Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

I don't mind extra young'uns coming by. If there is candy left over then I'll eat it and that stuff is bad for you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
We get more kids than you'd expect based on the number of houses here. I think it's neat that folks from nearby think so highly of my neighborhood that they prefer to come here over their own.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I kept my child in our neighborhood - walked to the houses, but we did go see specific friends around town - and had to drive there.

I think it is tacky as all get out to load up the car and make the rounds to other neighborhoods to trick or treat, unless there are friends in those neighborhoods that you want your children to specifically greet.

If a person is in a very rural area, there is no way to really go trick or treating without a car.

Having said all that, I think it is ridiculous to load up the car and go marauding in other neighborhoods where you don't even know people -- just so your kids can bring home a pillow case full of bad nutrition.

Call me whatever for feeling that way. It's tacky to hit neighborhoods where you have no friends just to fill up on candy.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
This OP likes to call everyone else cheap in post after post - it sounds more and more like a defense mechanism for their own cheapness. If you can't buy an additional bag or 2 of candy for the 1 day out of 365 that Halloween is then you're a cheap scrooge - period.

There are many reasons to go to other neighborhoods, the #1 for us being trick or treating with school friends.

P.S. We like the tradition of candy, but limit what our kids eat from the obscene amount collected. We try to donate about 1/2 of whatever the kids collect and let them eat the other half.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This OP likes to call everyone else cheap in post after post - it sounds more and more like a defense mechanism for their own cheapness. If you can't buy an additional bag or 2 of candy for the 1 day out of 365 that Halloween is then you're a cheap scrooge - period.

There are many reasons to go to other neighborhoods, the #1 for us being trick or treating with school friends.

P.S. We like the tradition of candy, but limit what our kids eat from the obscene amount collected. We try to donate about 1/2 of whatever the kids collect and let them eat the other half.
^ ^ ^ Yes, for most children - it is to dress up and trick or treat with kids they know (and stop by their friends' houses to compare costumes and goodies).

Good for you with limiting the junk afterwards.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildheart View Post
I read the article and I really don't get it because I like Necco wafers.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,855 times
Smile funny

I'm sure some people will like to Trick or Treat in safe areas, even if it includes strolling through other neighborhoods. People should be courteous to " BE KIND AND REWIND" back to their own neighborhood.
Some people aren't able to live in the fancier areas and want more than just A BAG OF CANDY. The gift of giving (candy) will not harm you. you're doing it for the kids, who have no choice as to where they live. give us a break. keep your lights off if you don't want any visitors tonight.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleygirl View Post
I'm sure some people will like to Trick or Treat in safe areas, even if it includes strolling through other neighborhoods. People should be courteous to " BE KIND AND REWIND" back to their own neighborhood.
Some people aren't able to live in the fancier areas and want more than just A BAG OF CANDY. The gift of giving (candy) will not harm you. you're doing it for the kids, who have no choice as to where they live. give us a break. keep your lights off if you don't want any visitors tonight.
Well in relation to ClevelandMike's other thread, the "best neighborhoods to trick or treat" aren't necessarily the pricier ones, but more so the big ones where the houses are closer together. Neighborhoods like Highland Creek, Moss Creek, Brandon Oaks, Morrison Plantation come to mind.

Last edited by GoPhils; 10-31-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleygirl View Post
Actually, people who drive their cars into other people's neighborhoods so their kids can load up on candy (and what do you mean - "just a bag of candy" ???) . . . are making it unsafe in that neighborhood for all the parents and kids out walking from house to house.

I should have made that clear. That is what I am objecting to. If people flock to particular neighborhoods where they do not live . . . then that kind of ruins the nice stroll for the people who DO live there. Instead of walking and enjoying the fun and squeals and scary decorations . . . parents are trying to dodge cars and keep their kids safe.

That is not kind or courteous at all -- to haul your kids into someone else's neighborhood and mess up the evening for the people who actually live there.

In my former neighborhood, we blocked several streets off to through traffic. Brilliant idea and it worked so much better for safety reasons.

In any case . . . Halloween is over now and I hope everyone had a fun, safe evening.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Hundreds of kids on my street in Highland Creek tonight. My kids love it, so do I. I could care less if people drive up and park. When we got tired of giving out candy, we put on the porch in a bowl.

It is the only nigt of the year where it feels like a great big block party. Go Highland Creek! Go Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well in relation to ClevelandMike's other thread, the "best neighborhoods to trick or treat" aren't necessarily the pricier ones, but more so the big ones where the houses are closer together. Neighborhoods like Highland Creek, Moss Creek, Brandon Oaks, Morrison Plantation come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte