Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM

8 posts, read 66,887 times

Advertisements

I am considering using Pods which is the new thing now. Has anyone used them yet? Just wondering what kind of experience anyone has had with them, it seems so convenient. Are they reliable with delivery. I like to pack my own things my way and take my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 06:03 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I looked into using them when we moved, but they did not have a large enough one for us to pack our house in. We would have needed 2 pods. If you can do it in 1 pod, then I think it is a great idea. I got my mover to do it for less than the 2 pods and they did all of the work! Best of luck to you in your move.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM

35 posts, read 161,043 times
I have not completed my move yet, but I'm using PODs. It's definitely more expensive, but it is more convenient, too. I was able to pack up 1/2 my house in POD #1 in order to help clean out/stage my home. If it ever sells then I'll pack up what's left in POD #2. I will tell you that local storage in the Phoenix area is less than $70/month, however because I'll eventually be moving across country it is costing me $200/month for one POD, even though it's being stored locally until I move. Definitely not cheap, but the alternative was taking all my stuff to a storage unit load by load, then hauling it all back when it's time to move. I'm too lazy for that much effort! You can get an estimate for the costs from their site, but so far it's been an uneventful experience for me, which is a good thing.

Also, one last piece of advice... they'll try to sell you insurance. Check with your current homeowners insurance before you call the POD people. My stuff is covered by my current homeowner's policy as long as it's being stored within the state. The in-transit part is another story, though.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
We loaded a POD a year ago and as soon as our home sells will load up the 2nd one. The great thing is that once we ship them we can store them until we are ready to move into our new home. Same idea as you, I wanted to pack my own things and then I am not loading and unloading and renting trucks etc. They were very reliable dropping off and picking up. So far so good.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 52,315 times
I have been researching moving services/companies exhaustively
PODs was rather expensive
I am also a self packer

I have read wonderful things about Broadway Express.
They now offer storage cubes service & storage
comparable to PODs but cheaper
They handle local & interstate moves, but as a freight company.

If you have too much stuff for a cube (like me).
You can also elect to pay for space on a truck which you
load with stuff you have packed. They will leave truck
(instead of storage cube) over weekend for you to load.
You can also hire the driver on the side to assist w/loading.
I'm pretty sure they will leave cubes w/you for as long as u need to pack.
Broadway Express seems to have excellent customer service &
a great rep.
Their cubes are a new service many are unaware of.

Go here for more info - Consumer resource, not advertisements
They have a blacklist of movers & also great recommendations & moving tips
http://www.movingscam.com

Hope this helps

Last edited by Magickly; 11-03-2006 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-03-2006, 08:27 PM

98 posts, read 816,222 times
i too had too much stuff for pods and it was not cost effective. we packed so much that we filled one truck to capacity and another almost to capacity. i packed big! ihave many breakable things so i pack 'em real carefuly. many boxes only had one or two items in it. i reseach many movers and i interviewed 6 of them. i found united to be the best. the best in re: the bomb their trucks after every delivery completion, the bet in re: insurance, the best in re: the quality of workmanship, i.e. they put runners down i your new and old house, banister protectors, etc. we all included in the price, the best re: the thickness and density of the padding they were giong to use, etc. overall the rep. had the best presentation package and came well prepared. hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 10,030 times
Default I used pods!

Hello! We just got done moving to the queen city here about a week ago, and we used pods to get here. A good friend of mine had recently moved here and had recommended it to me, so I gave it a try. She gave me a code for a discount too - R121. Got a reasonable quote on the phone, and scheduled them to come out the next day.

They came out with them on a flatbed truck, used a neat lift (you've GOT to see this, I had to take pictures) to set it down and that was it. My husband and I loaded it up, there's a lot more room in there than you'd think.. we fit almost the whole house in one. My husband rented a small uhaul truck with a car hitch to fit some of my gym equipment and the rest of the boxes I had left over.

I called them up and they picked up the pod after we left, and sure enough they brought it out to our new house right on time. We just finished closing on the house that thursday and we had it scheduled for the friday right after. Same thing, they came out, set it down right on our driveway. Not a thing moved either, which surprised the heck out of me.

I had a good experience, and told them so. I'd recommend it to anyone. Compared to the uhaul truck, it was actually fairly similarly priced - and I didn't even have to drive the pod! Plus the convenience of a whole month to pack it was a lifesaver. It's hard to pack when you have kids constantly running around.

Just thought I'd share, since I noticed the post here. I love charlotte so far! Anyone know a good place to eat around the Mint Hill area?

<3!!! Seri

Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,579 times
I used Pack Rat, and they are less expensive than PODS. They will also negotiate storage fees (I found out when I moved the stuff to a storage unit - grrrrr) so give that a try before agreeing to a monthly fee.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM

277 posts, read 661,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxaida View Post
I am considering using Pods which is the new thing now. Has anyone used them yet? Just wondering what kind of experience anyone has had with them, it seems so convenient. Are they reliable with delivery. I like to pack my own things my way and take my time.
I've used U-Pack services thru ABF freight. Their pricing was considerably less that PODS, and the service was flawless.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:33 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Friend used ABF from FL to Boston. She said was much cheaper and very easy. Although I think you only have 3 days to load and then 3 to unload..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte