Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:00 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,449,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2020 View Post
I know the same is true all over the country, but I can remember when I moved here, and you could get a nice apartment, in a safe area for around $700 for a 2 bedroom. Now I am paying almost a grand to live in a decent apartment in a decent are, with the rent expected to rise after the first year special is over. Even some of the bad area's around south blvd, think ashford place, want $849 with the special last year. I'm just venting more than anything, and I know right now that it is more affordable to buy vs rent. But it just seems like the price for what you get in most cases is ridiculous.
Be glad you're not moving to San Francisco where the rent for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom is ~$4800 a month. People who move from SF, Silicon Valley or New York probably feel like they hit the lottery when they see Charlotte rental prices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,506,796 times
I'm sorry that the rents are increasing in Charlotte. I think rising rents are a side effect of the 2008 credit crisis; so many people ended up underwater on their mortgages that many decided to simply rent instead.

I live in Los Angeles; in 2009 I paid $1,395 for this two-bedroom apartment. Now I'm paying over $1,500, and the market rent is probably about $1,850. You'd think that salaries would be much better, too, right? Not at all. I guarantee that my salary hasn't increased by 22%! That's why so many people here can't afford to live alone, even in a one-bedroom or single!

I've been lurking on this forum because I'm contemplating moving to Charlotte if the drought here doesn't markedly improve after this winter. Finding a job would be my first priority, of course, but it just so happens that my company is headquartered in Charlotte.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm sorry that the rents are increasing in Charlotte. I think rising rents are a side effect of the 2008 credit crisis; so many people ended up underwater on their mortgages that many decided to simply rent instead.

I live in Los Angeles; in 2009 I paid $1,395 for this two-bedroom apartment. Now I'm paying over $1,500, and the market rent is probably about $1,850. You'd think that salaries would be much better, too, right? Not at all. I guarantee that my salary hasn't increased by 22%! That's why so many people here can't afford to live alone, even in a one-bedroom or single!

I've been lurking on this forum because I'm contemplating moving to Charlotte if the drought here doesn't markedly improve after this winter. Finding a job would be my first priority, of course, but it just so happens that my company is headquartered in Charlotte.
Come on down! You can get a nice 2 bedroom in Charlotte starting at about $1300! A little older unit but still in a nice area for around $1150

Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 14,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

With the rate at which rents are rising now, your rent may not be much cheaper in a few years. Hopefully you can move with your company and keep the same salary else you may be paid less by a company in Charlotte.... Im sure overall the cost of living is lower than LA. But Charlotte is not as cheap as it used to be too live in.

Quote:
Seems like apartment complexs are popping up all over the place...I guess there is still a huge influx of people?...Are the job numbers growing like crazy as well?
I'm sure this has more to do with tightening credit and less people able to buy a house, or people that lost their house and now need to rent...

Old 10-26-2014, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 669 times
I agree. When I first moved to Charlotte 6 years ago a 1bdrm apt was $750, now that has definitly changed. These days a 1 bdrm apt in a nice neighborhood can run you $950 - $1200. Yes, they are building more apartment buildings and slowing down on housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte