U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM

624 posts, read 1,893,138 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Charlotte and just want to know if there are any pros and cons to living in North Carolina as opposed to South Carolina. Currently I'm looking at the Fort Mill/Rock Hill area or Matthews.

Both are about the same distances from my job. Things that I am looking for under consideration is quality of life, crime, taxes, things to do. Since I am a single young male, I am not currently concerned with activities for young children or how the schools are in the area; however, this may play an important role later on.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention in the initial post - I am looking to rent an apartment, not buy at this time.

Again, Thank you.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,831 times
I would try going to the apartment guide on the net. As for the differences between the two we would need a little more info. Where you will work? What side of town may be your preference? What would you like to live near? Lots of questions, but anyway. I am a realtor with Devine Realty and would be more than happy to try to help you when you are ready to buy. I have lived in Matthews area for over 15 years. I have worked with several builders on site too. I have been an agent for about 9 years. Taxes may be a little less in Matthews. But SC used to give some tax refunds back to the taxpayers on property taxes. I would have to see what they charge now. If I can help , just let me know.

Sincerely, Russ Moncure

Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM

44 posts, read 145,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I'm moving to Charlotte and just want to know if there are any pros and cons to living in North Carolina as opposed to South Carolina. Currently I'm looking at the Fort Mill/Rock Hill area or Matthews.

Both are about the same distances from my job. Things that I am looking for under consideration is quality of life, crime, taxes, things to do. Since I am a single young male, I am not currently concerned with activities for young children or how the schools are in the area; however, this may play an important role later on.

Thanks for any input.
I'll second what you're asking, as I've been in serious contention as to whether I want to close on an apartment in Ballantyne, or Rock Hill shortly.

The rent seems to less expensive in Rock Hill I've noticed, but it's considerably less convenient.

I'm also a single man, so things such as school ratings and whatnot aren't an issue for me either....and even when it does get to that point I'll likely be living in Europe and sending my children to a considerably better than American educational system.

Anyhow, what I'm curious about is this : is there any real advantage to living in SC but working within NC instead of just living within Charlotte itself?

-Ryan

Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 PM

WRM Inc.

In response to your questions, I'll be working mostly out of town. So my primary travel will be early Monday mornings to the Airport then a drive home Thursday evenings...basically my commute is less of a concern.

As to your question about what side of town, location wise at least from reading other post/threads it seems that most people recommend living either North or South of Charlotte instead of East or West (again just what I read, still open to opinions), which is why South Carolina and the Matthews areas are my initial areas of interest.

For what I'd like near me, ideally I'd be looking for a community that offers some sort of bar/singles scene, I've seen other threads that recommend specific sites for this and have found them to be semi helpful, but really just looking for an area where my neighbors will be around my age 20s or 30s. For things like museums and theaters, the drive into the City isn't that big of a deal so I guess my primary request would be to live in an area that when I go to the grocery store, I would rather see more people buying single serving meals than servings for families...not sure if that makes sense or not.

Thanks - Tyler

Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,722,506 times
Equal distance in miles or times. Those can be totally different. What area of town would you be working in?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM

92 posts, read 333,542 times
Gas prices are typically 30 cents cheaper in S.C., but car taxes are higher. Rent is a bit cheaper too. I get for $650 in Rock Hill what would at least $1000 anywhere in Charlotte, and probably closer to $2000 uptown. Of course, there is a university in Rock Hill (Winthrop) so there are some young people, but I don't see too many single young professionals. There are a few bars here, McHale's downtown is the hotspot for Winthrop studenst and the few young professionals in town. Rock Hill also is very safe. It looks a little rough and there are of course areas where you do not want to be, but overall safer than Charlotte.

Matthews is more hit-and-miss, and I think more family-oriented. But I've only really driven through there and gone to the $1 theater on Independence.

If you're going to work at the airport, you might want to check out Ayrsley which is a new community in Southwest Charlotte. It's walkable with sidewalks and a bar or two built into the community. Can't say if it's more singles or families, but I know of a least one youngish couple living there. There is an apartment complex and townhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or