $261 million). The MTC voted to move ahead with both lines, but to be honest with you, I think they included the North line because the Mayors of Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson sit on the MTC and their votes were needed to move ahead on the University line.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
Not holding my breath either. Just updating the thread What really would drive up the amount of riders is going to be the times it runs. If it would run so people could go uptown/downtown to have a few drinks Late basketball games etc and be able to ride it back. Otherwise you will need a car anywho so then it becomes whats the point.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 11,968 times
Default Light Rail Bad Idea For Charlotte

No. As the system is planned now, light rail is a bad idea for Charlotte. I was raised here in Charlotte, lived here since 1979, yet also travel, and lived in many cities throughout the world in a 11 year career as a professional basketball player.

Many local officials do not understand the limitations that light rail will have for Charlotte, yet they are almost totally ignoring roads, and about to spend a total of $8.9 billion, out of $12 billion for all money devoted to transportation here in the Charlotte region, on light rail. That's 75% of all transportation money to be spent on something that will affect 2-3% of all Charlotte area travel.

Our population density is far too low, and will not increase much over the next several decades due to zoning laws, and lack of available land. Most cities, including Charlotte, take additional growth at the city periphery.

In addition, big corporations, such as Wachovia see this as a boondoggle and stand to make tons of money as we subsidize development along the very narrow rail corridors, using your sales tax dollars.

Interested in my experiences in cities throughout the world that have light rail or some other form of urban area rail transit?

Visit: toddfullerdata.blogspot.com

Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 AM

55 posts, read 200,472 times
Even though he's an NCSU guy instead of a Tar Heel, I agree with Todd :-).

The South Blvd. light rail line is going to have a cost of nearly $800 PER INCH, and so few people are going to utilize it that it's not going to do anything for traffic congestion (in fact it will worsen traffic as cars are choked off at train crossings). Unless you live in one of those ridiculously-overpriced townhomes within a block of the LR line you'd have to drive to the station anyway, and then you're still going to have to drive to do normal everyday things like picking up the kids or going to the store/doctor/salon.

This has been a total scam from the start. Consider:

- The so-called "voter approved" referendum in 1998 was NON-BINDING.

- The cost sold to the public was $225 million, even though McCrory and the rest of the government criminals knew it would be MUCH MUCH MORE.

- CATS chief Ron Tober has been a disaster everywhere he's worked, from Cleveland to the West Coast.

- The folks Tober and McCrory hired to run the project were responsible for Boston's Big Dig and were under multiple federal investigations. Tober, McCrory and the rest of the MTC criminals hired them anyway.

- The South Blvd. line qualified for federal funding (which of course comes out of your pocket and mine anyway) only because they lied about the ridership projections.

- When the feds strengthened ridership projection guidelines, Tober, McCrory and the rest of the government criminals had to admit that the other proposed corridors DO NOT MEET THEM.

- The main proponents of this are the Charlotte Chamber, led by Bob Morgan who was a cheerleader for the failed arena vote in 2001, and the Ken Dolls (Lewis and Thompson) whose banks will pocket millions in underwriting and interest at taxpayer expense.

- The light rail is designed as a "spoke-and-hub" system with uptown as its core, even though LESS THAN 20% of Charlotte even WORKS uptown. Light rail lines are 100% INflexible, unlike bus lines which can be adjusted as populations shift. Of course when these shifts take place, CATS will just propose MORE rail lines and MORE bus lines and MORE hundreds of millions of dollars.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
Even though he's an NCSU guy instead of a Tar Heel, I agree with Todd :-).
I bleed blue and went to NCSU.

Quote:
Unless you live in one of those ridiculously-overpriced townhomes within a block of the LR line you'd have to drive to the station anyway, and then you're still going to have to drive to do normal everyday things like picking up the kids or going to the store/doctor/salon.

- The light rail is designed as a "spoke-and-hub" system with uptown as its core, even though LESS THAN 20% of Charlotte even WORKS uptown. Light rail lines are 100% INflexible, unlike bus lines which can be adjusted as populations shift. Of course when these shifts take place, CATS will just propose MORE rail lines and MORE bus lines and MORE hundreds of millions of dollars.
These statements are central as to why the rail line will not work. I think it will get used more for entertainment purposes (like me living in LKN wanting to go out downtown) than it will be alleviating traffic, which is the supposed purpose.

Not to mention, all the low life thugs will surely make their way up north where crime will be decentralized and become more of an issue for us up north. Good thing we'll have our CCWs by then.

Light rail works for places like DC because of exactly what was mention by Todd, population density is higher. Charlotte is too spread out and again, a minority of the population works downtown. You will still have to drive everywhere else to run your errands.

I can't wait for the mayor primaries. It will be Charlotte's first chance in a long time to change who wears the Queen City Crown.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 AM

550 posts, read 1,616,903 times
It's not easy to find a taxi downtown once you get off the rail - maybe that will change once it opens

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Default Sounds to me like this guy has problems...

Someone filing this many lawsuits, which a judge says shows an intent to harrass, sounds like he has problems.

I have always questioned this guys motives about repealing the transit tax - now I see he really is just a troublemaker.

Charlotte.com : Charlotte news, events, Panthers, Bobcats, jobs, cars, homes (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/213252.html - broken link)

Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I bleed blue and went to NCSU.

These statements are central as to why the rail line will not work. I think it will get used more for entertainment purposes (like me living in LKN wanting to go out downtown) than it will be alleviating traffic, which is the supposed purpose.

Not to mention, all the low life thugs will surely make their way up north where crime will be decentralized and become more of an issue for us up north. Good thing we'll have our CCWs by then.

Light rail works for places like DC because of exactly what was mention by Todd, population density is higher. Charlotte is too spread out and again, a minority of the population works downtown. You will still have to drive everywhere else to run your errands.

I can't wait for the mayor primaries. It will be Charlotte's first chance in a long time to change who wears the Queen City Crown.
It seems to me like the city of Charlotte can't seem to do anything right according to some of you. Here they are being proactive, laying the foundation for future growth and transportation needs and you guys blast them for it. However, when it comes to school issues and there not being enough of them, all I hear from people like you is, "why didn't they plan better, now we don't have enough schools".

My point is, you have to think more long term than you are. The light rail may not be everything everyone would like for it to be right away, but in 20 years people will be looking back and saying, "Good thing someone has the foresight to realize we needed this thing now, 20 years ago."

Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It seems to me like the city of Charlotte can't seem to do anything right according to some of you. Here they are being proactive, laying the foundation for future growth and transportation needs and you guys blast them for it. However, when it comes to school issues and there not being enough of them, all I hear from people like you is, "why didn't they plan better, now we don't have enough schools".

My point is, you have to think more long term than you are. The light rail may not be everything everyone would like for it to be right away, but in 20 years people will be looking back and saying, "Good thing someone has the foresight to realize we needed this thing now, 20 years ago."
Much of my qualms regarding City Gov is that they are poor stewards of taxpayer money and their priorities are not always where they should be.

IMO, it would have made more sense to widen I77 from Huntersville to Mooresville in both directions. Again, how many people in these areas work downtown? I know I don't. Do you not consider this a fair argument?

Don't you think it would have made more sense to put this money to the completion of 485? And please don't tell me they couldn't because of allocation or because of external funding. There is no law stating city money can't go towards beltways.

What about widening 485 from I77 to Highway 51? Please tell me how light rail is going to alleviate that traffic?

Yes, light rail is a good idea in some aspects, but it's not for Charlotte NOW. We need a quick fix NOW. Then we can worry about 20 years down the road. Transplants are only gonna keep pouring into Charlotte, and the only way to fix that is to fix the road situation. I laugh when people tell me the buses are full. HA! I NEVER see a CATS bus HALF full on the outskirts of town.

And about the school system. The biggest problem I have with CMS is the crime they let go on without hardly any repercussions. Take this for example:
Quote:
Seen as a last resort by many, and actually administered to none, the fifth-tier punishment could be up to and including having a student kicked out of school altogether, i.e. expelled. CMS, however, hasn't actually expelled a student in recent memory, although the school board is set later this month to review expulsion cases for eight students. Welcome to Rhinotimes.com Charlotte
Is that not laughable? It sure would be if it wasn't true. CMS ALLOWS crime to go in the schools. What's to deter the thugs from attacking a teacher? Suspension? It should be ONE STRIKE AND YOUR OUT! for attacking ANYBODY! There is no room for this at the learning place. This is still all part of the Hug-A-Thug program. I know you don't like me sounding off one of my favorite talk show hosts, but that is indeed what is happening: slapping thug lifes on the wrist, and welcoming them back with open arms after vacation, er, suspension.

Now please tell me how my arguments are hollow? Why I don't have a vision? I think I am actually talking reality here and not living in some happy-go-lucky dream and singing cume bye ya waiting for everything to just fix itself. I am trying to be proactive by standing up against the powers that be, which some of you blindly stand by without raising questions.

I will not idly stand by and be a yeah-saying puppet on a string when serious changes must take effect with the CMS system or with how GovCo waists MY money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte