U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I like it in charlotte.Far as substandard housing goes we have the same builders who is building the same housing with cheap materials here illinois.Example,using engineer plastics instead of metal piping for gas lines.I guess its good enough for code but doing whatever they can to save a buck.I was just curious about why wages are lower.The cost is about the same beside taxes.
Well, the other things are . . . transportation - don't know if you use mass transit there . . . you would most likely need a car here. So there is that expense that you should consider. As for taxes, my son is in a 'burb of CHI and his taxes are higher than mine on a house about the same size (my house and lot are bigger, but his cost more). Then there are the utilities - his are higher than mine. He and I think the cost of groceries is about the same . . .

So it is just a matter of balancing all that out. Plus - you mentioned a pension - and if you won't be getting that . . . that would be another minus.

As for your wife, once she gets her RN, she will make a nice salary but I don't think it will be $75,000, unless she is supervising and getting overtime.

Just weigh all that out.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM

578 posts, read 2,350,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As for your wife, once she gets her RN, she will make a nice salary but I don't think it will be $75,000, unless she is supervising and getting overtime.

Just weigh all that out.

I second that. My best friend is an RN, and she took quite the paycut to move here. I know she has 5 years' experience, is a labor and delivery nurse, and she makes about $52k, no overtime.

Despite the paycut, we were talking today about how we LOVE Charlotte and wouldn't think of moving back to the Pacific Northwest. There's more to life than how much your paycheck is. Our quality of life is so much higher here.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I second that. My best friend is an RN, and she took quite the paycut to move here. I know she has 5 years' experience, is a labor and delivery nurse, and she makes about $52k, no overtime.

Despite the paycut, we were talking today about how we LOVE Charlotte and wouldn't think of moving back to the Pacific Northwest. There's more to life than how much your paycheck is. Our quality of life is so much higher here.
Seapr!!! We looked at a job in Olympia, WA several years back . . . and we were really surprised how much higher the COL was . . . and how little house our money would buy! Plus I just didn't think we could take the weather . . . so damp and rainy when we were there. We went into Seattle and hard to see the "charm" w/ the rain pouring, cold and foggy. I was so glad we were able to move to NC!!!! Glad you like it here. . .

Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM

578 posts, read 2,350,893 times
Ani, you can barely buy a garage in Seattle with what I paid for a 2500 sq. foot house here. Getting to live in Charlotte is a bonus Olympia is still "affordable" by their standards! I don't mind the rain (although Charlotte rain and Seattle rain are two different things!), but I must say I have enjoyed all the sunshine!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM

782 posts, read 3,482,506 times
Quote:
Well, the other things are . . . transportation - don't know if you use mass transit there . . . you would most likely need a car here. So there is that expense that you should consider. As for taxes, my son is in a 'burb of CHI and his taxes are higher than mine on a house about the same size (my house and lot are bigger, but his cost more). Then there are the utilities - his are higher than mine. He and I think the cost of groceries is about the same . . .

So it is just a matter of balancing all that out. Plus - you mentioned a pension - and if you won't be getting that . . . that would be another minus.

Just weigh all that out.
yes you are correct.Rn starting range is around $25 an hour in the county hospital and up to $36 with exp.Yes you will have to work some ot to make that type of money.More likely you would.I want to live the american dream.Just how many people can live that dream on $12 a hour.Quality of life have to be more than just mild winters.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Ani, you can barely buy a garage in Seattle with what I paid for a 2500 sq. foot house here. Getting to live in Charlotte is a bonus Olympia is still "affordable" by their standards! I don't mind the rain (although Charlotte rain and Seattle rain are two different things!), but I must say I have enjoyed all the sunshine!
We found a small, new house we could live with - for $469,000. Everyone kept saying - but you have a view of Mt. Ranier! All I could think was - these are not real hardwood floors . . . the granite countertops were not solid - they were squares . . . no A/C . . . no moulding and trims . . . no real masonry fireplace . . . no laundry room . . . small lot . . . and for this, I am to feel good about $469,000??? That buys a nice home here.

I am a native, so it was great to get back to NC. I have heard people say - you get used to the rain . . . all I know is . . . I look at the weather map these days, mentally pin point Seattle/Olympia, and think . . . thank you, thank you that I didn't have to find out about how it is to adjust to the weather!!!!!

Back to Booboy . . . you just have to decide what is most important to you - and if the lowered salaries will buy you a lifestyle you want.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 PM

782 posts, read 3,482,506 times
Quote:
We found a small, new house we could live with - for $469,000. Everyone kept saying - but you have a view of Mt. Ranier! All I could think was - these are not real hardwood floors . . . the granite countertops were not solid - they were squares . . . no A/C . . . no moulding and trims . . . no real masonry fireplace . . . no laundry room . . . small lot . . . and for this, I am to feel good about $469,000??? That buys a nice home here.

I am a native, so it was great to get back to NC. I have heard people say - you get used to the rain . . . all I know is . . . I look at the weather map these days, mentally pin point Seattle/Olympia, and think . . . thank you, thank you that I didn't have to find out about how it is to adjust to the weather!!!!!

Back to Booboy . . . you just have to decide what is most important to you - and if the lowered salaries will buy you a lifestyle you want.
I dont think i can survive on 35k a year with food,real estate,taxes,and consumer good on the rise.Plus two children to care for. Burns me up the thought of doing the same job for half the pay.The sun shines everywhere.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

49 posts, read 154,489 times
Why the **** did I get a 4 year degree, and a masters degree. All I had to do is **** around and I could become a garbage man who marries a RN and make good ****ing money. What the ****!!!! This is bull****! What the **** does a garbage man have to do - lift heavy things and drive a truck. Sure there is the crap and filth to deal with but all of humanity has to deal with that on a daily basis. With that ind of money I can buy me some nice ******* and keep them like horses in my stable. Fo Real, yo! Moderator cut: Flaming: Debate ideas and not the members of city data

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-02-2008 at 01:17 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,514,026 times
To the OP, Booboy: Moderator cut: Personal attack: Debate ideas and not the members
to say that garbage men deserve to be paid more than teachers! Dear Lord in heaven, what is wrong with people nowadays?? One of the reasons garbage men here don't get paid much is because they are too d*** lazy to do much! If you have a bag sitting beside your can, it will still be there when you get home b/c the lazy*** garbage guy riding on the back of the truck can't pick it up! No way do you deserve to be paid more than even me....I have to use my brain on my job and that is something that deserves to be compensated. You need to stay in Chicago. It's people like you coming to NC that are ruining it!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-02-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM

5,545 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc melchiori View Post
Why the **** did I get a 4 year degree, and a masters degree. All I had to do is **** around and I could become a garbage man who marries a RN and make good ****ing money. What the ****!!!! This is bull****! What the **** does a garbage man have to do - lift heavy things and drive a truck. Sure there is the crap and filth to deal with but all of humanity has to deal with that on a daily basis. With that ind of money I can buy me some nice ******* and keep them like horses in my stable. Fo Real, yo!
marc - Calm Down! I've got a better example for you. A town where I used to live in NJ had its Chief of Police retiring. He managed to get a college degree on the town's dime while working for the police force. He had 34 yrs in and was retiring at 55. His salary was $183,000 and his pension from the state was going to be $121,000 with free health care for life. Plus they owed him for his unused sick and vacation time which came to $311,000 which they had to pay him as a lump sum. Not bad for a cop in a suburban town of 17,000! You only get what you can extract from your employer I guess!

Last edited by mm34b; 01-02-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte