U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM

64 posts, read 143,529 times

Advertisements

I have to comment on some of the threads I have seen on this board. I have lived in Charlotte for 5 years (moved from NJ) and reside in the Blakney area. The schools are GREAT and there is virtually no crime here. Take a look at the test scores for the schools and the crime stats for the area if you don't believe me. Are there parts of Charlotte that are less desirable? Yup, just like every other city in the country, and that's why I don't live in those areas. I chose to do some research and now live in a fabulous area for me and my family. If you are unhappy with your part of Charlotte, get out! There are so many fabulous areas here that provide great public schools, low crime and a great quality of life. I live in one of those areas, so I know of what I speak. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson12 View Post
I have to comment on some of the threads I have seen on this board. I have lived in Charlotte for 5 years (moved from NJ) and reside in the Blakney area. The schools are GREAT and there is virtually no crime here. Take a look at the test scores for the schools and the crime stats for the area if you don't believe me. Are there parts of Charlotte that are less desirable? Yup, just like every other city in the country, and that's why I don't live in those areas. I chose to do some research and now live in a fabulous area for me and my family. If you are unhappy with your part of Charlotte, get out! There are so many fabulous areas here that provide great public schools, low crime and a great quality of life. I live in one of those areas, so I know of what I speak. Thank you
You're welcome?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,755,540 times
Quote:

You're opinion doesn't count, b/c a) you did some research b) your obviously choosing to be proactive and c) you seem to be content with the choices you've made, and, aren't afraid to make new choices and adjustments if necessary. d) you've failed to realize Charlotte isn't really a city and there are no bad guys here.

Obviously I'm being [slightly] cynical but that's generally how you'll be viewed particularly by all the out of state Charlotte Observer readers.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,283,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Obviously I'm being [slightly] cynical but that's generally how you'll be viewed particularly by all the out of state Charlotte Observer readers.
That should be a definite no no ... anyone remotely considering moving to Charlotte should never ever read that newspaper ... gloom, despair, and agony ... deep, dark depression, excessive misery! Of course that sells newspapers doesn't it!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That should be a definite no no ... anyone remotely considering moving to Charlotte should never ever read that newspaper ... gloom, despair, and agony ... deep, dark depression, excessive misery! Of course that sells newspapers doesn't it!
Yes! God forbid the newspaper actually reports the news!!!!

I know! I'd rather NOT know what's really going on around me. I don't want my newspaper or local newscasts to tell me the bad things that might affect me, I want my newspaper and newscasts to paint everything in rainbow-like colors. Keep me oblivious to the things that may harm me.

It's clear that a few of you don't like what the Charlotte Observer is printing, but have they ever reported a murder or crime that didn't actually happen? Don't you think they have an obligation as a news resource to tell you when it does happen?

I guess the local networks are just as guilty too, right? I see the same things reported on their newscasts that I see in the paper and on the website.

When I read about the high cost and property tax issues in New Jersey, I don't look at it like, "nj.com and the star ledger are all doom and gloom, don't pay attention to them". It is what it is. Period. Same with what's being reported in the papers here. It is what it is. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

Please...like I've said (which NOBODY has bothered to counter): if it didn't bleed, then something else would have to lead.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,755,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

I know! I'd rather NOT know what's really going on around me. I don't want my newspaper or local newscasts to tell me the bad things that might affect me, I want my newspaper and newscasts to paint everything in rainbow-like colors. Keep me oblivious to the things that may harm me.

It's clear that a few of you don't like what the Charlotte Observer is printing, but have they ever reported a murder or crime that didn't actually happen? Don't you think they have an obligation as a news resource to tell you when it does happen?

I guess the local networks are just as guilty too, right? I see the same things reported on their newscasts that I see in the paper and on the website.

When I read about the high cost and property tax issues in New Jersey, I don't look at it like, "nj.com and the star ledger are all doom and gloom, don't pay attention to them". It is what it is. Period. Same with what's being reported in the papers here. It is what it is. You don't have to like it but it is what it is.

Please...like I've said (which NOBODY has bothered to counter): if it didn't bleed, then something else would have to lead.
You are 100% correct and on point in that the media should (and is) reporting what is happening on a local, state, national, and international level. If anyone has ever remotely dabbled in how we learn or retain information, fear and pain typically provide *one* of strongest and most lasting memory imprints. So yes, news that creates a sense of heightened awareness due to fear will usually be more likely to be breaking news than a story of 4 West Charlotte kids who grew up to be VPs and EVPs at fortune 100 companies (a true story).

So there is no issue in reporting and consuming that type of "news" (I purposely didn't categorize it as negative), the issue is when it's presented as the only side of what's obviously a two headed coin. Someone (who lives here) will say they understand the issues of the area and have chosen to be mindful and proactive *and* are still capable of leading very happy and productive lives day in and day out. Others, don't seem to be capable of chewing bubble gum and walking at the same time and couldn't grasp the concept I've just mentioned.

One of the neat things about internet forums, blogs, and other social forums like CD is that it can counter or add to what the media *chooses* to push as being *important* to you and me. So relative to crime in Charlotte, yes there is crime, you'll see a lot of break-ins, illegal drunk drivers, bank robberys, etc. You'll also learn that certain types of crime are more likely to occur closer to the heart of the city, and that the bad guys also know how to drive so they get travel to the "fat cats" and commit crimes there also. However there is so much more to the crime discussion than just home break-ins, and ticking off murders as they occur.

The biggest challenge new comers face will be gaining familiarity with a new area. Living in a region for a period of time you become subconsciously aware of your surroundings. I've grew up in Miami where the good and bad areas were separated by turning a corner, crossing a street, or the proverbial railroad tracks. Coconut Groove is one of those paradoxes in which you can have million dollar "old money homes" and a less than 1 minute drive you're in what feels like the movie "Escape from New York" (no pun intended). I've marveled at how you can drive downtown Coconut groove, see families walking around, mothers pushing carriages, people window shopping, getting ice cream on a Friday night, and the poof a few blocks down your hoping you don't catch the red light. It's been like this for years.

So Charlotte has a lot to offer, and *is going to be different* than where you originated there's no doubt about that. Simply head to (or buy some) credible advice and you'll increase your likelihood of making a well informed choice.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 PM

102 posts, read 85,404 times
Simpson, nice joke. thanks for making me laugh in this new year

Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
Quote:
I love it up in Huntersville I am only 15 mintutes to uptown. I never fear walking by myself. Only time I hear loud shots is actually people down the street who went over to South Carolina to purchase their fireworks.

There has been a few break ins but the police ruled for this area I am living it was just lack of parental control over the lives their teens live.
My brother lives here and he always leaves his house unlock and car unlock with windows down at night. I think it risky especially for someone who has loose cash, coins, GPS, laptop.

I am more cautious I do not get in the car without locking the doors, much less a quick run in a convience store. I observe who is near me when I pull up to an ATM and I do my best to not leave valuables in plain site in a car. In todays's day of time I just dont believe setting myself up to be a victim.

I know my neighbors the ones on my left side The Whites we let each other know when we are going out of town and they and I am are aware of the typical cars that are in their driveway.

Crime I am sure happens but it very small and most of the time the cops are busy giving out traffic violations due to the low crime. Check here and you can see that traffic violations out weigh more other crime occuring in the area.
Crime Scene

Simpson12 I enjoy mostly that type of utopia you described
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM

64 posts, read 143,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlazygc View Post
Simpson, nice joke. thanks for making me laugh in this new year
Enlighten me on what was funny. I'm sorry I don't have a lot to complain about. Perhaps I can report on that suspicious looking 14 year old who just passed by on his skateboard. Looks menancing. Or, would you rather I complain that the schools in my area only have 95% pass rates? Damn! Why can't those 5% keep up? Maybe I should move.

Again, enlighten me.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

Brian, you know my main complaint about the Charlotte media is that the wide area it covers every day (9 counties) gives a false impression to newcomers that many terrible things are happening all around them, when in reality they are not. This affects peoples sense of security and they become convinced "Charlotte" is not safe.

I do wish something else would lead instead of all those things that bleed - not that we shouldn't hear about random murders and crimes we need to know about to better safeguard ourselves, but there are so many other worthy stories that never get told because of all the bad news that does. I would love to hear more stories on educational issues and successes in teaching, medical breakthroughs, philanthropic deeds, how to live more green, etc... The only reason the bleeding has to lead is because the media and other types of businesses have a vested interest in keeping us living in fear - something I personally refuse to do. I hope that addresses your question or counters your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or