Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:51 PM

26 posts, read 53,700 times

Advertisements

Hello there! My family and I currently live in Phoenix, AZ. We are considering relocating to the Charlotte area after the lease on our house expires in December 2015. We've lived in Arizona for most of our lives, though I'm originally from FL. We've always known that we wanted to leave Arizona and move somewhere that offers all four seasons. We aren't 100% decided where to move to and are still in the research phase.

We've researched various places over the years and Charlotte has always been our top choice. We've never actually been there (yet), but we've heard wonderful things about it.

I've conducted a lot of research and have spent countless hours on Google Street View, and so far we are most interested in the Matthews and Mint Hill areas, although we are open to other areas as well. We plan on visiting Charlotte in 2015.

Our goal is to live in the suburbs, but within reasonable driving distance to the city. As is the preference of most families, we would like to move to a neighborhood with low crime, excellent schools, and within driving distance of shopping centers.

I've stalked these forums on and off for a couple of years, on and off, reading various threads about these areas. Although I found the information helpful, most of what I read was from older threads (several years old, at least).

I was hoping to acquire more up-to-date information to aid my husband and I in our research, so I have a few questions. Your answers are much appreciated!

What is the average cost to rent a three-bedroom house in the area? Are there specific websites you would recommend when searching for rentals in the area?

What is the job market like there? My husband and I do not have a higher education, but have extensive experience in banking and currently work for a large bank, where we've been employed for over 8 years.

Can you please provide me with a rough estimate of the average cost of utilities and other types of expenses? For instance, how much do you typically pay on average for expenses like electricity, gas, homeowner's insurance, property taxes, car insurance, gasoline, et cetera? How much does it typically cost to renew the tags on your car?

What elementary schools in the Matthews area do you recommend?

Are most people pretty friendly there? Is Charlotte the type of place where most neighbors actually know each other, or do people tend to keep to themselves?

Is there anything else you feel a person should know when considering moving to Charlotte?

Thank you in advance. Sorry for the random questions.

Last edited by roseinthedesert; 10-26-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 02:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
If you read the threads in here the last few years then you will know that you should have jobs here lined up before you move. And the jobs you are seeking are in high demand. Have you considered transferring with the bank you are employed with?

Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM

444 posts, read 581,759 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseinthedesert View Post
Thank you in advance. Sorry for the random questions.
Never move anywhere without having a significant understand of the area. You need to understand the culture, traffic patterns, best places to live, top employers, etc. If Charlotte was so great people would not leave here and move there, etc.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
Never move anywhere without having a significant understand of the area. You need to understand the culture, traffic patterns, best places to live, top employers, etc. If Charlotte was so great people would not leave here and move there, etc.
^THIS!!! Seriously please visit first.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:56 PM

momtothree, thank you. I should have been a bit more clear. Yes, we do plan on securing jobs first, before relocating anywhere. We also plan on visiting before committing to moving anywhere. I am just seeking information at this point. I would never move anywhere without visiting first and having a job lined up. We are hoping to simply transfer within our current company, but I understand it may not be possible and we may have to apply for new jobs.

I thought I should edit since it seems a few people may be unclear as to our intentions. We still haven't decided 100% where to live, but Charlotte is our top choice and at this point we're just trying to research as much as possible to make the best decision. We then plan on visiting and if we end up deciding to move there, we'll of course secure jobs first.

Last edited by roseinthedesert; 10-26-2014 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
^THIS!!! Seriously please visit first.
Thank you. We are planning to visit this-coming year.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
That's what I am trying to do, and the reason I am asking these questions. Obviously before moving anywhere we would visit first and have jobs lined up.

We are considering a couple of other places too but Charlotte is #1 on our list, which is why I am trying to find out more information about cost of living and such.

Last edited by roseinthedesert; 10-26-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
I think the problem is, there are too many variables in answering your question.

You mentioned Matthews, so I assume you are looking primarily there? Do you think you will work in Uptown? If you work in Uptown, there might be better locations for commuting (South Charlotte near Pineville, near SouthPark, etc...) However, the nicer the neighborhood, the more the rent, as is the case pretty much anywhere.

I don't know rental prices, but I imaging you are looking at over $1,500/mo to rent a small 3 bedroom in a nicer area.

As for schools, you can look at Myers Park, Providence, possibly Butler and/or South Mecklenburg.

There are comparison calculators out there comparing cost of living in the Phoenix area to the cost of living in the Charlotte area. They actually seem quite close from my initial search.

My parents live in Phoenix, so I am somewhat familiar with it. I moved here from SoCal.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseinthedesert View Post
momtothree, thank you. I should have been a bit more clear. Yes, we do plan on securing jobs first, before relocating anywhere. We also plan on visiting before committing to moving anywhere. I am just seeking information at this point. I would never move anywhere without visiting first and having a job lined up. We are hoping to simply transfer within our current company, but I understand it may not be possible and we may have to apply for new jobs.

I thought I should edit since it seems a few people may be unclear as to our intentions. We still haven't decided 100% where to live, but Charlotte is our top choice and at this point we're just trying to research as much as possible to make the best decision. We then plan on visiting and if we end up deciding to move there, we'll of course secure jobs first.

Once you have jobs lined up, then it will be easier to suggest places. Charlotte is a big oval of a city and makes a big difference where the jobs would be. Plus rents fluctuate here and might be higher or lower in a year from December depending on inventory. But yes Matthews is very nice with an old fashioned feel in the "downtown" area. I often go shopping in and around there. It's also friendly.

As for cost of living, rentals would easily be $1300-$1600 for a 3 bedroom house in a nice area. Salary tend to start low here but I don't know how AZ is.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Hey roseinthedesert! I too live in the Phoenix area and am looking at possibly relocating to Charlotte! I have wonderful memories of living there prior to moving to Phoenix for a job 15 years ago. It is a much different place now and I am planning to visit soon to get a feel for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte