U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 AM

15 posts, read 35,588 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am in the market looking to make an offer to a builder for a new home (pre sale). In these times, how much can one negotiate? BTW, this is one of Lennars communities in the Charlotte area.

Being a first time buyer, any advice will help. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,946 times
Well you probably would have a stronger case if you could have closed before the end of the year. With that being said you should be able to drop the lot premium if there is one. Negotiate the price as best as you can. You should be able to figure out the sales person of what they can/not do. See if you can get some other things thrown in. Fridge, maybe upgrade appliances. There are many things you can negotiate on its finding every ones sweet spot that can be tricky!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM

126 posts, read 531,135 times
I think you'll be able to get a larger builder with more inventory to move more than an individual builder who only does a house now and then. We just closed on a new home in Gaston County with the latter type of builder. He moved a TEENY TINY BIT on the price, but did do a good bit of work that we requested (building a new wall to split up a room, adding a gas line for the range, etc.) and he's been really good about being helpful. He pressure washed everything for us, reseeded the lawn, made some adjustments to trim pieces so our refrigerator would work, etc. He's also fixing just about everything the home inspector found (as he should seeing as it's a new home.)

We still felt it was a good price for the home and we feel good about our purchase.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM

367 posts, read 927,782 times
We signed on the dotted line at the end of June to build a home with M/I in Concord. We moved into our new home at the end of November. We negotiated $33,000 off the sticker price of our house and I really think we could have done better if I had been a little more patient. There are plenty of subdivisions with empty lots the builders have to fill. They will be willing to negotiate. One area of exception is probably Huntersville. It is a victim of its own popularity with its close proximity to the lake and all. The traffic there just keeps getting worse and they just keep adding more stuff without any infrastructure to go along with it. It is still really popular and from what I have heard builders are less likely to give much. Lot premiums are a big joke. I would never pay one no matter how good the market is.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 35,588 times
Question Thanx - and one more thing...

Thanx for all your replies - so from what I am hearing, one can negotiate on the sticker price/feature upgrades depending upon the situation. Well, let me ask this - is this a good time to buy, or should one wait more? My feeling is that this is the best time, as this is the slow time of the year AND the real estate market is hit. Come spring, it will be the seasonal upswing, and things can be different again. What do other folks think?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM

367 posts, read 927,782 times
I would go today and sign a contract before the end of business, seriously

Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,472,946 times
My outlook is if you are planning on being there for a few years 5+ you should be ok. If your planning on flipping then no i would not buy right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte