Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
In 1940 Charlotte had 146 churches for 100,000 people. Do you think Philadelphia had 146 churches when their population was 100,000? This is 1 church for every 684 people.
Well Philadelphia hit 100K people a full century before Charlotte; at that time there weren't nearly as many denominations in existence. But to be fair, the proliferation of churches in a Southern city like Charlotte has almost everything to do with the decentralized, fractured nature of evangelical Protestantism as opposed to the more centralized nature of mainline Protestantism and Catholicism which has a much greater presence in Northern cities like Philly. But it's a pretty interesting stat nonetheless; I wonder what it looks like for other Southern cities historically and presently?

Quote:
This list has us at #8 based on current counts. Philadelphia isn't on the list. If we had maintained the same rate we would have been in the top 3 in the country. It's a reputation earned based on truth of churches per person, not just colloquial banter.
Definitely not surprised Philly isn't on the list; several of its beautiful, historic churches no longer house active congregations.

I never said that Charlotte's reputation as a "churchy" city was just colloquial banter, but that other cities that haven't officially been known as the "city of churches" probably have been known as such colloquially. I get your overall point, but I don't think it really strengthens Charlotte's identity in a region already known for having lots of churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,108 times
Southbound - I would be interested to hear more about Charlotte's ties to Philadelphia's original settlers.

Mutiny - I think we agree.

Charlotte means a lot of things to a lot of different people indeed.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:18 PM

398 posts, read 497,881 times
Quote:
Southbound - I would be interested to hear more about Charlotte's ties to Philadelphia's original settlers.

Central NC was largely settled by the Scots-Irish, protestant Scots who the english crown had resettled in northern ireland. They began leaving in the early 1700's, mostly arriving in Philadelphia, and as ensuing waves of immigrants came, they began moving west, and then south, into Virginia, NC and SC on what became known as the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road.

In Charlotte, the immigration brought names that are familiar even now, such as Polk, Davidson, Alexander and Spratt, among others. Its also why Charlotte is such a Presbyterian city.

You can read more here:

A History Of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County- CH1
The Scots-Irish From Ulster and The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_Americans

Old 04-19-2016, 02:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true, but of the South's Big Four (Atlanta, DFW, Houston, Miami), Houston probably has the weakest identity. Come to think of it, cities mostly known for a pillar of the local economy, tourism and entertainment excepted, and not much else tend to have somewhat weak identities.
They are also known for the dumb culture of "lean" "purple drink" and Houston rap, along with other hip hop cultures like "slab" cars.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:29 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:

Most of the colonial-era Scotch-Irish & Germanic immigrants entered either the port of Philadelphia or the port of Wilmington (then part of the lower counties, later Delaware ) they travelled down The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road. Again, there was an influx to the area after the mid 1950s, for about 20 years, when the mills were closing in Philadelphia. Before WWII, many people moved to Philadelphia from this area.

Although Charlotte gives the appearance of being a new city, they would do well to figure out a way to to trade on being established in the 1700s. Maybe it would mean putting up a ton of statues. I don't know. They can't exactly run a tourism campaign & say Sherman didn't burn down our history. We tore it down ourselves.

Charlotte started out as a trading post. I helped a guy in Georgia find some information for genealogy. He found me on some genealogy billboards & he had traced one of his ancestors back to Wrightsborough in northern Georgia. He found me exchanging information about Wrightsborough. His ancestor married a Quaker girl who had gone there from NC. We found that they had married at Charlotte, where the ancestor's uncle had established an Indian trading post.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
They are also known for the dumb culture of "lean" "purple drink" and Houston rap, along with other hip hop cultures like "slab" cars.
That's only known to a very small population of ratchet Black folks lol.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:44 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,339 times
New Nascar city

Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,414,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Dumb? If Houston's Urban culture is dumb I want to know what you think about LA, London and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte