Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to dine out. Same goes with bars.
It's not about being able to afford something or not, it's about not rewarding poor service with additional money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:25 PM

102 posts, read 111,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
How about businesses pay their servers a livable wage like other countries and we do away with all this tipping nonsense.
I can see how this may be desirable to some people as it allows for a more consistent paycheck, but many people, especially delivery drivers make a killing off of tips. I know some people live in areas or work in restaurants that have very little business. I propose a system that requires a minimum hourly average, for example, if a waiter works for 8 hours and brings in less than 80 bucks (I'm making it easy going with an average of 10 bucks an hour) including tips, then the establishment must compensate the difference, if the waiter makes anything over 80 bucks an hour, there's no obligation to compensate and the establishment cannot take away the tip money (except a percentage to distribute among non servers, not management)as long as they don't go below the 80 bucks an hour, this will ensure that employees in small towns or low traffic restaurants can at least make a decent wage while still maintaining a "tipping culture" so that those who work in higher traffic areas can make more money off of tips, preventing the establishment from having to raise food prices to compensate for higher salary/hourly rate.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
If the service is good 20%, if it is great >20%, if it is bad <20%. If the service is bad, I do not ask why or really care why, it was simply bad, a poor tip and never returning is in store. Just as a server does not care if I'm having a bad day I do not care if they are. When I enter a restaurant I expect good service no matter what, and the tip will reflect it.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I'm generally a 20% tipper but my one pet peeve is getting carded at a business dinner. In those cases I only tip 10% and leave a note to the server why they got stiffed.
It's not the server's fault that management makes them card everyone.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times
You can learn a lot about someone by how they treat servers or "service type" workers...

So all you folks who are single and going out to eat on dates, be sure to note how your suitor deals with those waiters! Are they kind? Are they demanding and hard to please? Take heed!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
If you get bad service, don't take it out on the server. Have a quite sidebar with the manager to get at the root of the problem. Yes, the problem might be the server, but until the details are sorted out, give the benefit of a doubt.
Bad service usually you KNOW for 100% CERTAINTY if the service is caused by something in the service itself or the kitchen staff or someone else not in the service.

Bad service is not trying like bringing you out the completely wrong food. That's not trying. The only way it would be trying is if another server brings out the food, but the order was put in wrong by the original server.

You take it out on the service itself like WHAT PEOPLE WERE AT YOUR TABLE that caused you to get bad service. I have had another waiter be rude that wasn't our waiter saying "You'd have to have ordered it with your meal" when I had NICELY told him I had ordered 3 sides of tartar sauce. Now our waiter was absolutely horrible to where our entire meal(me and my husband's meal got comped). Still to say, I would have left no more than like 8%-9% all due to the rude, lazy waiter we had that brought us our food. I may have stiffed the more I think about it just for having someone RUDE and LAZY say that to me even if it wasn't my server, because that other waiter should have had a tip share of some sort, when most of the time it's just other servers running each other's food with no tip for the server to run the food. Even if I didn't order it, I can ask for 100 condiments if I want to at the time of my food coming or anything(drinks, etc.). I can order as much as I want to. That other server was a jerk. I truly DID order 3 sides of tartar sauce that the waiter wasn't even willing to write that part down and probably didn't put it into the computer.

So yeah, bad service is most of the time a service issue, not something else. As far as what you said about sorting details, it's COMMON SENSE WHO messed up in most cases such as if your own server brings you fries, but you ordered onion rings, gee, it's your server's fault because they aren't BLIND or ILLITERATE they couldn't have verified the written order with the food BEFORE they left the kitchen. Bad service is also when servers don't apologize for huge mistakes and then even blaming others instead of accepting fault when fault is due to them.

I only give a benefit of the doubt to servers that truly TRY their best that aren't lazy and are NICE & POLITE. The ones that are lazy that didn't want to write my order down then got it wrong I can't feel sorry for the lazy, sorry, but I can't. As a server, you are there to do WORK, NOT to not work for your tip.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 PM

393 posts, read 306,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post
not everything is within their control.
Most things are though in general.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:28 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Obviously, you have never waited tables based on your remarks. Stereotyping- you better believe it buddy! It's this simple...there is one group of people that do not tip. Don't believe me, ask any server or bartender. Sorry it's stereotyping, but it's the damn truth - and it's Unfortunate!!! You would have to fire every server and bartender today. Ask any server.

To those on here that get bad service all the time, you are going to really crappy places to dine.
Most franchises and better establishments will not maintain poor service standards. The
business will die with bad service.

Who would be satisfied with a job paying $2 and hour? Nobody! If you work to perform great service they can make $50 an hour. This is the incentive for delivering great service. If all servers made the same amount, then why would anyone of them perform more?

To those that complain about your food or drink....when it goes back or it gets redone, beware!

Bottom line, if you can't tip or don't want to, go to McDonald's.
I didn't read anyone here saying they got bad service all the time.

This isn't rocket science. If you give good service, you should get a good tip. If you give bad service, you should get a bad tip.

It seems that some of the servers here have an entitlement mentality that says they deserve a great tip even if they give mediocre service. The implication on sending food back is that something is done to it. That also speaks to the mentality of the staff. Tampering with someone's food is not only sick, it's criminal.

Bottom line, if you don't like getting bad tips for bad service, upgrade your skills and get a better job. No one is forcing you to work there.

Last edited by Mike930; 10-20-2014 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 06:10 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Bad service usually you KNOW for 100% CERTAINTY if the service is caused by something in the service itself or the kitchen staff or someone else not in the service.

Bad service is not trying like bringing you out the completely wrong food. That's not trying. The only way it would be trying is if another server brings out the food, but the order was put in wrong by the original server.

You take it out on the service itself like WHAT PEOPLE WERE AT YOUR TABLE that caused you to get bad service. I have had another waiter be rude that wasn't our waiter saying "You'd have to have ordered it with your meal" when I had NICELY told him I had ordered 3 sides of tartar sauce. Now our waiter was absolutely horrible to where our entire meal(me and my husband's meal got comped). Still to say, I would have left no more than like 8%-9% all due to the rude, lazy waiter we had that brought us our food. I may have stiffed the more I think about it just for having someone RUDE and LAZY say that to me even if it wasn't my server, because that other waiter should have had a tip share of some sort, when most of the time it's just other servers running each other's food with no tip for the server to run the food. Even if I didn't order it, I can ask for 100 condiments if I want to at the time of my food coming or anything(drinks, etc.). I can order as much as I want to. That other server was a jerk. I truly DID order 3 sides of tartar sauce that the waiter wasn't even willing to write that part down and probably didn't put it into the computer.

So yeah, bad service is most of the time a service issue, not something else. As far as what you said about sorting details, it's COMMON SENSE WHO messed up in most cases such as if your own server brings you fries, but you ordered onion rings, gee, it's your server's fault because they aren't BLIND or ILLITERATE they couldn't have verified the written order with the food BEFORE they left the kitchen. Bad service is also when servers don't apologize for huge mistakes and then even blaming others instead of accepting fault when fault is due to them.

I only give a benefit of the doubt to servers that truly TRY their best that aren't lazy and are NICE & POLITE. The ones that are lazy that didn't want to write my order down then got it wrong I can't feel sorry for the lazy, sorry, but I can't. As a server, you are there to do WORK, NOT to not work for your tip.

This is someone in the group of people I was referring to. Just by reading her rant, she would qualify for a spit in her dish prior to serving. Compliments of the chef.

Ordering 3 sides of tartar sauce and fries tells me you're dining at a low to mid class Fish House.
Could be a Captain Dee's. You get what you pay for. Try McCormick & Schmidt or Upstream's if you want better service. Note: bring your wallet too.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Well I am a commissioned sales person, so I'd love to get a commission check even when I do a poor job.
Your commission is based on your *sales*. A server's tip is not based on how well they sell the restaurant's food. That comes from the menu and *possibly* a recommendation of the server. Apples and Oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte