U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:49 PM

782 posts, read 3,484,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are skilled laborers that I feel should be compensated on the same level, or higher, than some white collar workers. Unskilled laborers, basically, no. I do not think that having more education necessarily equates into job skills that should pay more, but often it does.

For example, I do not think that teachers should receive the lousy low pay they receive. There seems to be something really screwy w/ a system that will pay a concrete journeyman more money than a teacher.
A concrete journey is a skilled labor.It takes five years in an apprentice program.My job as a garbageman is unskilled.The average guy probably made over 70k just working 50 hours a week.We deserve every thing we make and more.As far as teacher why do people think they should make tons of money.They are not doing physical work.Not trying to offend a teacher.I am not against people going to college,but what i see is that they are becoming more book smart thats it.Some careers maybe need more education such as in the business sector,doctors or teachers.And why does those that went to college get paid more,maybe because they have to compensate them for their time in schools and loans.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Are you saying people who have gone to college for four or more years should be paid the same as a high school graduate?

Hasn't it always been the case that higher education leads to higher wages?
No, college education should be paid more.They put their time and money into it.Blue collar workers should get paid their worth also.We do all the heavy lifting.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Just curious, why is that? I haven't lived here long enough to know, and I've never worked in an industry where unions are common. I've got opinions both pro and against unions in different industries, but why is this area of the country not pro-union?
I would like to know myself.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Just curious, why is that? I haven't lived here long enough to know, and I've never worked in an industry where unions are common. I've got opinions both pro and against unions in different industries, but why is this area of the country not pro-union?
Well, you may get some differing answers on this one. However, the history of this state (which is a right to work state) has been such that we have had two basic types of laborer jobs here - agricultural and manufacturing. Until the end of the 20th C, when jobs were exported and outsourced, this state has had such a huge need for manufacturing workers, there was really no reason for workers to unionize.

Skilled workers in the textile and furniture manufacturing industries, wh/ were this state's two largest sectors of blue collar workers, faced continual competition w/ each other as far as wage scale and benefits. If a worker did not feel he/she were making enuff, they could easily find a higher paying job at another factory in the region. Thus, wages had to keep pace in the industry w/o union assistance. Workers felt they could negotiate on their own (w/o paying union dues) . . . managers and owners realized they had to pay a fair and market-competitive wage to keep workers - especially the most skilled ones.

There are unions here - some healthcare workers, firefighters and teachers belong to unions, for ex.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
A concrete journey is a skilled labor.It takes five years in an apprentice program.My job as a garbageman is unskilled.The average guy probably made over 70k just working 50 hours a week.We deserve every thing we make and more.As far as teacher why do people think they should make tons of money.They are not doing physical work.Not trying to offend a teacher.I am not against people going to college,but what i see is that they are becoming more book smart thats it.Some careers maybe need more education such as in the business sector,doctors or teachers.And why does those that went to college get paid more,maybe because they have to compensate them for their time in schools and loans.
WHY SHOULD TEACHERS MAKE "TONS" OF MONEY?????

If you cannot truly understand the importance and value of teachers to our society I dont know what to say to you. A good teacher is worth her/his weight in gold! You may think physical labor is a hard thing, but in truth it is nothing compared to the mental labor involved in using your brain and mind to its fullest.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Well, you may get some differing answers on this one. However, the history of this state (which is a right to work state) has been such that we have had two basic types of laborer jobs here - agricultural and manufacturing. Until the end of the 20th C, when jobs were exported and outsourced, this state has had such a huge need for manufacturing workers, there was really no reason for workers to unionize.

Skilled workers in the textile and furniture manufacturing industries, wh/ were this state's two largest sectors of blue collar workers, faced continual competition w/ each other as far as wage scale and benefits. If a worker did not feel he/she were making enuff, they could easily find a higher paying job at another factory in the region. Thus, wages had to keep pace in the industry w/o union assistance. Workers felt they could negotiate on their own (w/o paying union dues) . . . managers and owners realized they had to pay a fair and market-competitive wage to keep workers - especially the most skilled ones.

There are unions here - some healthcare workers, firefighters and teachers belong to unions, for ex.
As of right now,are their people out their cut throating each other to work for lower wages to continue working.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

If you cannot truly understand the importance and value of teachers to our society I dont know what to say to you. A good teacher is worth her/his weight in gold! You may think physical labor is a hard thing, but in truth it is nothing compared to the mental labor involved in using your brain and mind to its fullest.
I want everyone to make money.What should teachers make mountain lover?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:

But the unions in NC don't seem to have any teeth. Teacher salaries are low in NC and I never hear anything like strike talk or a walkout or sickout at contract negotiation time as you would in the NE. But conversely on that point, situations like I came from in NJ, where the cost of education drives taxes to the breaking point for residents explains the plethora of newcomers to the Charlotte area. There must be places that can manage to strike some sort of balance, but I haven't found any on all of the state forums on CD that I've looked at.!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
I am not a native, so I cannot speak to the precise history behind how this all occured - but I do know there were strong community/mill owner relationships which prevented the organizing of many labor unions back in the 20 and 30's. It is pretty clear that while labor unions did serve a very important purpose back in the early part of the 1900's - they are not the best thing anymore for any state that relies solely on them for all their labor needs. It is a proven fact that Right to Work states are much healthier states economically. And I for one much prefer living in this kind of state versus one with corrupt unions that drive the price of everything up for all consumers.

Here is a link to a discussion on this: http://www.nrtwc.org/nl/nl200507p8.pdf

Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM

578 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

My reply was going to be much, much less civil, so thank you for saying what I was thinking. And I am still biting my tongue at the moment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte