Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 03:16 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

We are looking for friends (couples) who are around our age and have simular interests to ours.
I'm 58 years old, wife is 60 years old. Neither of us smoke and prefer to be around non-smokers. We are both "outgoing", but myself more than my wife. We live in Huntersville.
What we like:
Boating, fishing, beaching a boat and relaxing. Currently we don't have a boat, but will be getting another one.
Going out to breafast or dinner
Playing poker at home
Target shooting
Classic Rock or Country music
NFL Football
Movies
Either reply here or send us a PM.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 12-30-2007 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: added sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, we guess that there aren't any folks in our age bracket (50's/60's) in the Charlotte/Huntersville area?????? We are just having a problem meeting couples that are our age in the "friendly" South. Any suggestions???

Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Default Don't get discouraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we guess that there aren't any folks in our age bracket (50's/60's) in the Charlotte/Huntersville area?????? We are just having a problem meeting couples that are our age in the "friendly" South. Any suggestions???
A few questions . . . how long have you been here? Do you live in a residential neighborhood? Have you not met other people in your neighborhood - or are they just not in your age bracket?

I think once you get a boat, you will probably find yourself at a marina, boat dock, or in a cove - and you will just naturally run into other couples your age.

Doing some volunteer work at an area hospital might also be a good way to meet other people.

Are you retired? I think that can make it harder as so many relationships begin at work. That is why I think volunteering is a good start. We had a thread earlier that listed opportunities to volunteer. I will come back and post that link, as this may be a good place to start looking for something that would be of interest to you.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Default Here is link . . .

to lots of volunteer opportunities:

Arts and Civic Volunteer Opportunities

I hope this helps! Remember - nearly 2/3 of the residents of Charlotte are from "somewhere else" - you probably won't meet that many Southerners, as we are a vanishing breed. I think Charlotte is still a friendly town, but if you are counting on Southerners to make you feel welcomed . . . well . . . you will be meeting more transplants than natives. That can be a good thing, as you did not mention where you are from . . . but I would bet there are others who have moved here from your area, especially if you are from the NE.

Many of the newcomers have moved here w/ jobs and are in a younger age bracket. These newcomers are meeting other couples through school and through play dates w/ their kids in their neighborhoods. Many also belong to various churches and parishes . . . so they are finding other friends through church/synagogue.

People are also retiring here and there are whole communities for retirees. If you are in an area w/ mostly younger couples, you are going to have to work harder at finding other couples your age.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
We made friends very quickly by joining the Lake Wylie Yacht Club. Membership is less than $150 per year. It is not necessary to own a boat. They have about 8 social events a year and it is very cost effective.

Check around the local marinas on Lake Norman and see if a similar club is available there. I will investigate and if I find something , I will let you know.

If you don't mind the occaisional drive, we would welcome you in our club.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
If you're remotely interested in church, that is a good option as well too.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
We made friends very quickly by joining the Lake Wylie Yacht Club. Membership is less than $150 per year. It is not necessary to own a boat. They have about 8 social events a year and it is very cost effective.

Check around the local marinas on Lake Norman and see if a similar club is available there. I will investigate and if I find something , I will let you know.

If you don't mind the occaisional drive, we would welcome you in our club.
I concur with this you might want to check out the Yacht club on lake Norman. I dont remember the name of it but it on the left side of the lower part of the lake not to far from the Energy Explorium.

I can see the challenge you face since Huntersville average age population is between 25-35. Cornelius seems to me have a little bit more older population I dont know if you can make friends at the K&W or Cook House but maybe someone there can give you tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte